• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Things to make with Rabbit pelts?

honkey

.270 WIN
My fiancee and I are moving into a house at the end of the month and I plan on raising rabbits for meat in the backyard. I want to tan the pelts and make as many useful items out of them as possible. I know that many people make blankets, hats, gloves, etc. and I want to make all those items too, but I am anxious to find out if the pelts are strong enough to make holsters. Does anyone here have experience with this?

I've never done any serious holster making, other than a few knife sheaths and other small things, but I would think a rabbit skin, being as thin as they are, especially cage raised, would not hold up too well with a lot of weight like a loaded pistol or long gun scabbard.

I'm not even really sure they'd make a good knife or tomahawk sheath if the edged weapon was really sharp. Rabbit pelts are generally thin and fragile.

I've done quite abit of leather work. Generally, for holster or knife sheaths, you want something in about the 6 to 8 oz range. Leather thickness is measured in oz, each ounce is equal to 1/64". For slings, I like using 10 oz leather for example.

Kid skin leather is also pretty thin, but generally more durable than rabbit skin. Rabbit skin with the hair could make a super nice lining though.

I personally haven't used rabbit skin for any projects, just hasn't fit any of my needs.

Back