• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Decided I better buy a little bit

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
Yeah, I know. I'm way behind on putting together a semi-decent reserve of ammunition.

Not a lot, mind you. Just a little bit. You know... for if times present themselves where it is difficult to afford or find ammo.

I'd like to have maybe a hundred or two rounds for each of the few guns that I own. It wouldn't take up much space, really. It's only a few guns so there wouldn't be THAT much to put away.

I recall the days about four years ago when guns and ammo were flying off store shelves and it was next to impossible to find even common stuff like .380 Auto ammunition. Back then a box of 50 .380 FMJs was going for almost $60 at online suppliers because there was none on retail shelves. Hollow point ammo for handguns? Forget about it!! No, I'm not kidding.

no_ammo_at_WalMart.jpg

So today I got off my butt and did something to get more prepared.

I drove to one store and bought a pound of Unique smokeless powder for $20.70 OTD and then stopped at another where I bought 1000 Winchester large pistol primers for $29.95 plus tax.

It's a start.

I own a .22 rifle and I think it would be a good idea to buy a box of 50 or 100 rounds every time I stop in Wal-mart so I never really feel a hit in my wallet that way. A box of shotgun shells is only about five bucks, too, so that wouldn't be all that hard to slowly start to accumulate some reserve.

Anyone here feel that they are adequately stocked or ( if not) do you have any suggestions for becoming better stocked? I'm not talking "Doomsday Prep", just talking out loud about owning a reasonable quantity and having a plan if shelves ever become empty again.

I'm hoping Santa will bring me a Lee reloading set for Christmas. I have 500 9mm brass and 300 .223 on hand to start with. I saw Cabelas has back orders on primers so I went out last night and picked up what I'll need locally. Getting the empty brass loaded up will help the inventory get to where it should be. I need to ramp up the .22 LR purchases as it seems to disappear fast.

I'd have twice the .223 brass if the Mini 14 didn't throw it half way across the county. Smaller port gas block is also in the near future.

Stores around here are still decently stocked.

Our stores have a decent supply of ammo. It's not as bad as it was 4 years ago by any stretch right after the election, but I fully expect that will change between now and 2016. Whether by Congressional Laws, or Executive Order. My honest opinion, more likely the latter. And probably a mixture of both.

Many have grown tired and weary of expecting that any day our freedom(s) will be penned away, so all I can tell you is that if you feel that way, do something about it, while you can, and as you can.

And if by chance nothing changes, ammo prices are not going to ever be any cheaper than they were yesterday, so if all goes well, you can go out several times a year with the wife and kids and plink until your heart is content.

Either way, I cannot think of a better reason to buy while you can. Even the Bible talks about years of good times, and years of bad times and says to stock up while you can and sell your cloak to get a sword if you have to. So that isn't a new way of thinking.

Preparing for the worst has been around since the Biblical days.

I remember driving all over town trying to find .380 ammo a few years back and had no luck whatsoever. There was a local store here that tried to sell me a box of 25 jhp .380 for $50. Needless to say I kept looking elsewhere. Then when .380 finally hit the shelves there was no .45. Since then I maintain a minimum supply for each caliber and make it a point to replace what I intend to shoot, before I shoot it. When times get tough and ammo gets hard to come by I don't necessarily look to buy more, I just shoot less...

I have about 2000 223, 500 9mm, 250 slugs , 250 00B, some bird shot, 3000 22lr, 200 30-06, 300 16g bird, 50 20g bird, mostley reloads ...and a hand full of 410. Some 357 mag,38 sp, 44 mag for Contenders….that I am getting rid of.
500 large rifle, 1000 small pistol, 1000 small rifle primers, 500 Win 209(12g) bunch of shotshell guts.Blue Dot, Herco, AA#5,HS6 powder probably a few lbs, a bunch of Barry 223, 9mm, couple hundred lbs of lead for casting
Tomorrow I will have 300 Hornady XTP 180 gr 10mm projos, 200 10mm Starline Brass and a Lee 10mm/40sw carbide 3 die set…..I need some large pistol primers

Ammo seems to be holding good here, 4 years ago I had a hard time finding 22lr.
Guns on the other hand are going fast and the people buying them that I have seen……fish out of water

I have a small supply. :cool:
A few hundred rounds of all my handgun calibers.
.22's I have a thousand or so.
7.62 x .39 for my AK47 I have a spam can with 700+ rounds left.
12 gauge, 20 gauge and .410, I have enough powder, primers, wads and lead for THOUSANDS of rounds.
I am ready for WWIII :D or at least the first couple of weeks of it. :shock:

I could always use a little more, I picked up 1k of .223 and .22lr before the election, I could use more .224 bullets, I have nearly 500 bullets for all my pistols for reloading, Could always use more powder, I think I have nearly two spam cans for my Mosins and more 12ga. Which is a cheap buy, for now.
Dang, I guess I better get crackin, I thought I was doing ok... :lol:

I really can't decide how much is enough. It does seem like whenever I spot any sort of buckshot sale, I apparently don't have enough. :) Take care. Tom Worthington.

You know, I feel really understocked. I won't say exactly how much I have and of what, but like you mentioned, I just try and pick up a box or two here and there as I'm able, order online when I can, and it adds up.

I've been able to go out a few times for some casual shooting without regard for diggin into what I'm comfortable bein left with, which I would guess to be in the hundreds.

Like LES, my preference is to replace what I intend to use before I use it. However, from buyin a little at a time as I have been, it isn't too bad if I don't.

My walmarts looked just like that pic you posted just not too long ago! They're mostly stayin stocked now, but rifle rounds are beginnin to fade again.

Wow. I really envy you guys. The ammo I have could all fit in my sock drawer. ;)

nitesite said:
Wow. I really envy you guys. The ammo I have could all fit in my sock drawer. ;)

Wow! I get antsy if I'm runnin less than say 300 rifle rounds, or less than 250 combined shotgun rounds. Handgun ammo, I don't mind havin a little less, but no less than it takes to fill each magazine.

I guess as a rule for me, the minimum would be to have every magazine filled and enough to fill it again.

Oh, FWIW, I have a friend with literally more than 10,000 rounds of .223/5.56 and counting and he just recently began reloading after ordeing brass,bullets, powder andprimer. He doesn't plan to ever run out I don't think. He also has a good paying job and has no children nor is he married.

Oh, FWIW, I have a friend with literally more than 10,000 rounds of .223/5.56 and counting and he just recently began reloading after ordeing brass,bullets, powder andprimer. He doesn't plan to ever run out I don't think. He also has a good paying job and has no children nor is he married.

Sounds similar to a friend of mine. What I know of it boggles the mind and wallet. Rossignol reminded me that I am understocked on shotgun ammo...how could I forget that posting on MO?

Nitesite, it can all be rectified with a few phone calls and a credit card though you might scare the UPS driver.

Mine fluctuates a lot and happens to be up right now, then I'll go through a pant load and be low for a while.
Since I have been reloading more in the last couple of years I do have much more ammo around at a given time it seems.
It’s the circle of life, we sit down and reload for a week with any spare time we can get , ammo stacks up, you never want to do it again, shoot a ton , have fun, clean guns…..reload for a week

carbinemike said:
Nitesite, it can all be rectified with a few phone calls and a credit card though you might scare the UPS driver.

I started having ammo delivered to my office after the UPS guy commented about it to my wife when making a delivery at home.

I've done a pretty good job of stocking up on the ammo that I use most ... mainly 9mm. Here's how my percentages stack up:

- 9mm - 60% of my ammo
- .38/.357 = 5%
- 12 Gauge = 5%
- 30/06 & .243 = 5%
- .22 LR = 25%

I consider the ammo a good hedge against inflation. I can't loose money on it because I'll eventually shoot it so I really have nothing to loose by stocking up. If times are ever tight or prices get too crazy then I stop buying and use what I have.

So let me ask you guys an honest question.

Is a case of ammo per caliber/gauge overkill?

Granted that a case of shotgun shells is 250 rounds and a case of centerfire is 1000 rounds and 22LR is 5K.

I'm talking honest case qnty's.

Having plenty of ammo is a good thing and I don't think it's overkill ... but that's my personal opinion and situation. Properly stored, quality ammo will last a long time so mine will get shot over time so I'm not too worried about having too much. Like I said earlier, ammo prices have gone up over the last several years and it ain't getting any cheaper. It's a no lose scenario in my opinion.

I don't think its overkill either, it will get used eventually. I haven't been able to buy a case but id have done it if I were able. It def won't loose any value.

John A. said:
So let me ask you guys an honest question.

Is a case of ammo per caliber/gauge overkill?

Granted that a case of shotgun shells is 250 rounds and a case of centerfire is 1000 rounds and 22LR is 5K.

I'm talking honest case qnty's.

Not at all. That much ammunition isn't going to take up much room at all, and it's a near certainty that you'll use it up before long anyhow.

One thing I've started changing my tune about. I don't think I'm gonna buy much more "cheap" ammunition. I've decided I'd rather have less volume but higher quality. I'm gonna try and stick to domestic manufacturers too. Take care. Tom Worthington.

Back