• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Prep Did You Do This Week?

Got 2 nano streamlights one for my daughter and one for my wife both in pink. :oops: and a microstream also for my daughter.

Damn....I'll try to perk up this place, I bought more band aids....some more can food also. Sorry...not so much, but at least it a new post. :lol:

I bought 3 more spools of differently colored trotline and several packs of 2/0 hooks and large egg sinkers for the trotline.

Sure, I could've just bought one already made, but I prefer to have the materials on hand to make my own to whatever size I want/need.

Hmmmm. Sounds like another youtube video in the making.

We made 25 quarts of saurkraut. We have a lot of German ancestors in the family and in this area in general.

I forgot, we had a very rare tornado go through not to far from here a week ago. Power was out all night long, 24 hours for some. We did fine but it reminded me to stock up on lamp oil and lantern fuel which I took care of. I'm over due to service and run the generator.

It's crazy but I stayed in fla, and never did anything to prepare us for any hurricanes, I look back and think....damn.
No water to be found....I remember going to walmart looking all over trying to find candles...with no luck.

I've since smarten up. :) Now we're tornado country! :(

Just received my BOB this week. It is a Sandpiper of California 3 day pack. Looks like a real nice bag. I will try to post some pics this weekend.
Have a lighter bag coming tomorrow, either for the wife or to keep in one of the vehicles.
Also received 2 Loc & Loc containers I plan to use in the packs to keep things air and water tight.
Exercised the Honda EU2000i last weekend. Need to exercise the generator in the RV this weekend.
I have had some things set aside for emergencies, but I know I need to do better. Especially here in earthquake country.

Good to see this thread "trying" to hang in there. I've not prepped (or shot) much in the last several months ... been helping my oldest daughter focus on finding a college to attend next year. The main thing my wife and I have done the past several months is each lose 30 pounds with another 10 in focus in Q1 2013.

I'll be revisiting my 1 month supply of food and water and make sure it's being rotated and used this weekend. Before year-end, I'm going to start the process of storing 5 gallon buckets of rice, beans, pasta.

I have been collecting red 10 minute Railroad flares from work. That is for lighting.. as for water, we usually have a good supply in the fridge and food is never really scarce. We would be good for a few days until we got with family where the Deer Meat never ends :D I have 80 lbs stored myself and there are over 10 of us storing it :D

I stocked up on body fat yesterday during the Thanksgiving meal. I hope everyone had a good turkey day!

tcecil88 said:
I stocked up on body fat yesterday during the Thanksgiving meal. I hope everyone had a good turkey day!
Good one ... I think I met the FEMA 72 hour recommendation yesterday. :lol:

Today, I'm headed over to the Honeyville Grain retail store (it's on the other side of Phoenix so it will take 45 minutes just to get there) to explore their store and begin to diversify my preps into the world of freeze dried foods ... mainly fruits (10-15 year shelf life), veggies (10-15 years) and egg powder (3 years). Also while I'm there, I'll look at their stuff for 5 gallon buckets, O2 absorbers, etc... for when I start storing pasta, rice, beans, etc... Honeyville Grain is one of the few places I'd probably trust with long-term storage foods; it's been around for decades.

We don't have any places like that around here.

I'd go to it if there were though.

John A. said:
We don't have any places like that around here. I'd go to it if there were though.

Yes ... kinda lucky. Honeville Grain (a quality company) only has 4 retail outlets ... 2 in Utah, 1 in California and 1 in Phoenix. Might as well take advantage of it. I'm betting they have the ability to taste food there too but we'll see. Like I said, I'm thinking my freeze dried and even dehydrated foods will be fruits, veggies, etc... and not actual meals but stuff I can add together with something else.

This is my first venture into the world of freeze dried and dehydrated foods so I'll let you know how it goes.

it would be cool to have a store like this here in Indiana, I will have to stsrt looking around.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

Tcecil88 and JohnA, it looks like they sell online so anyone can all partake of the offerings. They even list an offer of all orders ship for $4.49. I'd rather look around in person but online is the next best thing.

At the very least i buy 333 rounds of .22 every week. not only is it cheap and easy to store i figure they will be good to use for barter if the crap hits the fan.

I went to Honeyville Farms retail store on Friday ... very cool place. Honeyville Farms has 4 retail stores in the USA ... 2 in Utah, 1 in California and 1 in Phoenix. Given that I wanted to start expanding my storage to include freeze dried and dehydrated foods, I thought it wise to take advantage of a long-term company like Honeyville's retail store in Phoenix, even though the car ride was 45 minutes. A few observations of their store:

Online vs Store Prices: I noticed and actually talked to them about the difference in prices between their website and the store. They said their low shipping price ($4.49) to anywhere in the US is off-set by higher prices compared to their store. There was a big difference in price and I would recommend (if you have the opportunity) to purchase in their store versus ordering online, especially if you are buying larger quantities. Where you really see the price difference is in their bulk foods (i.e. rice, beans, wheat, etc...). For example, their shipping may be $4.49 but their online price for a 50 lb bag of hard white wheat is $50.99 plus shipping; in the store I could get that same bag for about $13. Here's some other differences in prices that I noticed because this is what I bought in freeze dried and dehydrated today:

- Dehydrated Carrots - $14.25 (store) vs $18.69 (online)
- Dehydrated Onions - $9.98 (store) vs $13.29 (online)
- Freeze Dried Peas - $15.45 (store) vs $17.89 (online)
- Freeze Dried Powdered Whole Egg - $15.99 (store) vs $19.69 (online)
- Dehydrated Banana Chips - $9.46 (store) vs $10.69 (online)
- Freeze Dried Mango - $18.25 (store) vs $21.59 (online)
- Freeze Dried Apples - $19.85 (store) vs $22.89 (online)
- Freeze Dried Peaches - $25.97 (store) vs $30.79 (online)

What isn't included that further reduced the store's price was a 5% reduction I received. I bought 12 total cans today and the savings in the store versus online was tremendous. Additionally, they gave me a small pocket-sized can opener for free (Black Friday I guess :roll: ) and another 15% off for 6 or more cans on my next visit (which I will be going back).

For what it's worth, I plan on using freeze dried and dehydrated for specific fruits, veggies or any individual items (powdered eggs, powdered tomato, etc...) that can be added to meals or eaten separately ... I don't plan on getting complete meals (i.e. Mountain House Chilli Mac) at this time though that could change in the future.

Helpful/Friendly People: it was refreshing to have face-to-face discussions with people about storing food for the long-term. We usually have to keep quiet about our business but that wasn't necessary here because they know why you are there. That was cool. They were honest, knowledgeable people and brought up some good discussion points. For example, I talked to one of the ladies about the FD Powdered Whole Egg. She agreed that it didn't stick well for scrambled eggs and would probably be best if mixing it with other things. She said the Egg Whites were probably a better product for scrambled eggs but she was really impressed with Ova Easy Whole Eggs. She said Ova Easy eggs were tremendous and those were the best/closest thing to real scrambled eggs. Unfortunately, they didn't have any in #10 cans and I chose not to purchase the pouch.

Variety of Products: they have lots of variety (even had MH #10 cans), products, tools, etc... that made this store cool to shop in. I actually picked up a couple of 6 gallon buckets and gamma lids too and had a great conversation with one of the younger (18-20 years old) kids about storage in buckets.

Bottom Line - if you ever have the opportunity to visit their store it is worth the trip, both in cost savings and product. I would highly recommend this store and I would recommend visiting and receiving food directly from a company on their premises versus online if you have the option - especially for heavier items like rice, beans, and grains - because it will be cheaper.

Back