• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Employment in private security (long)

This will be a long one.....Also kind of a gripe....

Alright guys I am a young guy (27) who is still trying to find meaningful employment or a career I guess you could say. I have a friend who is an armed security guard for a decent size private security company that does civilian security jobs through out my state. I have been very interested in this type of work as well as law enforcement but I wanted to try something like this before I invest the time in trying to get into law enforcement. My only problem is I have no prior military or LEO experience and I am told by my friend who is prior army that I should apply but my chances are slim.

I have no professional training or certifications with firearms except for a state CPL. That being said I have years of firearm experience and training received through my father who was 27 years Navy and my brother who was 3 years Navy. Both of them have taught me how to handcuff people, combat in tight quarters such as a ship and it honestly is a hobby to me. I have ran several live fire scenarios and am very proficient with a handgun, rifle, and shotgun. I handle these arms the same way they were trained to handle them and I have even been asked while at the range by a few people if I was ex military because of the way I shoot. I have unarmed combat training through a mixed martial arts gym that focused on law enforcement self defense however once again it was not a certification type course. I know none if this is a replacement for real life experience but my friend nor the other two guys he works with were deployed over seas. In fact one was discharged for medical reasons after 2 years service and my friend was discharged just over a year for a hardship discharge I believe. I cannot see how that much limited service would put them light years ahead of me and that is how it seems when I call around and ask about employment at local security companies.

I had one interview with a local company about unarmed security for 8 dollars an hour for 3 10 hour shifts. The lady must of missed that I checked no when asked about prior military or LEO experience because as soon as she got to that part of the interview she told me I didn't have the qualifications needed to patrol an abandoned warehouse unarmed in an suv. Seems like they are asking for quite a bit and offering very little pay for that particular job.

So with that said, are there any current security guys here who could give me any tips? I am going to submit a resume to my friends company tomorrow or Monday and he told me he would introduce me to his boss. Is there anything I should tell him or say to him that would make me look more interesting or qualified for employment? Anything I should add to my resume? I have a solid work history from the age of 19 to my current 27. I have a little bit of community college for criminal justice and an associates in Business Administration. I know I can do what my friend does and many times he has told me the same but I just don't have that background. Thanks for any responses and thanks for taking the time to read my long winded gripe/question. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

I apologize, I can't offer any advice, but I will agree with your statement they expect an awful lot but don't pay accordingly. I had found the same thing years agowhen I considered a job with an armored car company. They wanted a candidate who could legally obtain and posess a firearm and get a class b (I think) cdl and still only pay about the same you mentioned at around $8 an hour.

Ya the pay is rather low for most. He told me he was receiving 12 and hour and working 50-60 hours per week so the overtime is there. He told me his boss is desperate for qualified candidates because of some new contracts his company has gotten for armed guards. 12 dollars an hour would be sufficient for me assuming travel was limited or I am reimbursed for my travel and possible lodging cost. I just see it as a way to get my feet wet in security and a possible move to law enforcement. There is some overlap in his job and he works with local police quite often. He relates to me that he is very busy during his shifts. With the lay offs of police officers and more and more people committing thefts it seems like the security guard field would probably provide steady work and maybe room for expansion and personal growth through promotions.

Like I stated above I have a CPL so I already can legally carry a concealed handgun. I guess that would be one bonus. I am just unsure on how to show his boss I have skills but no documentation to back it. I am no idiot and do not get off on carrying a gun nor do I pretend to be a commando or anything of the like. I just feel that I am qualified to guard persons or property while armed.

Besides isn't the actual intent of a guard to be a professional observer and reporter? They are not cops just quality observers.

chris ,just look the man in the eye and tell him he wont be disappointed with you.he has read your resume,tell him you are interested in a carrier move and a long time employe. stay confident. good luck.

I have done several stints of security work.

Both unarmed and armed, and I have also pulled some time working for the Sheriffs Office/Corrections.

Nothing personal, but you won't ever catch me doing another unarmed security job. No way. Too many risks, and if you can't protect yourself, forget about protecting property or other people. And if you haven't figured it out already, criminals don't play by the same rules as everyone else and look for ways to have a leg up over anyone, including private security.

Unarmed security is more of an insurance discount than anything for the business. Or a company who has had numerous losses just to continue their insurance coverage at that location.

Working at the jail was a lot different. I did my job well, but didn't really enjoy that aspect. It's a lot more stressful and difficult, although the training and experience was very good.

The armed security I did was a bonded security enforcement officer contracted out to the State to provide security for a multi-building and multi-floor state offices. I had the same authority as any other police officer while on duty and on the grounds.

After a while, I worked my way up to supervisor and my job expanded substantially even including overviews with Dept of Homeland Security.

The pay was better, I got good hours, made some very good friends that I knew I could count on, and in all, I really enjoyed it.

But all of that seems like a lifetime ago now.

Thanks for your replies fellas. Ya I am not interested in unarmed security really but I figure if it is a way to get my foot in the door then maybe I could do it for a short time. The work my friend is currently doing is similar to the work listed above. Instead he is at an apartment complex. I'm all about working my way up and have no problem starting out at the bottom as long as there actually is a reality in reaching the top.

old mossy said:
chris ,just look the man in the eye and tell him he wont be disappointed with you.he has read your resume,tell him you are interested in a carrier move and a long time employe. stay confident. good luck.

That's what I plan on. Hopefully he will see there is sincerity in me and a deep interest in this type of work.

I'll start with Im not in the security business, nor have I ever been. The guys I know that are, all have a certain attitude. Its somewhere between cocky and confidence. Its not all run and gun, there are alot of personable skills involved.
In Oklahoma, you can get your CLEET certification in a couple years that will get you a basic LEO job.

Just don't want you to end up being another Gecko45. Be realistic about your people skills and what the job really entails.

Wasn't Gecko45 the original mall ninja?

Years of retail management has given me great people skills haha. Or at least the ability to appreciate the polite people and tolerate the ass holes. I am not cocky so maybe I won't fit in. I know my friend who does it is about the cockiest person I know and I have never understood why. He has no greater skills than I and his job and pay aren't exactly anything to be super stoked about.

I can read people pretty well and I personally am rather humble. I don't anger easy and I do not lose my cool. From my experience in retail I can usually cool down and satisfy an angry customer. Perhaps that would cross over to an unruly person?? Maybe not. Run and gun is also the last thing I would want to be involved in. Like most people using a firearm on another human being or even less than lethal tools is the last thing I want. Preventing the use of any tools, lethal or otherwise should be the ultimate goal. Observe and report with a last ditch effort to calm and then get involved would be what I THINK (correct me if I am wrong,) would be the best thing.

But anyway my friend never called nor answered my calls today so I went ahead and faxed my resume and application to the owner and wrote a short letter of interest and intent. I have an interview next week for a manager position at a checkngo. Last thing I want to do really but it's money and it pays the bills. So I guess if I don't hear anything before my interview I'll focus more on retail since that is my real work experience.

Chris, whatever became of your search for security guard employment? I know this thread is five years old, but I'm new here and still looking around at various forums, threads, etc. Just curious.

Well since Chris hasn't posted a message here in over 5 years I don't think we're going to hear from him.

But you never know . . . stranger things have happened.

Yeah, looks like it CaddmannQ. I was just curious as I wander around the Mossberg forum. I had something to share if he was still in the market for that line of work.

-Ed-

Back