• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Oil for long term metal storage

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just curious if anyone knows of a motor oil (or other type of oil) that does not contain additives that can break down over time.

I'm not talking about using the motor oil in an engine.

I mean to use it inside a mossberg JIC cache tube (for instance) to store metal parts in for long term to protect the parts from rust/contamination.

Also, the tube would need to be filled entirely with the oil and the parts would likely cause the oil to overflow out of the tube when they're inserted so as to purge the oxygen and anything else that is normally present.

I am looking for an oil base that is stable at normal temps ( ~55* f), and doesn't break down and seperate in time like all this stupid ethanol gas crap.

Hopefully you guys may know of something that would be good. I've contacted a few major car oil companies to ask the same basic question, but will probably eliminate most or all of the current synthetics.

Use a good synthetic on all the parts and weapons then put them in food saver bags. That way no O2 is present to degrade the oil and moisture can’t get in. Then put the bagged parts, gun in the tube and seal that up.....

I thought about that Oli and would be much easier and probably cheaper too, but I have seen several videos on youtube that have shown various items have lost their seal after being buried for a year.

So, I can't help but question whether vacuum sealed bags are the way to go or not.

Buy a case of Dexron-VI synthetic ATF and you won't have any flammability issue. You could virtually dump the gun from the tube, drain the bore, shake the whole thing off, and fire it. It won't contaminate primers if it gets on the shell base and shouldn't penetrate past the wads to contaminate powder if a little gets past the crimp.

Have you thought about RIG gun grease as an alternative to completely immersing it?

John A. said:
I thought about that Oli and would be much easier and probably cheaper too, but I have seen several videos on youtube that have shown various items have lost their seal after being buried for a year.

So, I can't help but question whether vacuum sealed bags are the way to go or not.
Oh, well there goes that.....damn youtube

I'd never thought about kerosene. I have some of the old kerosene in storage before all the additives that's still good and that's been almost 20 years ago now and it still burns. Dont' know about how well it protects metal though.

I also hadn't thought about auto transmission fluid either.

What is the shelf life on it?

Oli, don't sweat the vacuum sealed bag recommendation. It was a good one. I just don't know for how long it could be trusted. I do know those closet organizers that you use a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out of that seals kinda like a big ziplock don't work very well. I came home one evening from work and it looked like my closet threw up LOL

Kerosine was used to coat bare steel (hot rolled/ cold rolled) sheets, To keep stock from rusting in the machine shop. I haven't seen it used in a while, but it was used a while ago. All I know is some of our old flat stock that is coated with kerosine is about 10-15 years old is perfectly rust free. New sock we get thats no coated will rusts if we leave a bay open. I don't know why but I love the smell of kerosine. Haha

wb0704cosmoline.jpg

It may take you a while to get the gun back in action tho.... :D :lol:

I'd Use Lee Liquid ALOX. Just Coat the Metal Items & Allow to Dry.
ALOX was Originally Developed to Protect Naval Equipment from Salt Spray.
I use it 4 bullet Lube & can be Ordered Direct from Lee at:
http://leeprecision.com/1-bottle-lee-liq-alox.html
If U R going to Use it for Weapons Storage, Be Sure to Remove from the Stock
& Coat All Exterior Surfaces Well. Then Coat the Bore w/ Gun/Auto Grease & Plug the Barrel at Both Breech & Muzzle Ends using Natural or Rubber Corks/Stoppers or Wax Plugs Poured Over Patching Wads.
Also Good Idea to Pack the Action w/ Grease & Wrap in Waxed Paper.
ALOX Works Really Well & Is Easily Removed w/ Common Gun Cleaner/Solvents.
For Storing Weapons 6in PVC Sched 40 Pipe Works Great. Very Weather & Impact Resistant.
UncleSarge58

Back