• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

835 flyway series

Hi guys,

I bought the 835 flyway series last year, and have been having some trouble with it. It seems as if I leave a round in the chamber for too long, it will miss fire. Like, when I'm duck hunting and nothing is going on, I'll go ahead and shoot it, I get a miss fire, cycle it and it shoots the next round just fine. I'm wondering if a spring or something is losing tension after a while once it's cocked. Any ideas?

Thanks!

A good clean and lube most likely. Not a good idea to leave it chambered when it is not in use. Still most likely just need a little TLC.

nasa said:
A good clean and lube most likely. Not a good idea to leave it chambered when it is not in use. Still most likely just need a little TLC.

I'm really anal about cleaning my gun after a hunt, like complete break down and clean/lube. I usually do it after every hunt because I really only hunt in saltwater. And as for keeping it chambered..it's waterfowl hunting lol...we still got a lot of green wing teal, and they fly about 80 mph, so it's a necessity to keep it loaded.

Looks to me like the bolt may not be seated fully forward into battery.

Each time you load a new shell and push the forearm forward, the bolt is pushed into battery with a good amount of force. After sitting for a while you may be unintentionally applying rearward pressure to the forearm which can push the bolt back just far enough to create a gap between the firing pin and primer.

Next time you are out and sitting for a while try applying a quick, forward push to the forearm before you fire and see if you still experience the same failure...

Well, I finally got some eye to what it might be. I just got back from a nasty, wet hunt. Broke everything down and cleaned everything. I got to thinking, I'll cycle it and pull the trigger a couple times just to see if I can see anything. It will usually go full swing with the hammer to the firing pin. BUT, once every couple pulls of the trigger, it will only go half way. I'll pull the trigger again (without pumping) and it will go full swing into the firing pin. I'm confused as to why this is happening!

I read a couple other forums and people are buying new bolt assemblies for their 835's, or sending them in the a 4-6 month turn around. This is my primary duck gun, and am trying to avoid sending it in before the season is over with.

Anyone got an input on any of this?

Thanks!

Back