• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

I agree about it bein a learnin process!

I have different things on different firearms each for a different reason. I can't make any single shotgun fit every role, and while each one can pull double duty reasonably well, individually they fill one role exceptionally well. Each is outfitted for different types of shooting just depending what I feel like doin in a day.

Re: Returning to my roots..."The 500"

I as well have gone through a wide variety of forearms on my M500 haha Wooden, ribbed, ERGO, Hogue... which have I found best?

Traditional style wood or the Hogue.. lol Same with the Buttstock! I go all around the Aftermarket Accessories World and end up right back where I started haha

500A field model tactical conversion

Hey everyone,

I just ordered a six position collapsible stock, and new forend from cheaper than dirt. I'm investing in my old 500a field, and want to know if there's anything I can do to take the high gloss look off the receiver to paint it. The stock and forend I got in tan so I could paint it to my liking.

Thanks!

Re: 500A field model tactical conversion

As far as removing the factory finish you can use this...

Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover

Some cotton balls, a little steel wool, and a mask (this stuff stinks) and you'll have the barrel naked in no time. Used it on a 1911 barrel of mine and it worked like a charm...

Thanks guys, I'll give it a try. Any suggestions on heat shields and ghost ring sights? My next buy for the gun is gonna be an 18.5" barrel, and both the heat shield and sights. I found one on cheaperthandirt that is a shield and sight combo.

Re: My new build

Just wanted to put closure on this thread. Everything is working well and I have spent some quality time at the range. It will be put to the test in February when I do my next class.
It will not be lonely for long as I have a new weapon coming form Santa, a Bushmaster MOE M4.

*Drool*
Among my many WANTS and many DO NOT NEEDS.. a decent AR is on my list :p haha
Congratz on the new Rifle! I noticed the "MOE" part, Black? Tan? OD Green?

34rwz1e.jpg

First steps are done! Next thing is a barrel, 8 (7) round tube, and a heatshield w/ Ghost ring sights! There's a tan forend as well, but you can't see it in the pic

njduckslayer said:
34rwz1e.jpg

First steps are done! Next thing is a barrel, 8 (7) round tube, and a heatshield w/ Ghost ring sights! There's a tan forend as well, but you can't see it in the pic

NVM! You can see the forend haha

I am looking at doing the same thing with my 500! The high gloss too me takes away from its all black appearance. I'm very shy of trying new things like Duracoating and such lol...

I saw that you mentioned you want to get a magazine tube extension. With the model of 500 you have, you would need too purchase a model 590 magazine tube and than a 20" model 590 barrel that goes with the 8 round tube. Because the lug nut on the end of the barrel is fixed in position and cannot be removed to allow a higher capacity tube. I have the same dilemma.

This is also an option you may want to consider:
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shot ... 25124.aspx

Lookin good man!

Have you ordered the barrel yet? The 18.5" 500 barrel will work with a 5 round magazine and the 20" 500 barrel will work with the longer magazine tube, the 7 round.

On the topic of what Itsricmo mentioned, to use an actual extension would require the 590 set up as the 500 magazines can't be modified. The 5 round magazine will work with any 500 barrel except the 20".

Somethin id like to do someday is to get the shorter 590 magazine, 18.5" 590 barrel and 24" vent rib 835 field barrel!

Itsricmo said:
I am looking at doing the same thing with my 500! The high gloss too me takes away from its all black appearance. I'm very shy of trying new things like Duracoating and such lol...

I saw that you mentioned you want to get a magazine tube extension. With the model of 500 you have, you would need too purchase a model 590 magazine tube and than a 20" model 590 barrel that goes with the 8 round tube. Because the lug nut on the end of the barrel is fixed in position and cannot be removed to allow a higher capacity tube. I have the same dilemma.

This is also an option you may want to consider:
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/shot ... 25124.aspx

I've actually been looking for a barrel/tube combo that I wanted, and couldn't find it! Thanks for the link, that looks like the set up I want!

No Problem! Glad to help!
I did see that the Brownells Conversion is "Out of Stock", however, if you call them and ask what date they expect them in, they will tell you and keep you up to date through email.

Re: My Mossberg 500 build

KnesekGuns said:
Mossberg-500KGI-pkg1.jpg

New Mossberg 500 build -
12GA, 18.5″ Barrel, Cylinder, Plain Bead Sight, 6-​​SHOT
Blackhawk SHOTSHELL SLNG BLK
Surefire 323LM 3V LED Tactical Light
Mesa High Tube w/​ Full Rail and Sling Swivel
Mesa Adapter Shell Holder — 6 shot
Magpul CTR AR15 Adjustable Stock
Magpul MIAD Basic Grip Kit
Magpul MBUS Gen 2 Front and Rear Sight
KAC 98720 Push Button Swivel & Rail Mount

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/Mossberg-500-Knesek-Package-Tactical-Breaching-Shotgun-12GA

WHOA! That is awesome! I love those style shotguns! I ave changed mine since, but this is what I used to have going on:

OH! I thought it was already a colored model! Please forgive me lol
I haven't seen any A-TACS camoed firearms.. that would be an AWESOME First!

Back