• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

What Prep Did You Do This Week?

carbinemike said:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/

Tcecil88 and JohnA, it looks like they sell online so anyone can all partake of the offerings. They even list an offer of all orders ship for $4.49. I'd rather look around in person but online is the next best thing.

According to my research, Honeyville Farms is one of the best out there. Mountain House, Provident Pantry, Augusan Farms, Richmoor, Pleasant Hill Grain, and even Thrive/Shelf Reliance (though they are still fairly new) have good reputations. The key is the longevity of the company because many are new and might be skipping corners in the long-term food storage techniques. I know Mountain House recently attacked Wise Food on their freeze dried technique ... it was a pretty damaging study (I'd stay away from Wise in my opinion).

If you have no other option but online then I'd recommend Honeyville and some of the others I mention. Good luck!!

Great over view. Thanks for posting it. With the higher online price and low shipping it pays to know these items are valued at.

One plus of the large local Amish and Menonite communities near my home are the stores that cater to off the grid supplies including bulk foods.

I found two seperate 20lb bags of white rice at my local grocery store for slightly less than $11 each out the door. That's about 55c per pound and much cheaper than buying the weight equivelant in small bags of rice.

And some really good info regarding the differences between white and brown rice

http://drbenkim.com/articles-rice.html

Ordered a JIC Bucket from Mountain House thru Amazon. Price dropped to 69.65 with free shipping.
An additional 2 weeks supply of meals.

Added a box of non-perishables to the pile...

Gave a brief lesson to my GF on loading an old pump SG. Finally gave her the combo to the safe...now I'll need to sleep with my pistol under the pillow...j/k

Gave a brief lesson to my GF on loading an old pump SG. Finally gave her the combo to the safe...now I'll need to sleep with my pistol under the pillow...j/k

It sounds like true love OA.

Gunny, take up homebrewing and you'll be one popular guy after the grid goes down!

i sent the mrs. out for a little work out. :D can never have enough fire wood.

Attachments

• chopping_wood.jpg
    chopping_wood.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 526
carbinemike said:

It sounds like true love OA.

Gunny, take up homebrewing and you'll be one popular guy after the grid goes down!

Ha ha ha, yeah, we've been together for 8 yrs. Tying the knot in June...some things just take a while...

200 count Yellow sweet corn
6 oz half runner green bean
4 oz Ky pole bean
60 count brandywine tomato
200 sweet california bell pepper
250 sweet banana pepper
120 summer squash
250 cabbage
4 cloves garlic
50 cucumber

All heirloom seeds--no hybrids

some of the seeds that I won't use immediately will be put back for next year, not including a plant of each type are going to be grown this year exclusively to harvest for seeds and not consumption.

Back