• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: What is this type of barrel called?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
...oh, and don't worry about get'n hastled for askin questions. We don't do tha that around here. Feel free to jump in on the conversation and let us know if you have any other questions...

200% accurate!
The information posted before this 200% accurate as well!

Welcome Aboard, Enjoy your time here and Hoping too see you around the forums!

LOL! Copy that. Sadly that ship has sailed. I mentioned I bought it used but not that I bought it cheap. So at this point with the stock, rails, heat guard and a new soft case for it I've invested over twice what I paid for it. So no complaints about a few improvements. Within reasonable limits.

Over the years I've found a lot people buy motorcycles and guns for the same reason. A lark, a complusive urge, or just a plain impulse to own one. I've bought 25 year old bikes with less than 500 miles on them. The owner of this gun still had half of the first and only box of shells he bought. At least he cleaned it before he put it back in the closet. I wasn't as surprised at the price he offered it to me for as much as I was by the condition it was in. Not far from new. He just wanted to be rid of it. No use for it.

Both seem to get set aside for the same reasons. More than they could handle, lost interest, no time for it, or the all time favorite, the SO said it goes or I do. Some times it amazes me how many SO's are still around. :lol:

Just got to keep an eye open for things to pop up.

Mike

Roger that!

You're in the clear then. I forgot to mention that used guns are exempt from the rule. :D Some of my most prized and rare firearms were bought used from folks that either didn't know what they had or just needed the quick cash. I make a point to stop by my local shops on a regular basis, 'cause you never know what's gonna show up under the glass from day to day...

New Gun Process?

All,

I am picking up my 500 on Thursday. Can't Wait. I have seen the great video on taking apart, cleaning, and reassebmly of the 590A1. After some reading, I have seen some mention of "Burs" on some of the parts that need to be cleand/filed/polished. There was no mention on which parts though, only that they were stamped at the factory. Can anyone provide a list of the parts to look out for, or provide pictures? Thank You

Frank

i bought basically the same shotgun and it has thrown me for a loop on a few parts but this forum has help me out a lot on my journey with my build .

Midwest Freak said:
i bought basically the same shotgun and it has thrown me for a loop on a few parts but this forum has help me out a lot on my journey with my build .

I'm making some progress on mine. What other parts did you have concerns with? Might help me avoid future issues.

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• Moss 500 with Talon.jpg
    Moss 500 with Talon.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Talon 01.jpg
    Talon 01.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 473
  • UTC Top rail.jpg
    UTC Top rail.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 473
Re: New Gun Process?

Chances are you shouldn't have to do anything but clean and oil.

What you can check for during the detailed cleaning are all the parts in the receiver. Cartridge stop and cartridge interupter, shell lifter, bolt slide... I have yet to notice anything on any of mine and most all surfaces will be polished and deburred with use.

Midwest Freak said:
here is a link to my thread on my build viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4810
i changed some stuff out and will add the photos tomorrow to the same link .

Thanks for the link. Looks like we're are going in about the same direction.

How's that 3 rail forend feel to you?

Mike

it feels a little wider than the stock in your hands but not that you can not get a good hold on it either .

Re: New Gun Process?

No problem. If you do find anything of concern, you can hit it with some fine grit sand paper just to smooth the edges if anything is sharp.

Re: 20 Gauge Security Barrel For 500

Got it today. It didn't take as long as I expected.

20121201_173304.jpg

20121201_173827.jpg

Underdog said:
I bought one last year and have it on my 500c and use it strickly for HD. I tested it with a variety of ammo and it did well but it shoots slugs very high. I keep it ready to go with #3 buck
My experience with bird shot. I will be interested Mike what your;s does. Please report when you can.

kris7047th said:
Underdog said:
I bought one last year and have it on my 500c and use it strickly for HD. I tested it with a variety of ammo and it did well but it shoots slugs very high. I keep it ready to go with #3 buck
My experience with bird shot. I will be interested Mike what your;s does. Please report when you can.
I shoot a lot of Skeet with my 500's.
I have an 18 1/2" security barrel 12ga that I throw on for HD. If I shoot Skeet with it, I have to hold under the birds. The barrel just shoots HIGH. None of my other barrels do this.

how do you know the correct LOP

i know what LOP is ,but how do you measure your own LOP?
thank you in advance.

Re: how do you know the correct LOP

It's more a matter of comfort than a precise measurement.

If you feel like you're having to reach for the pump with your forward hand, then you may need to shorten the length of your stock. If it's comfortable as is, then you're good to go...

Back