• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Most Complimentary Sidearm

I would love to hear what everyones favorite handgun to back up their shotgun is. I mean I'd always rather have my Mossberg 500 cruiser, but my choice for a sidearm is the Ruger Blackhawk .357 4.62" barrel. I know it's the future but you gotta love a revolver. What about you guys?
6c69cead.jpg

although I own a couple of blackhawks I use this Ruger
IMG_0064.jpg

nothing wrong with a revolver, especially in .357 and up

If you are talking HD, then my back-up to my 590-A1 is my M&P 9mm (which is what my wife will carry in case of a HD problem). If I need more then I'll move to my 9c or one of my favorite guns, the S&W 640-1 .357.

S&W M&P 9 and 9c (these aren't my actual guns but a random pic from the internet)
74058fc849.jpg

S&W .357 mag 640-1 (these aren't my actual guns but a random pic from the internet)
c9566d4a83005713cdf982d50da5f64a.jpg

I was introduced to Glocks and never looked back. My carry is a .40 and I have a full-size .45 in a GunVault next to the bed (backup to the Moss). I hunt with a G20 10mm with Winchester Silvertips and a mounted reflex optical sight. Although I also hunt with a crossbow.
I consider the Glock the superior defensive firearm since it is a tactical firearm that is simple to use (pull it, point it, shoot it - always chambered), to clean, and to maintain. Add the absolute reliability and reasonable accuracy, and we're good to go. (I will admit however, I sometimes have a mild lust for a 1911 or Beretta 96 :D )

Shoot a .357 at night and you'll change your mind about using it for HD, unless you're using .38s in it.
The muzzle flash will night blind you, you'll see nothing but orange and purple spots in front of your eyes. If you only need one shot, that might be okay. But what if you need to shoot more than once?

The PD I worked for, about once a year, during a night shoot it was demonstrated. Some guys, usually the same ones year after year, were asking why weren't issued .357s instead of .38s (I carried a S&W Model 66, but the Dept ammo was .38s) The muzzle flash was enough to convince me it wasn't a good idea.

Try it yourself, go out someplace safe to shoot on a pitch dark night.

Awesome, funny I was looking through my reloading stuff for the 30-06 die and found one of these I havent seen in years. A .45 still need to finish the grip...or stock thingy

About 10 years ago i completed the cycle from revolver to semi to revolver for HD. Revolvers are simpler, a big plus if they have to be used fast, in the dark, etc. In the real world of my house that has no distance greater than 5 meters, if i don`t stop the bg in the first 5 or 6 shots i will probably be the second place winner (ouch). Not to mention my handgun is a backup to my shotgun, so hopefully it will never be used.

At one house I have a double action 44 special, which is my preference. 45, 45 long colt in SD loadings, and 40 if you like autos are good choices.

At the other house I have a 38 special (not my first choice-long story). But with upgraded SD ammo it is ok for a backup.

If I were looking new to buy a HD handgun my preference would be for another 44 special with a 4 inch barrel. or a pair of the Ruger snub noses in 357 that I would load with upgraded 38 or 38 plus p.

If I were going for combat or swat use, i would go for a semi auto and practice with it on a more discipled schedule.

EAINC said:
It would have to be my Glock 21 ACP with night sights yeah.

Yeah, I'll update a bit - mine's a G21sf with the nights and a TLR-2 light/laser. I am told, a red dot dancing around on one's lapel is an attention getter. :eek:

I would have to go with my Beretta Cougar 8045. So far it's the one I'm most accurate with + .45's make big holes. This is one of my best targets, yet. This was 24 shots from my .45 Cougar.

003-2.jpg

JSDinTexas said:
EAINC said:
It would have to be my Glock 21 ACP with night sights yeah.

Yeah, I'll update a bit - mine's a G21sf with the nights and a TLR-2 light/laser. I am told, a red dot dancing around on one's lapel is an attention getter. :eek:

Yeah would love to see when ready.

This is currently the only other gun I own. It was the one that got me started a whole two months ago. I have been VERY happy with it. Low maintenance, feels smooth, and does as advertised. Great first gun.

2011-05-23191619.jpg

I've carried a variety of Sig pistols, From a P250SC, SP2340 and a P226, At the moment I carry an XD40, Its a good size and is easy to conceal.

Back