• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

3rd rev. Mossberg 930 SPX Build Thread

Re: Latest Acquisition!!! 3rd rev. Mossberg 930 SPX mini rev

i had it down-packed, ghost loading, that is. but this was in the comfort of my home with federal 00 buckshot. when out shooting clays (spx gets it done) with winchester bulk pack from walmart, i kept having issues ghost loading. it all comes down to practice.

after a day of shooting clays, i found that my choate pistol grip was twisted just a bit. guess i'll have to really torque the nut down to the point i deform the plastic oval the rear spacer/washer fits into. regardless, it was fun as heck. even my 11 year old got in on the action and so did his mom. no hiccups loading or shooting, ejecting or nada.

i also did shoot out some of that centurion 12ga slugs bulk pack from sgammo. the lead is plated and all that plating seems to have REALLY fouled the s**t outta my barrel. i can't see that it was the birdshot from walmart or the inexpensive rio buckshot from sgammo either. it must have been the plating on the slugs. time after time a brass bristle bore brush kept dislodging slivers of metal. this IS my first shotgun, but i didn't have this fouling last outing. seems to be the centurion. anyone else have this issue???

I've heard that of other 'plated' shot, that it's deposits are more intense and hard to clean after quite a few of them, but not sure what the brand was? I'd just stick w/Rem, Win, Fed, Rio, etc to make cleaning easier. Also you said youre having problems with getting your last/7th round in, you might want to take your mag extension off and make sure that YOUR 3rd gen(like mine was before I got them to send me another, also 40-inches!) doesnt have a 36"-40" mag spring, I believe it's SUPPOSED to be 28-35-ish depending if you want a more or less forceful ejection from magazine. I just chopped like 3" off mine to get it down to around 34"-35" which allows it to get 7+1 w/ALL Remington, Winchester, Federal 'regular'/standard 2 3/4" 00 Buck and slugs(Win slugs are longer though, and are 6+1, prefer the Remington 'Slugger'). Hope you dont have a long spring! ENJOY YOUR NEW BABY!! :D
Stephen

reeseman67 said:
I've heard that of other 'plated' shot, that it's deposits are more intense and hard to clean after quite a few of them, but not sure what the brand was? I'd just stick w/Rem, Win, Fed, Rio, etc to make cleaning easier. Also you said youre having problems with getting your last/7th round in, you might want to take your mag extension off and make sure that YOUR 3rd gen(like mine was before I got them to send me another, also 40-inches!) doesnt have a 36"-40" mag spring, I believe it's SUPPOSED to be 28-35-ish depending if you want a more or less forceful ejection from magazine. I just chopped like 3" off mine to get it down to around 34"-35" which allows it to get 7+1 w/ALL Remington, Winchester, Federal 'regular'/standard 2 3/4" 00 Buck and slugs(Win slugs are longer though, and are 6+1, prefer the Remington 'Slugger'). Hope you dont have a long spring! ENJOY YOUR NEW BABY!! :D
Stephen
Stephen;

Even with the 35" spring on mine ... My spring kept binding alittle. I found this out when I was practicing ghost loading... But, I just re-adjusted how I put the spring back in the mag and tightened the mag extension (took 3 clicks ... instead of forcing 4 or 5 out of it ) then it worked fine...

Spring is 36". Instead of adjusting that, i'll probably just adjust which ammo i purchase. I like strong springs in guns, that way when they begin to fatigue, they will still last possibly the life of the gun. It's the non-standardized legth of shells that sucks, imo. But it is what it is. Can't wait to go out shooting my new favorite gun over and over and over and again.

Nice man! Congrats on the 930!!!

Hmmmm.. Add S&J follower to my buying queue! :mrgreen:

UPDATE 04/06/11
new mini project will post a step by step when I'm done...

yeah, brother! put that rail on the foreguard. did i guess correctly? good luck with the project.

Bizill said:
yeah, brother! put that rail on the foreguard. did i guess correctly? good luck with the project.
Yup but theres more to it... I plan on having my CNC guy make a mold of thed foren and possibly make a one off honey comb carbon fiber piece with a picatinny rail already in place.

now that sounds very interesting. can't wait to see what you come up with!

I really like seeing the progress on your Mossberg 930 SPX! I completely agree that Nordic Components has some of the best customer service around. They are a great company to deal with.

DHonovich said:
I really like seeing the progress on your Mossberg 930 SPX! I completely agree that Nordic Components has some of the best customer service around. They are a great company to deal with.
Thanx Brotha...

I have some plans... for the 930 SPX Project before moving on, to a new project... I'll post all updates here first...

First off; an update on the S&J Hardware No Jam Follower. The factory spring doesnt sit inside of the S&J follower compared to the Factory Mossberg unit. It does move the spring about an 1" from where it would normally sit inside the factory Mossberg piece...

Just to confirm...so if you install the no jam follower it is possible that it goes from a 7+1 to a 6+1 or do you just need to cut off an inch?

Bizill said:
Spring is 36". Instead of adjusting that, i'll probably just adjust which ammo i purchase. I like strong springs in guns, that way when they begin to fatigue, they will still last possibly the life of the gun. It's the non-standardized legth of shells that sucks, imo. But it is what it is. Can't wait to go out shooting my new favorite gun over and over and over and again.

I took mine (and since the new 'correct length' that Mossberg sent me as a replacement was ALSO 36", I keep that one as a backup) down by maybe 3", probably at 33" from 36", and think it's at a perfect length to still be very forceful on the last shot, but will hold 7+1 on ALL standard buck and most slug loads at it's intended capacity. I might get a 'no jam' follower and set that up in a 'home security' and just know I'll be at 6+1, and have the 'No Bind' follower too. I REALLY want a 3+Nordic ext w/XL cap and a choke that will come out even with it. I spoke to this a few posts ago, and I saw someone else is doing the same, just need my barrel threaded, anyone know a good guy??
Stephen

mackgriggs said:
First off; an update on the S&J Hardware No Jam Follower. The factory spring doesnt sit inside of the S&J follower compared to the Factory Mossberg unit. It does move the spring about an 1" from where it would normally sit inside the factory Mossberg piece...

Just to confirm...so if you install the no jam follower it is possible that it goes from a 7+1 to a 6+1 or do you just need to cut off an inch?
Nope the one I'm using it just adds more lenght to spring to force the shells come out the mag with some authority...

If you use this S&J Hardware Follower you will lose ( -1) shell capacity...
sj_hardware_follower.jpg

If you use the one I'm using it just you more spring tension and don't lose any capacity...
remington_shotgun_follower.jpg

reeseman67 said:
Bizill said:

I took mine (and since the new 'correct length' that Mossberg sent me as a replacement was ALSO 36", I keep that one as a backup) down by maybe 3", probably at 33" from 36", and think it's at a perfect length to still be very forceful on the last shot, but will hold 7+1 on ALL standard buck and most slug loads at it's intended capacity. I might get a 'no jam' follower and set that up in a 'home security' and just know I'll be at 6+1, and have the 'No Bind' follower too. I REALLY want a 3+Nordic ext w/XL cap and a choke that will come out even with it. I spoke to this a few posts ago, and I saw someone else is doing the same, just need my barrel threaded, anyone know a good guy??
Stephen

Depends on where your located wether you want to do a walk in or mail in the barrel...
I'm lucky enough to be close to R&D Customs ( http://www.americhoke.com ) and there's one in the east coast that I foumd... The one on the east coast is http://www.magnaport.com ... Good luck

Mike Shain from AIMPRO is who I am having do my barrel for my Mossberg 930 autoloader.

Back