• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Barrel bulge on Mossberg 500?

griffin126

Copper BB
Hello, I am just looking for some input on an issue that I just found on my Mossberg 500 with a cantilever barrel. When I was cleaning it, I noticed that just past the muzzle-break of the cantilever barrel was a small bulge on the right side of the barrel.

I use my Mossberg 500 with this cantilever barrel strictly for deer season since I'm in a shotgun-only zone. I shoot the Hornady SST saboted slugs out of it, and I was wondering what could have caused this bulge. Is there anything that Mossberg could do for me, like replacing the barrel, without me having to send back the whole gun? Or is the barrel a lost cause? I'm not sure how to proceed at this point.

Thanks.

Hello griffin,

Not sure what Mossberg will do without shipping the entire firearm in. Is this something that just appreared and can you post a photo?

If i find a bulge on my barrel i would just trash it and buy a new one. That bulge is now a weak spot in the barrel and stress my split it there. Just my opinion. RR

I would definitely contact Mossberg about this.

I think it is standard operating procedure for them to want the entire gun shipped back. Not sure why, possibly to check for sighns of stress in other parts, etc.

Back