• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights/Lasers

Re: Weapon Mounted Tactical Lights

I looked at the Surefire forend for my 590 a while back, but I didn't get one because it seemed a bit too pricey (as does everything with their brand on it) and because it only worked on the 590 if you first hacked off the bayonet lug.

Personally I doubt I would ever need to mount a bayonet on my 590, but I still don't like the idea of hacking it off just to clear a flashlight.

Recently the factory has started shipping 500's and 590's with an integrated flashlight forend -- which looks better integrated than the Surefire (which is more of a flashlight stuck on the front of the forend). Apparently the light/forend that Mossberg chose is made by Insight but I can't seem to find any information about it either from Mossberg or Insight.

SF now has a light that will work around the lug.
As for price, yes they are expensive. But they are pretty much the top of the line, always going to work, have great customer service, and there are few lights that work as well and as reliably. Also, they are hell for tough. I banged the muzzle end of that SBS against a metal door frame, a concrete Jersey barrier, and all kinds of other stuff. I knocked the Big Dot off of it, have lots of white paint around the muzzle and even on the SF light unit itself, and the light has yet to break or even falter. I have knocked lights off of foreend rails of other people's shotguns.

m24shooter said:
SF 6V LED with lockout, constant on, and momentary.

316177_229834600404839_100001349030845_571698_1388101296_n.jpg

299863_229834433738189_100001349030845_571697_335350986_n.jpg

100_2786.jpg

100_2452.jpg

100_2454.jpg

sbshogue.jpg

m24shooter,
OT I was curious as to what type of tool that was behind your pump gun laying on what looks like bed liner.
Thanks

Scout, it is a Dead On Tools hammer. I have a several of their tools. Great, hard work items.
I'll get a pic of various items.

m24shooter,
Thanks...always looking toward to new and cool gear. Been that way forever... Thanks for all you do around here.
Best....

Light for a 500, 6 round, 18.5"barrel...

I'd like one that mounts directly under the barrel and in front of the magazine tube and doesn't extend beyond the barrel. In other words it would basically fill the space from the end of the magazine tube to the front of the barrel.

Anyone have a setup like that?

Thank you in advance.

Surefire G2X on a basic aluminum rail mount on a tri rail. Not the super high end Surefire but still a Surefire so you know it's quality. Perfect spot for me since I can activate the push button with my thumb while still grasping the weapon. Also have the quick disconnect with the thumb screw so you can take it off the rail if needed .

7902256662_33c79f185b_z_d.jpg

-
7902257126_a9749f7cb9_z_d.jpg

Re: What is the best tactical light and/or laser?

Mudinyeri said:
I'm not a big fan of hanging lights, lasers or much of anything else off of my defensive arms. I took a big step this year and added an EOTech to my AR which had iron sights as long as I have owned it. :shock:
I'm your camp, +1

Can anyone tell me if the LaserLyte tri-rail will work on a Mossberg500 with a heat shield already installed?It kind of looks like the thin bolts it comes with would go all the way through and hold together the front of the heat shield also.I hope I made sense.

DSC_0001.jpg

I didn't see the 4Sevens mentioned anywhere so I thought I'd do a little review on this. I was first introduced to this flashlight while watching the Nutnfancy review on this Quark 123 Turbo. Since I was in the market for a weapon/duty light, I gave this a try over some of the other options like Streamlight and Surefire. With the discount code he provided in the review (mind you this was 2 years ago) I was able to get this direct from 4Sevens for $69 with free shipping.

My first thoughts were pretty enthusiastic, A. since I had never spent more than $5 on a flashlight in my life and B. the quality and construction on this light were on par with some other more expensive options I've used and handled. I mounted it on my Kel-Tec SU16C (which I'm no longer in possession of) and that's where it stayed for about a year, pretty much unused and just played with here and there, I used the gun a lot, but never really used the light.
P3090047-1.jpg

Fast forward to my birthday last year. It was Nov 16th, 2011... around 10pm at night, 14F and about 2 feet of snow on the ground. I was on duty that night and got called to respond to a boat sinking at the pier at one of our remote boat launches. I made the 45min treck out there to find the owner and a couple of his buddies using strap wrenches and chains to keep the rest of the boat (the stern was fully submerged with about 5 feet of the bow remaining out of the water) from sinking. Since one of my jobs is pollution response, my main concern were six 50gal drums of diesel fuel strapped to the back of the boat, underwater. The diver at the scene said he would be able to get the drums off, but didn't have a light with him at the time. ;) "No worries dude, I've got you covered" and I handed him the 4Sevens Turbo I had grabbed off my gun before I left my house. This light survived 1.5 hrs of water that was starting to freeze over, at a depth of about 25' (definitely more than it was rated for!). Needless to say, we got the drums off, secured the boat, kept the environment safe and went about our business.

Since then I've bought 2 different 4Sevens lights, all of which have served me well, in all conditions and certainly some abuse from me. Hopefully I can find a way to run this light properly on my 500 (Pics should follow :D ) in the meantime here are the specs off of the 4Sevens website:

Specifications