• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

RANGE REPORT: Long Guns

Pics from the Rifle Range

Here are some compiled "range" pics of mine. At a friends property down the road :)
I've been out with my savage .17HMR, mossy .22 tactical, 12 gauge Benelli (trap mostly), and my Remington 700P in .308
Threw in a shot of my co-workers .30-30 lever he hand polished the metal and burned the stock himself. Sorry for the shaky shot of it!

We typically set up targets @ 25,50,75,100 & 225

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324334797.029283.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324334797.029283.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 746
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324334866.808605.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324334866.808605.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 746
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324334925.190479.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1324334925.190479.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 746
Re: Pics from the Rifle Range

Very nice!

Every so often, I have the opportunity to set up and shoot at a buddy's farm. It's a great way to shoot and I like the freedom of being on my own time...

Yea for sure, it's nice having to deal with little things that you'd find nature which are absent on a real range.

I can't wait for the lake to freeze so I can set up some longer distances. Plus winter shooting has a distinct feeling to it.

Hit the range with my co-worker last weekend. He brought out his new Remington 700 VL SS in .223, we mounted a tasco 3x9

The thing put up a tiny group of .339" outside to outside. So .119" center to center! That's with the new style Remington trigger which is terrible in comparison to the one on my 700P (ribbed shoe)

Can't wait to get out tomorrow with my 700P since I finally got some glass and my KRG bolt lift came in

I'll post up some pictures tomorrow

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325872524.040295.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325872524.040295.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 712
Re: VIDEO Informal Practice

Nice.

Were you pulling mags from your pocket or were you using some type of mag carrier?

MikeD said:
Nice.

Were you pulling mags from your pocket or were you using some type of mag carrier?

Nice exercise - Can you post the target??

I'm guessing carrier or a combo - that would be a BIG pocket! :D

Kodiak, I too often shoot at multiple targets. It makes for great practice because in real life, everything isn't as static as shooting at a piece of paper stapled to a 2x4.

If you want to make it even more challenging, get some helium balloons tied to a string and place them down range of you and try to hit them.

Don't be surprised if your hit ratio goes down, but you can't beat the experience of hitting moving targets.

Nice video man!!! Thanks for sharin it!

John, cool idea on the ballons, I think my wife has even mentioned that before... it may have been "blah blah blah, balloons, blah blah blah..." who knows.

For targets I was using home made IDPA targets. While I usually keep my targets, I put so many holes in them that I didn't keep them this time. My "kit" so far is comprised of a HSGI battle belt, 5.11 IFAK pouch and two double mag Fire Force pouches. I cut the flap off of one for quicker reloads when I compete. I have to say that FTF caught me totally by surprise. Even with some mistakes, I feel good about how I reacted to it. It was the first malfunction I've had in over 1800 rounds!

photobucket-16117-1340072679915.jpg

Although we all strive to keep our gear in top shape, anyone who says they've never had a malfunction, do not have enough time behind the trigger

John A. said:
Although we all strive to keep our gear in top shape, anyone who says they've never had a malfunction, do not have enough time behind the trigger

True Dat!!!

While I love my gear, and my brain, to run flawlessly, I've learned more from my failures.

A bunch of us gather at my buddy's farm once or twice a year for a couple days of shoot'n. We shoot all kinds of stuff, but one of the consistent targets is baloons. They make for a great challenge, especially when the wind kicks up a bit...

You mention mistakes... Thats the biggest reason we do video. So we can look back at what we were doin, what went wrong, and how we handled it.

Most often, the failure or mistake is my own.

AR 15 7.62x39 range report...

Ammo - Wolf
Buffer - spike st2
Buffer Spring - standard
Magazine - magpul 5.56 10/30 and AR stoner 7.62x39 10 round mags
Barrel - YHM (custom upper from Marksarmory.com)

First off, I had a problem with 'short stroke' on every round. I ordered DPMS standard buffer and will try that next. The magpul only loads the 1st round in and the rest will not even clear the mag's front lip. The AR stoner mag looks promising. I'll know more when I can fix the short stroke problem with a lighter buffer.

as far as accuracy goes, i had an inch grouping at 50 yards on a bench. I was using xps3-0 site. At 100 yards, i was consistently hitting metal plates standing up. The sound of lead hitting metal would have been better if i did'nt have to manually cycle the rounds on every shot.

Re: AR 15 7.62x39 range report...

Sucks you had issues,

Keep us posted once you get the buffer worked out. I'm interested to read more about how the Stoner mag functions as well...

I hope the lighter buffer will fix the 'short stroke' problem. One sure way to fix it is to make the gas port hole on the barrel bigger.

First off, some of it may be a magazne issue.

The Pmag was never designed for the x39 round. True that you may can fit a few rounds in a mag, but using it would be iffy at best.

AR stoner mags historically have been made from various manufacturers, but in the case of x39 mags, there are only a few companies who have ever made them. Cproducts, and whatever the new company that is using their tooling is named. ASC or something like that????

Usually a short stroke problem is a gassing issue. Whether the front sight post is aligned with the gas port or a host of other things. A lighter buffer may do it, but I would wonder why the x39 round wasn't strong enough to cycle the bolt fully to begin with. The ST2 buffer isn't much heavier than a regular buffer anyway.

Finally, after a few trips to the range, the AR 15 7.62x39 is finally working perfectly with the AR stoner 10 round magazines. I have a standard spring and buffer installed. First try using the standard spring resulted in intermittent "no open bolt" on last round. After the spring weakened from use, the problem went away plus I stored the gun with open bolt in between range times to weaken the spring.

I also tried out ASC 30 round mags converted to 10/30 using magblocks. I didn't experience any problems.

Back