• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Safariland ALS

oli700

12g
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Took the new holster out for the pooch walk last night. I prefer not to open carry around my neighborhood so I was testing the conceal ability of the OWB paddle We only went 3 miles but I feel it was long enough to evaluate the holster

First I’ll say this holster is one of if not the best made mass-produced hard body paddle holster I have handled. It blows away the Fobus and is sleeker than the Serpa. It fits the pistol like a glove and has a suede lining to cut down on noise and finish wear.

The retention system is really cool. It locks the gun in the holster using the ejection port instead of the trigger guard. It provides a very positive lock up and releases effortlessly. The button for release is in the perfect spot to actuate with your thumb when you grip the pistol. The thumb falls right on the button and then you just apply pressure to the rear of the holster and the button slides back about a ¼ inch and smoothly releases the pistol.

With the “hook” mounted on the holster body(removeable) this is bar none the most secure monted paddle I’ve used, you could hang from a building before this would come off your belt, even with a loose belt.

For me I don’t like it for conceal carry. I can hide it ok but being used to inside waistband this thing feels like it’s really hanging out there. It did come with a belt attachment I could and will try, it is also adjustable for forward cant….I like the 15 degree cant

For open carry in the woods , hikes and for personal protection while hunting am absolutely thrilled with this holster. This is an awesome set up for that purpose . With the rattle free design , very secure retention, quick and easy release this is the holster for my open carry needs.
For 38 bucks from Optics Planet I feel the Safariland ALS paddle holster is a very solid bang for the buck

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1143.jpg

Woods walking set up
IMG_1145.jpg

Very nice. I like that suede lining in there. Not sure I like the position of the release but whatever you practice with is what works best I suppose.

I might have to try one of those out! Your review was really well done, and also photographed quite nicely! You know, in that last photo it really does appear kind of sleek, doesn't it? Very good description, oli....

It looks like it is well worth $38 for sure.

Now you've let the cat out of the bag.

Expect prices to start going up in the near future.

And that's all I have to say about that.

images

One of the best movies ever lol.

Joe, on the release button. I was leery as well....then I really thought about why. The genius behind it I believe is the "protected" positioning of the release button.
I beat brush a lot, and most always on slope, rocks ect. The positioning of the release is protected from outside influence. No brush or fall in the rocks, mud is going to inadvertently release this mechanism.....and if it’s a concern and someone tries to grab you piece , they would have to know the system to hit the button right and not be in the long enough to have gotten punched in the face 5 times. The only concern I can see is things in your control like bunched up cloths releasing it, but I highly doubt it although anything is possible. A seatbelt cant release it.....I have also known someone to fall off a horse with a Serpa and it took about 10 minutes of digging with a pocket knife to get all the crap out from under the button to release the gun, this would not, could not happen to the ALS system.

oli700 said:
One of the best movies ever lol.

Joe, on the release button. I was leery as well....then I really thought about why. The genius behind it I believe is the "protected" positioning of the release button.
I beat brush a lot, and most always on slope, rocks ect. The positioning of the release is protected from outside influence. No brush or fall in the rocks, mud is going to inadvertently release this mechanism.....and if it’s a concern and someone tries to grab you piece , they would have to know the system to hit the button right and not be in the long enough to have gotten punched in the face 5 times. The only concern I can see is things in your control like bunched up cloths releasing it, but I highly doubt it although anything is possible. A seatbelt cant release it.....I have also known someone to fall off a horse with a Serpa and it took about 10 minutes of digging with a pocket knife to get all the crap out from under the button to release the gun, this would not, could not happen to the ALS system.

I went over to GT distributors today and handled one in their little bluegun station. the quality of construction is like you said pretty dang nice as is the release. I'm going to need a duty holster soon. I'm already very familiar with the serpa system and I like their Level 3 a bit more than Safariland's but I like Safariland's level 2 ALS more than BLackhawk's now.

I hope you are happy with yourself. Making my life complicated now. :)

your welcome, what you need the holster for ?

OH and the mag release can’t be accessed either. You can barely touch the button but the opposite side is covered so it cant be pushed due to being blocked from the other side.

In elk camp got out of my Samurai and my buddy in the passenger seat said "hey, look what I found" holding up a mag I recognized as my spare CZ mag, I said "oh my spare mag must of fell out of my bag. He said "look again" ....in a panic I grabbed my pistol and sure enough the mag was gone. The button got pressed in the rig somehow and released my mag.....leaving me with one lone +P 124 gr HST....I like the 9 a lot but let’s face it, while hunting one 9mm for protection sucks.....this was from a high end Garret silent thunder that cost 3 times the Safariland….

I need the holster for law enforcement academy. I've carried around a Berreta in a Serpa on a chest rig and a dropleg and got dirty and climbed and fell a lot as well as in and out of vehicles with it and haven't had any issues like that. You're not the first person I've heard mention the mud thing though. I've seen Garret USA around few times never personally used one of their products. I think they're actually a Texas company.

But like you're saying I do like the way Safariland cut it to cover the Mag release.

Yeah, out of Texas and just a top shelf holster, they have them with more retention, mine is just friction. I got a lanyard incase it tried to come out hunting but it never did. As much as I hate to say it, the SL is a more secure holster as far as the paddle. Every one hand made with the best of materials available….I splurged on my war weapon

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0902.jpg

The fall with the Serpa was hard. She was at almost a full run when she came off the horse. She skidded about 25 feet holster side down , mud and rocks. Only time I have ever seen or heard of it but when I saw it I knew it was a huge potential problem although remote.

Anyway good luck with your academy

So I had a chance to use the belt attachment that came with the holster. I had a chance to take it hunting…..there were about 5 fence crossings , a real slippery slope into a creek crossing and then we laid on a hill watching a field till the sun came up and we could see the elk weren’t going to be coming through…..raining decent the entire time. The holster was SO solid, it felt great and it was quiet as a mouse. I had on several layers of cloths and nothing interfered with the release button. I drew a couple of times just to do it and even with a gloved hand it was a natural movement for me and of course the retention mechanism was solid and has a great positive engagement on the ejection port.
This holster comes with the highest level of recommendation I can give.

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1159.jpg

It's great seeing oli enjoying his Safariland holster.

The first 6378 ALS I ever bought was for my G29 several years ago, and I carry my G29 off duty (concealed) a LOT. The Safariland Smooth TAC finish still looks brand new. I have since bought more of these for other sidearms and it's amazing how much quality there is in these rugged and smooth holsters for way under $50 shipped.

Rugged is a good description, really is more rugged then any holster I have ever owned. This 29 and Safariland combination are now my all time favorite hunting companion sidearm. Light, rugged powerful.

I have a safariland holster for OWB carry, and love it. Best fitting holster I've had to date. I'm a lefty and have an FNS 9mm. Safariland was a few of the holster manu. that make LH for the FNS...They even sent me a nice embroidered hat and a couple of stickers too.

Here's a review

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB6zfrLlyus[/youtube]

Back