• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg Tactical .22 Disassembly/Cleaning

New Rifle First Cleaning

After buying the 22 Tactical a week or so ago, finally had a chance to break it down and clean it. The directions supplied by Mossberg were pretty good...but..if it had not been for a assembly/disassembly video on toutube from a gent named snusface, as well as a helpful tip or two from Jason under another topic, I would still be figuring out a couple of points.
Jason pointed out four screws "hidden " in air vent holes that I was missing. Was trying to figure out WTF I was doing wrong and that tip took care of the problem. Jason, thank you from the Nubb!
I have not cleaned any firearms since getting out of the service in 99, so this was going to be interesting. Many of the youtube videos and reviews I have watched and read mentioned the 715T was a bear to clean and assemble. Once I got over a couple of speed bumps, I found the 715T to not be bad at all to disassemble/re-assemble. #2 and #4 Crosstip scredrivers, 5/32" Hex/Allen Wrench, small puch, and a small hammer should do the trick for you. The two pins on the side of the receiver were a pain the first time out, but seem to be getting easier as they are worked in. I did have to remove the trigger assembly and re-do the bolt lever position as the bolt would not lock in the open position the first time I tried to put it back together. A little TLC and it was good to go. The rest of re-assembly was easy (yup I said it) and it felt good to be cleaning firearms again.
The rifle was pretty clean coming out of the box. The barrel used several patches, but was not too bad. The rest of the assembly was fairly clean, requiring minimal wiping down and re-oiling.
My better half is busy in the kitchen, so she has asked me to break down and clean her new 702. I may get to this after dinner, but with the carb factor and some deent football on, that may have to wait till tomorrow.
We have applied to a local rod and gun club for membership, so I will be able to update on performace (mine and the 715T) once we get accepted.
Thank again for the help. Jason, a HUGE THANK YOU!

Re: New Rifle First Cleaning

Sounds great...looking forward to range report !!

It's best to know how to tear down your rifle . but with that said ,
After taking my 702tact apart a few times to clean , I learned to cheat somewhat...

Call it "lazy" if you'd like , but when I cleaned the 715 for the 1st time ,
straight out of the box , ( without taking anything apart) I squirted varsol ( paint thinner or BBQ lighter fluid is good ...same stuff )into the action and briskly moved the bolt back and forth , enough where it will pour out . Wipe off any excess , then set it down to dry out...that's it...and it dry's in minutes.
This rinsed out the excess oil that's ment more for longterm storeage and I could also feel the smoothness of the bolt travel .

I've yet to take the 715 apart...lazy 'er what ? :D
I've done this a few times now and just recently after nearly 400 rounds and the black sludge came pouring out. A couple drops of 10W30 , then rinse again . Wiped out what I could and let dry.
I'll brush and patch clean the barrel often
...and yes..I know sooner or later I'll have to tear it down... :lol:
It not a bad idea to check your takedown screws are secure during your 1st time out . Screws are screws and sometimes vibrate loose.

Re: Mossberg Tactical .22 Autoloader Disassembly

Found a seller on Ebay who is offering the recoil springs. Most of the other folks I have contacted are out of stock. Going to second another posters recommendation about having a spare or two around.

push pins???

I just bought the 715t and I am about ready to throw the thing against the wall!!!! I am TRYING to break the gun down to clean and lube before shooting. It should be easy to get the push pins out of the gun to get the trigger assembly apart from the barrel and bolt, but it sure hasn't been easy for me!!! I shouldn't have to beat the hell out of it to free the pins, should I? Has anybody else had this prob and know any tricks to get these effers out???? I'd GREATLY appreciate a response :)

Re: push pins???

BTW I have tried a pin punch, it's for a Ruger but I don't even need it in any other gun. The pins come out with the push of a bullet!! I have never broke down a gun with pins this tight, it's like there welded in! HELP ME PLEASE :)

im not familiar with the 715t,but if you could post a pic of what you are working on.im sure someone here will be able to help you.

For some reason it's saying my image attachment is invalid. I'm not very computer savvy so I'm not sure how to post the pics I took. The 2 pins I'm talking about are in the receiver holding the trigger assembly into the bolt/barrel. Anyone with a 715t probably knows what I'm talking about and more than likely hasn't had much trouble getting them out. Thank you Mossy for trying to help :)

Welcome aboard colts78!

I too wish I could offer help, but I do not own one of these either. I'm sure one of our 702/715t owners will be along shortly to help you out...

you may be trying the wrong pins. the arrow in the owners manual is not quite on the correct pin. when i first did mine, i was trying the incorrect pins.

mine were a biznatch to take out for the first time too...just put some muscle into it..you won't break them. i used a hammer to knock them loose...then pushed them out with an allen key

GOT EM!!!! You're right I didn't break anything, but I sure thought I was gonna. :) So how do yours shoot? It sounds like its gonna be hit or miss from the reviews on this gun, I sure hope I got one of the good ones!!!! I'll keep ya posted, this gun club thing is kinda fun :)

glad you got it. what was the reason you were having problems?

I'm a wuss I guess :) I went and got a punch kit from the hardware store and w/ the correct size pin punch, some HEAVY beating, they finally came out. I just hope my gun isn't one of the lemons I've read about!! It sounds like they are either pretty accurate and shoot smooth or they're in the factory getting fixed. It looks like if they're sent back, they keep having to get sent back. But for $229 I can't complain too much I guess :) Thanks again guys

I have the same issue that I saw somewhere in this forum. The instructions I got were not for the model of 715T that I have. Mine has no rear take down screw. It also appears that all of the right side of the gun is one piece. Ive watched the few vidios on YouTube, but still cant figure out how to get the plastic part off to clean this. Any suggestions appreciated!

Welcome JHarris!
The video by snusface on you tube was key to getting the Tactical apart and back together. There are several decent videos, his seemed the best to me.
One side of the plastic housing is a lot larger than the other. Dont forget the screws in the vent holes holding the cover over the barrel.
Not sure if those help. If not, please drop another dime and we will see what we can do!

Thanks! That worked!

Thanks! that worked. I looked at Snusface assembly too. That spring is tricky the first time. Now off to the range!

I shot mine for the first time a few weeks ago...it shoots excellent and very accurate. I don't understand why people are having issues with accuracy...personally...i just think their a bad shot and haven't learned how to use their stock iron sights. Their adjustable and most people don't even know that lol.

Back