• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

New HD 00 Buck Ammo Testing **Pics**

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
I've had this ammo for a while but never had a chance to test it in HD range 10 yards (max).

Just to bring it up again.... the ranges by me dont allow you to shoot less than 50 yards with shotgun. It's retarded at best. So I went during the week when attendance is really low and got a hold of the owner. Told him that I wanted to pattern for Home Defense and that I wanted to use the 10 yard post established for the pistols. At that point there was NO BOARD in it. I had brought my own card board board and said I would put it up myself. I asked his permission and he said yes.

Set it up and fired off 1 round after I talked to the pistol shooters to my left if it was ok to fire as I had just cleared it with the owner. They had no issues.

10 minutes later the owner comes over to chew me out. I chewed back saying we already discussed this why is he flipping out. Anyway I got the data I needed and I didnt let it bother me. I really dont get it as this range is the least restrictive range where I live and this whole thing was done in a very controlled and safe manner. :roll:

Ammo used:

Federal LE ammo 00 Buck low recoil with the flitecontrol wad (1145fps)

8238260100_9072468c1b.jpg

Here's the results at 1 round at 10 yards:

8237193601_0e01c942e4.jpg

Shotgun Used:

Mossberg 590A1, cylinder bore barrel, 18.5" long, Bead Sight

The rest of the day was spent on combat loading, level changes (including prone) while firing, and reloading from various positions with bird shot. Also, did about 15 slug change over drills.

Minus the argument based on senility I had a great and productive day.

My best,

Water Monkey

How do you feel about it? I really like a load that can put every pellet in a closed fist sized area!

Thanks for what you do (and have to go through with your range) to bring us this info and your input! ;)

Rossignol said:
How do you feel about it? I really like a load that can put every pellet in a closed fist sized area!

Thanks for what you do (and have to go through with your range) to bring us this info and your input! ;)

It was impressive, most impressive. I got an equally tight group as I did with the Hornady TAP full power 00 Buck. It's cheaper than Hornady and the recoil is something my woman can handle better (even though she handles the full power buck like a champ).

I think I will use this for the HD shotgun set up going forward.

No worries about the crap I have to deal with. I'm willing to tap dance on the line to get the real data I need to ensure what I use will get the job done based on my specific needs.

Serious. My range is terrible. I have 50yds and there are two spots where it is 25 yds out. And the range is filled at 4:40 in the am by the 'old timers' who shoot one round an hour and talk story the rest of the time. They hold benches for their freinds who come at 9...it is free though. I need a 'private range'!

Every great once in a while I pay the 5 bucks to go to a public range, then I remember quickly why I hate it. I would not be into shooting near as much if I had to go to an established range. Half the time I just go into the woods, the other half is a old range that’s first come first serve in the middle of the woods

Great information! Thanks Water Monkey! :D
I have been looking for good 00 Buck to store up on!
I had a post about RIO but Idk where it went :eek:

I've heard this ammo, or something similar to it is standard issue for NC highway patrol, haven't shot any myself yet, but have seen them make a pumpkin dissapear at 8-10 yards :mrgreen:

looks like some good ammo.

for home defense i like the pdx1 segmenting slugs and 00 or 000 buck most name brands.

i usually like the 2 3/4" but for hd i like the 3" buck shot for the extra pellets.

i want to pick up some less lethal rubber slugs and buck shot for home defense too. just in case a drunk guy comes running in or someone mentally unstable that i need to defend myself from. even a guy with aids i dont want his blood in my house. but i will let them know i dont want them there with a few rubber pellets

but if i feel my life is in danger the slugs and 00 are only a side saddle away

Back