• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 dilemma....or is it!

Well just got to into shooting ALL OF A SUDDEN and can't seem to get enough. It's addicting.
Now I have been shooting forever as a kid and now in the military the last 19 years but never had I had the itch for guns till now.
In the last month I bought 2 sig sauer mosquitos and a FLEX 590 tactical and now find myself wanting a 590a1, like my military one......
Now since I have a 590 shotgun already won't the 590a1 be sort of the same just a different appearance and a heavier barrel? Dose it make sense. To me its like have 2 of the same cars but in different colors?
What's your opinion or what should I do.
Now I haven't hunted in a long time so just for target shooting and home for now is what I use them for.
:?:

oli700 said:
I personally couldnt buy two guns that were so similar
Well my dilemma exactly. And I feel you on that too.
But the a1 is so much more modifiable, but on the other hand my flex is cool looking as hell and holds more rounds.....hmmmmm, what to do.....what to do.
I'm sure the mods will catch up with the flex soon too :mrgreen:

It can be very addicting.

Now that I have all of the basic bases covered, I find more and more that I am looking at the bargain bins for used beaters that I can play with and modify.

As with many things it's all about what makes you happy.

In my book that is a good dilema. I have an 18 1/2" 590A1 and love it. Part of the flex concept is that it can be many shotguns in one basic package. I have tried to add different arms to what I have that will compliment each other and fill a need/use I don't have covered. Perhaps something in 5.56 or a bolt action rifle would be a better addition. In the end, buy what you want and will make you happy. Oh yeah, the 590 will take a pounding too and thanks for your service!

Even though I've never seen a question asked quite like that before, I guess I can see your dilemma.

I have owned more than 1 AR in 5.56 before at the same time. I have owned more than one pistol at a time. More than 1 shotgun at a time.

I guess it really depends.

I personally WANT to own more than 1 gun for each caliber I have if for nothing else so I have a backup if one of them goes down. Or at the very least, a beat up spare parts gun that you could gut to keep your favorite working.

Plus, I have several people in my immediate family who can share in the hunting/food gathering/defending responsibilities with them if need be, so in that aspect, I could never have too many of anything I guess.

If I lived alone though, I don't think I could see the need of having more than 2 of anything though. But that's just me I guess.

In the last couple of years, I have sold guns so I could consolidate more solely based on caliber that I don't use often just to buy another of a gun that I do use more often.

At the peak of my collection, I had way too many and ranging in far too many calibers to keep some small amount of ammo on hand for each so I sat down and made a list of what I realistically needed, and sold what I didn't, to buy more of what I do.

I'm at that comfortable point right now that I do not even look to add guns right now because I am content with what I have.

The next logical step for me would be either start reloading, or buy a little 4 seater boat and start fishing more.

I'm a creature of habit.

If I find a platform I like, I tend to stick with it. Hence the 590 and the 590a1 in the safe...

One is my HD rig and the other is set up for putting lots of rounds down range. They're configured with different sighting systems, stocks, etc., but even if they were'nt I'd still have both. I like the idea of a back-up weapon if one becomes inoperative. For this reason, it makes perfect sense to have your back-up's operating system as similar as possible to your primary.

That's the logical, more rational side of my brain making a justification for why I have multiple weapons of the same platforms. The other side is less concerned with justification and would tell you that if you want it and can afford it, buy it.

The only one it has to make sense to is you...

It’s funny, I never really thought of it lol.
Once I have something, like my mini 14 for instance I have never looked at or desired another mini…..I have wanted an AR but once I had one I wouldn’t want another, unless it was a different caliber.
But I have several Ruger Blackhawks in different calibers. I have a couple 12 gauges, all drastically different…..none of my auto pistols are even in the category……I have bought exact same models twice but only because I regretted getting rid of the first one…. huh ,interesting when I step back and look at it,

Once I have something, like my mini 14 for instance I have never looked at or desired another mini…..I have wanted an AR but once I had one I wouldn’t want another, unless it was a different caliber.
I agree with Oli, to the point where I also have a Mini 14 and though I'd like an AR I prefer one in a different caliber.

I like my 12 ga's. Each is a little different, but not drastically.

I have a 590A1 and a 500, both are 20" guns with full length magazines. They're outfitted only slightly differently. Similar enough though I can pick up either and operate each as efficiently.

Id like another A1, but next with an 18 1/2" barrel so I can use 835 barrels too. Before goin any heavier onthe pump actions, id like to add another rifle, a different caliber than I already own, and probably an autoloading 12 ga too...

I like the shotguns because I feel most comfortable with them I think, makes sense to me to have a couple that function very similarly.

Personally (for me) duplicating a platform is boring. I already know how a pump action from Mossberg works. Unless it was for a specific purpose (ie home defense, hunting) would I consider duplicating the platform from the same manufacturer. Which is probably why I have a semi automatic and a pump and not 2 pumps or 2 semi automatics.

FWIW there isnt a significant difference between the 590 and 590A1 series which would cause me to add another pump. Chances are the 590 barrel will out last you before it needs to be replaced with moderate use.

Water Monkey said:
Chances are the 590 barrel will out last you before it needs to be replaced with moderate use.

I agree. I have put many many many 1000's of rounds through shotguns over my lifetime and have never had to replace a barrel.

Hell, with heavy use . SG , low velocity.....plastic wads, soft lead.
The heavy barrel for the 590A1 was supposed to be for bayonet work and throwing around so it can still be use able after bouncing of a few rocks. Military couldn’t care less about wearing out and replacing things, spare parts aren’t an issue for the military when they spec’d the A1

Iam with LES on this one..out of the guns that i own, my duplicates are 4 mossberg 590a1's 3 are 18.5" one SBS, 9 ar-15 carbines all 14.7" , 4 Glock 19's and two Full size Smith and Wesson M&p's. I find a platform that I like and stay with it. It maybe dumb to others but I like more than one of a good thing.

Have a cousin with lots of money his wife used to get a new Cadillac to match the color of each new dress. I heard this from her father. When I ask my cousin how many Cadillacs he owned he said none so I repeated the story his father-in-law had told me. He said oh, now my wife has about 20.

So my answer is get as many as you want as long as you can afford them.

nasa said:
So my answer is get as many as you want as long as you can afford them.

Good answer, who can't use more firearms! :D

Personally, I'm not in that situation, but if I were... right now, if I add anything else it will be for differences.

carbinemike said:
In my book that is a good dilema. I have an 18 1/2" 590A1 and love it. Part of the flex concept is that it can be many shotguns in one basic package. I have tried to add different arms to what I have that will compliment each other and fill a need/use I don't have covered. Perhaps something in 5.56 or a bolt action rifle would be a better addition. In the end, buy what you want and will make you happy. Oh yeah, the 590 will take a pounding too and thanks for your service!

Thanks mike.....appreciate it and I love what I do for this country.
But I guess it is utimatelly what makes you happy.....

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I'm a creature of habit.

If I find a platform I like, I tend to stick with it. Hence the 590 and the 590a1 in the safe...

One is my HD rig and the other is set up for putting lots of rounds down range. They're configured with different sighting systems, stocks, etc., but even if they were'nt I'd still have both. I like the idea of a back-up weapon if one becomes inoperative. For this reason, it makes perfect sense to have your back-up's operating system as similar as possible to your primary.

That's the logical, more rational side of my brain making a justification for why I have multiple weapons of the same platforms. The other side is less concerned with justification and would tell you that if you want it and can afford it, buy it.

The only one it has to make sense to is you...
Guess I'm still trying to figure this new flex system comparability to the 590 interchangeable options. Love them both and will know in the end it will just cost me more, but then again if its worth it and you like it then do it. Love your setups by the way LES.

oli700 said:
It’s funny, I never really thought of it lol.
But I have several Ruger Blackhawks in different calibers. I have a couple 12 gauges, all drastically different…..none of my auto pistols are even in the category……I have bought exact same models twice but only because I regretted getting rid of the first one…. huh ,interesting when I step back and look at it,
It was just a observation that made me scratch my head....:lol:

oli700 said:
Hell, with heavy use . SG , low velocity.....plastic wads, soft lead.
The heavy barrel for the 590A1 was supposed to be for bayonet work and throwing around so it can still be use able after bouncing of a few rocks. Military couldn’t care less about wearing out and replacing things, spare parts aren’t an issue for the military when they spec’d the A1
Haven't done much bayonetting in the military lately, but ur so right on the wearing out and replacing things, hate to admit it but can't deny it....being on the buying end.

Back