• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Re: Awful Tactical .22 Accuracy

from 30 yards with my Mossberg 715T. I have had no accuracy problems at all.
0812121945.jpg

The Mossberg Tactical does seem to be a conundrum, I gotta admit.
One thing I wonder about is where the OP's gun was purchased...all those issues going back and forth to Mossberg...I can't help but wonder where your dealer was in all this.
I know that my Mossberg shot very well right out of the box (1.5" groups offhand at 50yds) but I did get a dud mag with it. Went down to my dealer the next day and he happily exchanged it.
But...once the mag issue was fixed (and a couple more purchased just because the thing is so danged much fun), I've put through 1000+ rounds this summer with only a handful of FTF...all of which were nothing more than racking the bolt.

The Tac 22 is a machine like any other.

There are bound to be a few roll off the line that are outta spec and have issues. For every one that we read issues about, there are hundreds that are problem free. Good to see you've had a positive experience with yours...

snagglepuss said:
The Mossberg Tactical does seem to be a conundrum, I gotta admit.
One thing I wonder about is where the OP's gun was purchased...all those issues going back and forth to Mossberg...I can't help but wonder where your dealer was in all this.
I know that my Mossberg shot very well right out of the box (1.5" groups offhand at 50yds) but I did get a dud mag with it. Went down to my dealer the next day and he happily exchanged it.
But...once the mag issue was fixed (and a couple more purchased just because the thing is so danged much fun), I've put through 1000+ rounds this summer with only a handful of FTF...all of which were nothing more than racking the bolt.

I bought the gun at a gun show on the other side of the state. The dealer was 200 miles away, so it made no sense to use him in the process. Mosscrap was willing to handle the repairs directly, so that was much easier than driving 400 miles to send it back each time.
So, can't fault the dealer.

I realize that many (or most) shoot OK right out of the box, but if o-rings and duck tape are needed
to fix the problem on the other 1%, then I don't want the gun anyway.

What bothered me the most was that I had to deal with a bunch of foreigners at the repair shop that had a problem speaking English. Then, they said it worked OK before they sent it back, but it just got worse.

It was a lemon. They didn't know how to fix it and they wouldn't replace it.

I feel for you Jim.
But I gotta admit, this is why I always (and I mean always) purchase items that can in any way fail from a local dealer if at all possible.
It always helps to be able to stand in front of the guy who sold it to you and tell him you're not leaving the premises till you're happy.
I buy a ton of books and DVD's off of Amazon...but that's about it ;-)

Just got my tax 22 and put on a cheap laser site and a red dot scope. Now I wonder what distance I should use to site the iron sight, laser site and red dot scope. I will just be using it for plinking with my grandson. Any ideas for each site?

Re: Distance to site in

A 25yd zero on both the iron sight and red dot will be pretty much spot on out to 50yd.

The laser will need to be zeroed much closer in and the point of impact will vary greatly as your target distance changes. As a test, (with the rifle unloaded and rendered safe of course) try aligning the laser with your irons on a spot ten feet in front of you on a wall. Then without adjusting the laser, aim at a spot 15-20ft away. You'll see how the laser will be mis-aligned with the irons even with a relatively small change in distance. Bottom line, the laser will only hold zero at the specific distance it's sighted for...

I'm no dummy but why is that? My DD M4 manual states sighting in at 25 yds with iron sights and it should be zeroed for 300 as well. I did the same with my SPARC. Sight in a 25 and I was nailing the steel plate at 200 during our monthly 3 Gun. Granted, the steel plate is not a ringed target and I may have only been catching an edge but it was body size and I was rocking it. Just curious.

Comparing 22lr to .223/5.56 is apples to oranges.

A .223/5.56 bullet has a much flatter trajectory than a .22lr bullet. Ballistics coefficients and maximum effective range of each bullet differs greatly. The maximum effective range of a .22lr is around 150yd and the smaller bullet loses a great deal of energy as it travels. Here are some bullet drop comparisons...

- A 25yd zero on your average .22lr load in a rifle will yield around a 7-8 inch drop in point of impact at 100yd and around 10-12 feet at 300yd.

- A 5.56 25yd zero with an average load will yield around a 1.5 inch drop at 100yd and only around 7.5 inches at 300yd.

Due to the difference in maintained energy and the resulting difference in trajectory, the .22lr and .223/5.56 need to be sighted in much differently at comparative distances within their effective ranges...

Right now I've got my .22lr zeroed at 100 yards. I wonder if that's a mistake given the amount of drop it has I'm probably way high at shorter distances.

Edit: a quick google search on my ammo and I've figured out a new game plan. I'm going to sight rifle in at 1 inch high at 50 yard or roughly 75yard zero. Here's the link to the ammo I've been using: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0050

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Comparing 22lr to .223/5.56 is apples to oranges.

A .223/5.56 bullet has a much flatter trajectory than a .22lr bullet. Ballistics coefficients and maximum effective range of each bullet differs greatly. The maximum effective range of a .22lr is around 150yd and the smaller bullet loses a great deal of energy as it travels. Here are some bullet drop comparisons...

- A 25yd zero on your average .22lr load in a rifle will yield around a 7-8 inch drop in point of impact at 100yd and around 10-12 feet at 300yd.

- A 5.56 25yd zero with an average load will yield around a 1.5 inch drop at 100yd and only around 7.5 inches at 300yd.

Due to the difference in maintained energy and the resulting difference in trajectory, the .22lr and .223/5.56 need to be sighted in much differently at comparative distances within their effective ranges...

Ok. I always thought the 22LR held it's energy and therefore trajectory much farther.

rjpoog1989 said:
Right now I've got my .22lr zeroed at 100 yards. I wonder if that's a mistake given the amount of drop it has I'm probably way high at shorter distances.

Edit: a quick google search on my ammo and I've figured out a new game plan. I'm going to sight rifle in at 1 inch high at 50 yard or roughly 75yard zero. Here's the link to the ammo I've been using: http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0050

It really just depends on what distance you plan on shooting the most.

A .22lr trajectory on a 100yd zero will reach it's apex between 50-60yd where POI will be around 3" to 3.5" high. Inside 50yd the POI will get progressively closer to POA as your distance decreases. A 50yd zero will yield a much more consistent POA/POI relationship for distances inside 50yd, but will begin to require hold-over compensation at anything past your zero.

Either way you go, you'll need to adjust your sight hold for distances shorter and further than your zero...

rjpoog1989 said:
I thought the same thing, as well as assumed flatter trajectory...

^ Those CCI Stingers you're using are a LOT hotter than your average .22lr load. They'll definitely hold a flatter trajectory than most. The biggest problem .22lr loads face is their low ballistics coefficient. The small projectile simply doesn't have enough mass or density to carry its energy against air resistance...

All good posts and good info here. Great jobs, guys.

If you want to be amazed, look at how a subsonic .22LR Match round drops like a bag of wet cement beyond 50-yards.

Haha, yes it does!

I was pretty shocked at the change in POI even at 50yd with subsonic...

I appreciate the update Jim! I truly apologize for the horrible customer service that you went through with your Mossberg 715T. Feel free to post up in our Other Firearms section about your M&P. I am sure others would love to hear about your experience with it.

sight pin question for red dot

I am looking at different sight pins to zero the red dot (when I get it) and I'm not sure what the differences between the .019, .029, .040 truglo pro dot sight pins are. Anyone.......... anyone.........?????? I appreciate it :)

Re: sight pin question for red dot

Sight Pins? I am new too this, as I thought only the Railway Sights that C-more makes, had changeable optic sizes. Do you have a link to what sight you are getting?

Back