• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: 500 barrel issue **pic added**

and if you compare chamber ends of the two barrels ? do the look identical ? look for sight bends or some build up inside the reciever .....

oli700 said:
and if you compare chamber ends of the two barrels ? do the look identical ? look for sight bends or some build up inside the reciever .....

Yes, they look identical and their arent any noticeable bends. I contacted Mossberg and Im sure theyll resolve this issue for me but it is a little disappointing because the gun is like new.

I would have to hold it to try to help ya, sorry. Hope you get it figured out and let us know what you find out

oli700 said:
I would have to hold it to try to help ya, sorry. Hope you get it figured out and let us know what you find out
It has to be the barrel. I took it off 50 times and tried to get it on straight but it must be tweaked. Like I said the rifled barrel falls right in like butter so I dont think it has to do with my inexperience with shotguns.

Hope OFM gets you taken care, I can't offer much help from here.

Keep us posted.

When you are trying to install the barrel, you do have the bolt back right?

Zacritz929 said:
It has to be the barrel. I took it off 50 times and tried to get it on straight but it must be tweaked. Like I said the rifled barrel falls right in like butter so I dont think it has to do with my inexperience with shotguns.

I don’t know but my first thought was something happened to your smoothbore barrel while you were running the riffled barrel like the tab with the square hole in it that runs off the chamber, got tweaked somehow......possible ?
That’s really the only thing that can set the barrel off like that because you already know the receiver and you install skills are good as you can install the riffled barrel fine. All other possibilities eliminated it has to be your barrel, something about it you’re not seeing.

oli700 said:
Zacritz929 said:

I don’t know but my first thought was something happened to your smoothbore barrel while you were running the riffled barrel like the tab with the square hole in it that runs off the chamber, got tweaked somehow......possible ?
That’s really the only thing that can set the barrel off like that because you already know the receiver and you install skills are good as you can install the riffled barrel fine. All other possibilities eliminated it has to be your barrel, something about it you’re not seeing.
That's exactly what I'm thinking happened. And whatever it is can't be seen by the naked eye.

threads for pictinny rail?

does anyone know the thread size and length for a picatinny rail?

i ordered a kit from optics planet and they gave me the wrong screws and they are too bug of a hassle to get the correct screws.

if any of you guys know the size please let me know

thanks

I'm new to Mossbergs, but I believe the barrel extension (the rear part that actually goes into the receiver and the bolt locks into) is threaded or pressed onto the barrel. I think it is possible this extension has turned on the barrel slightly. Is this a possibility?

Re: threads for pictinny rail?

Dang, I used to have some but don't anymore to be able to measure them.

Uhh, maybe I can at least find the thread pitch in a seearch. Ill come back to this!

Re: threads for pictinny rail?

What I found says they are an 8/40 thread pitch and it gave a torque specification of 15 inch pounds to prevent damage. I never did that, just was careful...

What it didn't tell me was how long the 4 screws should be, but if you have some on hand, you may be able to use those for reference.

Re: porting

It is usually around $100 but it depends on who and where it is done. I am a huge fan of VangComp (https://vangcomp.com/) when it comes it barrel work. I would give them a call and see what they have to say.

guntoter said:
I'm new to Mossbergs, but I believe the barrel extension (the rear part that actually goes into the receiver and the bolt locks into) is threaded or pressed onto the barrel. I think it is possible this extension has turned on the barrel slightly. Is this a possibility?
Hmm I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can chime in. That sounds like it could be causing my issue

I would check out your extractor and see if the tongue that fits into the barrel lug slot has bent.
It may have happened while shooting slugs in the slug barrel.

It is a crazy idea, but all I got at the moment.

Re: porting

Porting a shotgun will reduce the muzzle climb and muzzle flash.
Rossignol has posted a couple videos of some test shooting he did. It is amazing how the muzzle climb is almost eliminated and the muzzle flash reduced.

Back