• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

CT School Shooting

Re: Fienstein to introduce Assault Weapon Ban

haha, Mike, that is some good stuff right there! I can't imagine that would happen too swiftly here in the states :(

Re: Connecticut School shooting.

**Sorry for the double post but this needs to be talked about**

At a local school, a Grandfather went in to pick up his Grand Child for dinner. He realized he was carrying, informed the immediate staff in the office, showed his permit and license. The staff pretty said, "Oh, okay, thanks for the heads up...". No one initially reported it because nothing came of it, there was no threat, no was concerned. Well this information reached the schools Super.

She immediately contacted State Police, PA Attorney General and is seeking help from BHO himself. She is pressing charges against the man for having a firearm on school grounds. So far the State Police see no law broken. Technically you are not allowed any weapon on school grounds except the man had a legal CCW Permit and that is where the Gray area rolls in.. State Police don't know what to make of it and how to handle it...

Ideas? Comments? knowledge?

Re: Fienstein to introduce Assault Weapon Ban

Then again a lot (almost half) of Israeli citizens have to serve two years (for women) or three years (for men) in the IDF. There are things that can exempt you from service, but the majority of the day to day citizenry there are trained soldiers. Imagine if that were the case with some of the staff there that day.

There are a few states that say "F*** the Feds, this is our school district and we'll run it the way we want." I don't know if PA is one of those states, but if it is then he's done nothing wrong. A lot of states go along with the Federal regulation though. My state says we can have the weapon secured in a cargo area not readily available to anyone in the car or unloaded secured in a secure container. I'm assuming that means with the ammo in a separate cargo area as that's the stipulation for transporting firearms in a vehicle without a permit to carry here. I may have to send an e-mail to the State Dept. of Public Safety and get a clearer view on that as my oldest starts school next year. I'm really considering home schooling.

I'll have to look this one up tonight. I say leave the guy alone.

I can say that I have told my son if he is at school and realizes he accidentally has something he shouldn't (like his scout pocket knife) he is not to tell anyone, he is to let it in his pocket, keep his yap shut and bring it home. I told him I want to know about it but wouldn't punish him if he's honest with me.
I was 10 feet from security (pre 9/11) at Harrisburg Intl. when I remembered I had a 5" long blade in my pocket. I turned and walked away and just took it back to the car. I think that old guy would have been better to just walk away quietly.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
...I'm really considering home schooling...

This is an option being discussed among many family members of mine. I was Home Schooled in 2nd grade... the most significant problem we had with me.. I wanted the TV too much haha. It was a distraction until my father removed it from the living-room until school was over. I passed with some of the highest scores on the tests required for PA Home Schooled Students. It is a viable option.

There is a news update about the Grandfather... his name is not released but it has since been made that he is a "Guardian" not the Grandfather. District Attorney is saying that "You may NOT have a gun on school grounds, as for this gentleman, he may be let go with a warning, but future incidents will be dealt with too the fullest extent of the law.." It is still under discussion, the public, other parents, are being asked what they think.

Mike, I completely agree, but from what I am getting from the news, he is an older man. I know my Grandfather would have done what he felt was right and would have informed the staff of the firearm, picked me up, been on his way. There were many times I as a kid accidentally took my pocket knife or wood working knife too school in my cargo pocket from the day before.. It happens.. and as you said, shut up, leave it in your pocket and come home. No harm done!

Most of my schooling was in a small community in southern Iowa. We were allowed to carry a pocket knife to school. It said so right in the Student Handbook. Now a little context. I'm 25, so this was not that long ago. I'm sure it's different now, but we didn't have people stabbing/shooting each other. We had the typical bullies that all schools have as well as one or two of the "trouble makers" that pulled stupid pranks that went to far, but that was it. What happened in the last 10 years? Is it my generation that is now becoming parents that think our parents way of parenting was to harsh? I just don't get it.

As far as home schooling, we've been giving it kind of a test run with our oldest. Our school district likes children to have two years of pre-school level education. We decided, mostly because pre-schools charge for the first year but not the second, to work with our son at home for the first year. We've been running into a few of the issues that I'm sure every home school parent runs into these days with technological distractions, but we've also incorporated the Kindle Fire and laptop to help with making learning fun and interactive. A big thing I like with home schooling is that I can teach my children real history, real Constitutional views and real ethics. Not watered down/PC-ified version of things.

Sn3aKyGuY said:
...What happened in the last 10 years? Is it my generation that is now becoming parents that think our parents way of parenting was to harsh? I just don't get it...

If that is the case, we are slowly switching back to the original plan.. beat some common sense into your kids! :p I was corrected appropriately when I did something wrong. I believe I said it before and in this thread lol... I turned out pretty dang well if I may say so myself :D

My Fiance and I are sure we will appropriately spank and correct our children. It is how we both were raised and among our various siblings, we are the most successful and well rounded. I believe it makes a bit of a difference that we are both middle children too :p

We got a call last night from my sister telling us that threats were supposedly made at out local H.S. by a kid to shoot the place up and the the threat included my sons E.S. It sounded like rumors but my wife held them back to start the day until she talked to someone. They ultimately went 30 minutes late. It did make me pause though and wonder "what if". Tonight the state police arrested a 16 year old for indeed making the threat. Whether it was real or not we don't know. I hope they throw the book at him either way.

That's crazy Carbinemike!!

And to that douche kid... play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Mike, I am sorry that you have been caught up in something like that! I believe I heard what you mentioned on WJAC-TV (Channel 6). The events following this horrible incident have only escalated, especially in our area, which is sad because I thought we definitely were too rural for that junk to happen.

Not confirmed yet but word has it he had a hit list of people on him.

That is the story I heard on the news.. I am sorry you were caught up in that mess :(

I didn't even hear about that, but I've been trying to avoid the news... Sorry to hear that something like that happened so close to you.

Thanks for the concern guys. It does make you think when you're heading out the door saying good bye to your kids in the morning.

The Amish 1 room school massacre in 2006 was in my county. A guy that had never shown any issues, had a wife, 3 kids and a job snapped and killed 5 little Amish girls and severely wounded 5 others. Talk about something that will make you sit up and think.

I commented on one of these threads about schools not being real secure. Well, some guy took a 2x4 with "high powered rifle" on it into his local school to show how easy it would be. He was arrested and is being given mental testing. This isn't a great time to make the point but still...no word on how right the guy was.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/2...ht-2-x-4-with-high-power-rifle-written-on-it/

Re: As a Gun Owner, What could you accept?

This is definately the wrong thread for this but, according to this video, this is the real reason for the massacre in my state.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKBJwbAjUZk[/youtube]

Edit - I merged it over here - carbinemike

The effects of prescription drugs and their role in these events are blatantly apparent. This issue is nothing new.

August 1st, 1966, Charles Whitman stabbed his mother and his wife to death, then made his way to the 27th floor observation deck of the University of Texas Tower where he proceeded to kill 13 people and wound 32 others. With him in the tower were a machete, a 6mm Remington 700 ADL, an M1 carbine, a .35 cal Remington m141, a sawed-off 12 gauge, a .357mag S&W 19, a 9mm Luger P08, a .25cal Galesi-Brescia, and 700 rounds of ammunition.

Then Gov. John Connally commissioned a "task force" which determined Whitman's actions likely resulted from a congenital brain tumor and the use of prescription drugs including valium and dextroamphetamine, an antidepressant which was an early form of the ADHD drug Adderall. Whitman had complained of constant headaches and uncontrolled anger during visits with five different university doctors in the year leading up to the shootings including the university's staff psychiatrist, Dr. Maurice Dean Heatly.

From Dr. Heatly's notes during Whitman's visit on March 29, 1966, four months before the shooting...

Dr. Heatly-

"He readily admits having overwhelming periods of hostility with a very minimum of provocation. Repeated inquiries attempting to analyze his exact experiences were not too successful with the exception of his vivid reference to 'thinking about going up on the tower with a deer rifle and start shooting people'."

After the one session Whitman never returned to see Dr. Heatly again although he did comment on the meeting in his suicide note...

Whitman-

"I talked with a Doctor once for about two hours and tried to convey to him my fears that I felt some overwhelming violent impulses. After one visit, I never saw the Doctor again, and since then have been fighting my mental turmoil alone, and seemingly to no avail."

Any of this sound familiar?

Virtually all perpetrators of these mass shootings were on a form of prescribed antidepressant or psychostimulant medication which have a LONG history of documented side effects up to and including psychotic episodes. Prolonged use of these medications can cause amphetamine psychosis and even excited delirium characterized by a combination of anxiety, disorientation, delusions, hallucinations, violent and irratic behavior, elevated body temperature, and an insensitivity to pain. Many of these individuals had reached out to others, even professionals and expressed their suicidal and homicidal impulses.

Anybody want to guess why this information isn't pushed to the forefront of the conversation?

In 2011, the firearms industry generated approximately $31 billion. In contrast, big pharma generated close to $900 billion last year. With a commercial for a different medication on the TV every five minutes, which way do you suppose the media is going to swing when it comes time to point fingers?

LES, good psting there, good info.

Problem is, mental illness doesn't fit the agenda and won't disarm citizens. One of their arguments is that criminals and criminally insane, not bein able to obtain firearms on their own, will readily obtain them through theft of legally owned arms. The only logical conclusion therefor is to ban private ownership.

I'm still sickened over the politicizing of such a tragedy, I hate that any of this is being discussed right now. I personallyam still deeply affected by this as I'm certain others here are too. There is however no choice but to fight right now and make as many people aware of the facts surrounding the issues as possible.

Back