• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Re: sight pin question for red dot

I'm not to computer savvy so I don't know how to post a link. The sight pins I'm talking about are on cabellas under truglo pro dot sight pins. It will be my first red dot so I'm trying to figure it out myself :)

Archery sights use sight pins - those sights look like this:
TG500XB.jpg

Rifle red dots are sealed and are only adjustable via external controls for dot brightness and color - they come in open and closed styles:

TG8360B.jpg

TG8030DB.jpg

They do not magnify like a scope:

TG8539BX.jpg

Helpful??

I thought what I was looking at were sight pins that you would put in the end of the barrel to zero a scope or red dot sight. I have seen people use some kind of laser that goes in the end of the barrel and sight their scopes in. If the red dot sight pins aren't what I'm looking for, do you know what they call those laser sighting devices?

Yep - you are looking for a bore sight. Typically they insert in the chamber like a round of ammo and make a laser dot that you can true / zero any sight or scope to. There is a universal model - I have not used that. I buy one for each caliber of firearm that I want to sight. They can be found at most of the larger on-line gun stores, Amazon or eBay.

31OuAM4MPuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hmmm - 22 rifles are a tight fit. I just did mine 'manually' using iron sights as a guide. I saw this 'remote' laser with poor reviews and passed
31iEfgpXx-L._SS500_.jpg

What sights are on the gun now??

I've got a LaserLyte universal bore sighter and it works pretty well...

LaserLyte Universal Laser Boresighter

Got mine at the local BassPro several years ago. Goes through batteries pretty quick, but it's still workin just fine. It comes with adapters for use with multiple calibers and is advertised to fit from .22 to .50 cal barrels...

Good news LES. I don't know anyone else using one and having a single unit sure would come in handy. Frankly I could sell 2 or 3 of my caliber specific units and put one in the gear bag. Getting within 4" on paper at 100 yds is a bit of a reach but I usually start closer and step up in distance. The 702 was not tough to sight in old school because I had iron sights that I knew were well sighted. It sounds like the 715 Tactical may be starting from no sights - that's can be a crap shoot.

I use it to sight in my newly mounted scopes, red dots, etc at the house.

There's a little more room for error vs. the chamber mounted bore sights, but it's good enough to get me on paper at 25yd at the range and I can fine tune from there. Usually get zeroed in three shots or less...

I do the same thing. Through 3 rooms, at the right angle I can set up just about a 50' shot then it's off to the range!

Well this all clears up my confusion :) haha I thought I had been missing something with Red Dots for a long time now! :(

Thanks again fellas, this will be my first time sighting a gun w/out the cost of shooting up ammo!:) I'll definitely like that!

Sighting issues

Hello all, I just took my new 715T flat top to an indoor range today to zero the rifle. Before shooting, I had cleaned the barrel and chamber (without taking the gun apart). I was using 40 grain CCI's with 23 to 25 rounds in the mag each time. The good thing was that I did not have a single fte and only one ftf over 200 rounds.

Now the bad thing is, I've adjusted the rear sight to its tallest setting and yet the shots are consistently about 3 inches below the target at 30 yards (grouping was fine). My shooting profile is right handed, using my right eye and my cheek resting on the stock. Am I doing something wrong here or is it the gun?

Re: Sighting issues

did you try adjusting the front sight??

I could be wrong on how you want to adjust it...but my guess would be that you want it higher...so you just press down on the front sight...and turn it counter clockwise...best to use pliers

Re: Sighting issues

neither did I until i watched a guy do it on youtube and tried it myself haha. maybe I should put this on the forums

fa1rshooter said:
I didnt know the front sights were adjustable. That should do it. Thanks buddy.

Sighting Your Tactical .22 * something You May Not Know

I've come across 3 people now who didn't know about this....but when your sighting your tactical .22.....all of you adjust your rear sight...but you never adjust the front..because most people don't know that you can.

I don't have any pictures. But the front sight is actually adjustable...all you need is some pliers..push down the front sight and it will turn left or right..counter clockwise brings it up..clockwise brings it down. ...normally when they are sighted at the factory..the pin...should be turned enough to be flush with the rest of the sight...but it may not always be true.

just thought I'd let you guys know this.

Re: Sighting Your Tactical .22 * something You May Not Know

Good info.

Many already familiar with the AR platform may know this, those that are not may not.

Shooting way low

Hey everyone, just got my 715T flat top about a week ago and i've had the chance to shoot at least 300 rounds with it. First shot I took was way to the left and very low so I raised the sight all the way to the top and i'm still shooting low... I'm new to the gun world and have no experience with AR-15 type sights so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I read somewhere that you can raise or lower the front sight, could that maybe do it ?
Thanks for the help.

Re: Shooting way low

Yep, you can adjust the front sight too. In your case, you'll want to lower it, or screw it in (CW).

The Federal rounds I shot today have a 5.6" drop at 100 yards... according to the box they came in.

Back