• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Older 500 Disassembly

I am disassemblying an older 500 that my son acquired, but I can not get the forearm assembly to come out of the receiver. The receiver is completely stripped. I have stripped 500s many times and never had a problem - the fore arm usually just slides out freely. Any tips?

Little more info.: this is a 500AB. I have noticed that the firing pin does not use a spring, the trigger assembly fits into a notch across the full width of the receiver's bottom opening and the bolt is jeweled. May just consider parting out the gun any of you guys need some of these older parts.

The forearm NEVER slides out freely on any of my 4 500's.
The action bars have a spring steel tension bar on them at the tube end, that means, with the gun upside down, you need to push on them to get them out of the receiver.

Got it off. On older 500s the magazine tube must removed, and the forearm assembly comes off with it. This old gun has some very unique features, compared to newer guns. I will take some pictures later. I think it is an educational gun to see.

old mossy, I will check the birth date when I can, but I want to go ahead and post some pics.

There are rings on the tube and a spring behind the aft ring. There is grease on these rings and the forearm tube rides on the rings instead of the whole tube. The spring behind the aft ring is to cushion the forearm when slamed forward.
IMG_3150_zps885c42a4.jpg

The bolt and elevator are jeweled, and the bolt does not have spring inside. Also, it has a metal safety.

IMG_3149_zps74068227.jpg

IMG_3151_zps99515ce8.jpg

BigJohn said:
I am disassemblying an older 500 that my son acquired, but I can not get the forearm assembly to come out of the receiver. The receiver is completely stripped. I have stripped 500s many times and never had a problem - the fore arm usually just slides out freely. Any tips?

Little more info.: this is a 500AB. I have noticed that the firing pin does not use a spring, the trigger assembly fits into a notch across the full width of the receiver's bottom opening and the bolt is jeweled. May just consider parting out the gun any of you guys need some of these older parts.

what does the stock and forend look like?

This gun was so dirty that I did not try to rack it, but looking at the parts it should be smoother operating than the newer models. The bolt lock operates more freely without a spring in there like the new models, and the greased forearm seems more precise.

Back