• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

Re: Should I be concerned?

Awesome! Very good report :D
I wan't to replace my Magazine Spring and follower, but that is a topic for another time :)

new 930SPX owner, gun won't fire after only 16 rounds

So I took my week old 930SPX to the range today to see how she shoots.

I had already broken her down and cleaned out the crud, re-assembly went without a hitch.

I was shooting some Remington 2-3/4 shells, 1290fps velocity, 8 shot. I was loading them up 5 at a time, and the first 15 went without a hitch. On the 16th shot the gun fired, and ejected the spent shell, but when I pulled the trigger again - nothing. It's like the trigger won't break, it moves back but there's no "click" (sorry, I don't have a more technical way of describing what's happening).

I took her home and disassembled and reassembled her, but no change.

Any ideas? I'd hate to have to ship her back to Mossberg after one week of ownership...

Hopefully this is something I did and it can be rectified without a return.

Re: new 930SPX owner, gun won't fire after only 16 rounds

welcome from NY.
i dont own a 930,but i was looking around and found these pics.maybe you can spot your problem.

Attachments

• 930 trigger group 1.JPG
    930 trigger group 1.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 391
  • 930 trigger group 2.JPG
    930 trigger group 2.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 930 trigger group 3.JPG
    930 trigger group 3.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 391

one more pic

Attachments

• 930 trigger group 4.JPG
    930 trigger group 4.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 389

1.When your hammer is cocked, it will look like this:
2.Put you hand over the hammer and pull the trigger and release the spring tension:
3.Let the hammer go all the way forward, like this:
4.The pin, spring, and cup go into the trigger group as shown here:
these were the titles on the pics.like i said, i dont own one,just trying to help.

SGT45 said:
Kev,

See my thread here- viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5559

I spoke to "Roger" too. I was very polite and calm. He was a "TOOL". In a very abrupt, condescending tone He told me that they had fixed the canted front sight problem on the 930's a while ago. I calmly told him "Well, I guess not all of them". I told them that this is a Manufacturing QC issue and demanded a return shipping label. I sent her back and have not heard a thing yet. I have it on my 'notes to self" to call Javier on Monday. I am really starting to think I/we made a mistake. Mossberg should recognise this is a problem and correct it without any grief to the customer! Good luck my friend.

Thanks SGT- I was already kind of bummed out to have to resort to calling CS, and when not offered an RMA number or shipping label, it bummed me out even more. I decided to tuck away the upset and move forward. Looking ahead I knew Christmas was coming up and didn't want to take the chance anyway of waiting for who knows how long to get a shipper, and sending it in asap became my priority. It cost me a little over $20 (there went the money saved on the "sale"! LOL), and a little bit of scrutiny from the guys at Fedex ("Is it deconstructed? It's not loaded, right? It's going in for service? Let me check with my supervisor"). Everything went out okay, and it was received in 3 days in Texas.

I read through your thread, and wish us both better luck from here going forward. It seems many are quite happy with their SPX's, so let's hope we are few in number and give Mossberg the benefit of the doubt. Speaking of Benelli and rubbing some salt in my wound, my cousin had just picked up an M4 and it is running flawlessly. I bought this as an alternative, as I can't really afford one of those. In research I believed the SPX was the best bang for the buck. We'll see!

On a side note, when I first opened the box, I noticed I didn't get a .375 rise spacer- got two .250 spacers instead and promptly emailed Mossberg, previous to me sending the gun in. Got an email reply after 10 days, and had quite an "interesting" back and forth to clarify the omission (not in a good way). I may elaborate down the line. Sheesh. They will send me the correct part shortly. Unfortunately, in the meantime, I had already sent the whole spacer/plate kit in along with a note with the gun. I'm now hoping there's no screw ups, and they all come back with the shotgun.

Just hoping I got a "Friday afternoon" gun and this is not par for the course.

Water Monkey said:
Itsricmo said:
I wonder if Mossberg should have just stuck too Pump Action models lol... I don't see nearly half the complaints on any pump action subsection. I could be wrong but it looks too me like they can't make any Semi-auto shottys to save their butts!

FWIW my 930spx is basically flawless.

Mossberg seems to have an issue with the quality control of the barrels regarding the ghost ring sights (this issue seems to stand out above all others). Why they haven't addressed it more aggressively is probably due to the fact that sales are still through the roof so they are not feeling the economic impact of their decisions which is the primary driver in the final decision making process with manufacturing.

As far as reliability I've had my 590A1 fail and fail big time due to the cartridge stopper being bent too far inwards which caused excessive wear on the action slide rod and the cartridge stopper. End result was in 400 rounds the shotgun wouldn't load another round from the magazine tube.

Would I consider the 590A1 series crap based on my experience. No. QC issue most definitely. Plus it's a machine and will eventually break down. But I was able to fix it and have no issues going forward.

If your shotgun is not made correctly get a new one from Mossberg and stay on their ass if you can't fix the problem yourself.

I was also looking at this pumper as an alternative if the SPX thing didn't work out for me.

Well I am glad that you atleast got it in and they received it! Please keep us up to date on how this is going!

Thanks for the pix, they were very helpful. So after I pull back on the operating handle and lock the action open (empty chamber) then push the bolt release button to close the bolt, the trigger should be cocked - and the cocking indicator button is sticking out into the trigger guard, but when I remove the trigger group it looks like the third picture, so it isn't cocking the hammer.

Any thoughts?

my mistake ,the pics are not in proper order,,,,#3,,,#2,,,#1,,,#4. i guess that got moved around when posting.

like i said,i dont own a 930,but im sure one of the other members will be able to help you further.

Any update on the situation?

My 930SPX problems

Hi, new member. So I had a 590A1 in the past but stupidly traded it in at my local gun store for what, I don't remember. I recently saw a 930SPX at the same gun store I do all my business and purchased one. I have been wanting one for a while and wish I would have now waited until all the bugs get worked out. Here is my story with it. Brought it home and put it in the safe for a week, starting doing some research about them and the first complaint I saw was the mag tube getting marred up from taking the barrel on and off. So out of concern I took mine off and sure as hell there it was, a big ass single gouge on the bottom of the mag tube about 3 inches long. Long story short, I lightly filed the tapered part of the coil that was causing the gouge in the mag tube, used steel wool to get out the deep scratch on the tube and got it as original as I could and re-blued the mag tube and now it went away as far as I can tell for the time being. I purchased a Nordic +3 tube, installed it and left about 13 inches of spring showing out of the end of the mag tube, went to try and get in 9 dummies but could only get in 7. I dropped the factory follower down the tube and it get's partially hung up where the extension meets the end of the mag tube threads and then I have to shake the rifle to get it to drop down the rest of the way down. So my two questions are, why is the follower getting partially hung up where the extension tube meets the mag tube and what else should I look for that could possibly be wrong. I will take it out this weekend to try it out and see how it performs so I am not too pissed just yet. Here is a pic of the rifle:

Edit to add: The sights (front sight especially) are not canted and are actually very straight.
DSC03596.jpg

Re: My 930SPX problems

Welcome aboard Sir!

Aside from the tube extension not being threaded on straight, we have also seen the hang-ups being caused by the forearm not seating properly on the receiver. If the forearm sitting a touch too far forward it can prevent the extension from being threaded all the way on, causing a gap at the junction on the inside of the tube. One of our members removed a slight amount of material from the receiver end of his forearm which allowed it to seat properly and the tube to be threaded on completely. I've only seen one instance here where this was the cause though...

Re: Had 2 problems with my spx today **updated with video**

I sent it back to mossberg at there request.I just got it back today.haven't shot it yet.
in the letter below that i sent with the shot gun i pointed out the problem i was having and some other concerns i had.

the invoice that came back with the shot gun says.m930-spx 18syn matte mag extsn,picatinny rail
that is all it says.i am disappointed that they did not explain what they did to fix it like i asked them to.

the only things i notice different is the shell lifter seems to stick out more from the bottom of the shotgun and it looks like they filed on the shell stop.i cant get it to jam like it would before by just working the action.so hopefully what ever they did fixed the problem

To Whom it may concern: 11/24/12

The shot gun will not cycle 3 inch mag shells. After shooting the first round the shell lifter, bolt jam.and a shell starts to come out of the magazine under the shell lifter, some times falling out to the ground; see pictures.

Also the shell lifter will sometimes jam in the "up" position, firing 2 3/4 shells, but does not have the problem with the shells coming out under the shell lifter. The shell lifter/bolt will also jam working the action by hand if you try it enough with no shells in the gun.

It is also hard to load and unload shells at times in the magazine, more so with high brass shells. It seems the lifter is not always pushing down in the cut- out slot in the bottom of the bolt; due to all the side-to-side play in the trigger group. If you wiggle the end of the shell lifter, you can almost get it to touch the side of the receiver, do to all the play in the trigger/receiver area.

Also included are some other pictures that may show a problem; see pictures for details. The shotgun has about two hundred rounds fired through it. Please check over the entire shotgun for any known problems and unusual wear. Please let me know if any of my concerns are in deed a problem and what was done to fix them and why.

I purchased this shotgun for home defense and need it to be one hundred percent reliable. I would appreciate your complete attention in making this gun up to the high standard that I expected from a Mossberd product.

Re: Had 2 problems with my spx today **updated with video**

Keep us posted once you get it out to the range.

Good luck and I hope they got you fixed up...

Oh lord, why me? The first thing I noticed when I got my shotgun home from the dealer was the .375 rise spacer was missing from the retention plate/spacer kit. I immediately emailed Mossberg to see if I was mistaken about the make up of the plates kit. In the meantime, I took the gun out to the range and began breaking it in and testing various loads. 10 days after the initial email, and a few days after I sent the shotgun back for service, I got the following. I've omitted the reps name, but this is an exact transcript of my conversation with a Mossberg service center email rep:

Me: Stock Spacer for 930 SPX
Greetings,
I just purchased a 930 SPX shotgun. In the packet which contains the stock spacers and retention plates, I believe I am missing the .375 rise spacer- two .250 rise spacers came instead. Is this correct? I am under the impression if I am to use the .375 retention plate, that I would need a matching numbered rise spacer? Is so, may I get a replacement? Should I send the duplicate .250 back to Mossberg?
Thanks for any info

Mossberg:
Sir this models should have .125 rise , .250 rise ,.375 rise and the .125 drop . If you are missing the .125 rise spacer I can send it out , Just forward me your serial number of your firearm. Thank you

Me:
Thanks for replying. Actually it is the .375 rise spacer that is missing.
I've since had to send the gun in for feed/cycling issues, and sent all the spacers and retention plates back with it, along with a note about the missing .375 rise spacer. Hopefully this will resolve my issues.
FYI, attached is a copy of that service request along with the serial number. Fedex indicates that the shotgun has arrived today at the service center.

Mossberg:
Sir I will send you the correct stock retention plate

Me:
It's the .375 spacer, not the retention plate!

Mossberg:
Got it , I will send it out by early next week. Please give it about 4-5 business days for Delivery.

Me:
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXXX,
Your package arrived today, and you sent the wrong piece. As I've stated numerous times, even in the title of my email, I need the .375 rise spacer.
You sent me the retention plate, that already comes installed on the gun from the factory.
I'm sort of at my wits end here, and don't know how to explain this to you any better.

Mossberg:
Can you be able to send me a picture of the item you need so I can send you the correct one. I was told they did send you the correct one. Just to make sure .

Me:
As stated previously, I don't have the retention plates/spacer kit anymore, as I sent them in with my 930 SPX for warranty repair service, before you answered my original email. At the time I sent in my original email request, upon taking shipment of the gun, I had no idea that my gun would have cycling issues, etc. I therefore can't photograph it for you.
If you are not familiar with gun in which you are a customer service representative for, may I suggest you find a 930 SPX Owner's manual, look on page 20, Figure 18, and the part is diagrammed right above the letter F in the word "Figure 18". It's a plastic D shaped spacer, with a hole in the center with a notch on top of the hole. I believe it should say ".375 rise" on it.
Would it not be easier to simply coordinate yourself with the repair center, who presently have my shotgun, and just make sure the proper parts kit comes back with my repaired shotgun? I've already sent you the serial number of my gun in a previous email attachment, so it should be easy to locate, shouldn't it?

Mossberg:
I know which stock spacer you are referring too. I will send it out. I do apologize for the confusion .

So the second shipment arrives in due time- a complete set sealed set of retention plates and spacers, along with a 2013 catalog. Guess he needed to rub some salt in the wound. It does indeed have the .375 spacer in it, but now this set has two .250 drop spacers and no .250 rise spacer! Now I have to hope my original set comes back with shotgun from service, or I will still not have a complete set. Wow.

I've also since called customer service after doing more reading here, two weeks after they received my shipment. The rep said, it wasn't in there system. Double checked fedex, and sure enough it had been received and signed for. After waiting on hold for 20 minutes, she confirmed it was there, just not logged in yet. Geez, great, it's just been sitting there for two weeks on the dock. So now it's in their system, and I decide to ask how long they think it will take. Another ten minutes and she can't find the service center supervisor, but will have him call me back. He never calls, so I make two more calls on successive days with the 15-30 minute wait, and each time I'm told someone will call me back later that day. Each day I receive no reply.

Well, I've given up on getting that info, and will just have to wait to see what shows up, whenever. I'm usually not the type who complains much, especially given the circumstances with the firearms market right now, but am really astounded at how poorly this is going so far. I'm hoping everything will work out in the long run, but will not hold my breath.

Sorry for the long post or even that I had to make it, but thought you guys might find this interesting/funny at my own sanity's expense. Looks like we made it through the 2012 apocalypse and personally hoping for better luck in the coming year.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Mossberg owners.

Holy crap, that sounds frustrating!

Don't apologize for the post, this is good info for our board owner when he meets with Mossberg at the SHOT show this year. We need all the documentation of cases like yours we can get to hopefully make an impression on them and affect change. Good luck with your resolution and keep us posted.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you as well Sir...

I called Mosberg and they told me to ship her back. The gun was delivered to them on 12/18, and I haven't heard anything yet. Based on some of the other posts I've read I'm kind of expecting the gun to just show up at my house in mid-January. We'll see.

Re: My 930SPX problems

I have a +1 ext. from Choate on my 18'' A1. Its not a 100% ''true'' as far as the way the tube is pressed into the thread flange. (I think that's how they are made?).. Reguardless its sits crooked when threaded in. I have to shim the ext on one side to get it to look straight. If Its not shimmed, it looks like something a child super glued onto the end of the SG.

Case & Point is.... I get mag tube jams once & a while if Im not paying attention & slide 7 in the tube. There's something to be said about the inside where the two pieces adbutt eachother.

I shot Choate a lengthy email about it but never heard back.:mad:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

So I have an issue with my 930 field after only 100 shells through it.

The bolt will not always lock in the open position. This is happening if I dry cycle it or when shooting live shells.

When if fails to lock open, I sometimes need to pull the bolt handle back 5 ot 6 times before it will stay open.

Anyone know what is going on with this?

Back