• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

field stripping 464 lever action

VTXPhil

.22LR
Ok this might sound stupid, but I was always told the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked. So here we go. I went out and put about 80 rounds through my 464 and wanted to clean it afte. Here is the question. How is the bolt removed. I got the lever loose but not unattached from the bolt. I removed the trap door for the tube but thats about it. Is there a video out there to watch?

I guess so with the lack of response no one has completely field stripped their 464 before. ie: removed the bolt for better cleaning.

So the paper work doesn’t come with a diagram or field striping instructions?

Just checked the on-line 464 owner's manual and found this on page 7...

DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY
Normal maintenance of your Mossberg 464™ Lever Action does not require any
disassembly. Service beyond cleaning and lubrication should be performed by a
qualified gunsmith or an authorized Product Service Center only.

...probably why you're not getting more response. Apparently, any disassembly voids the factory warranty. Would love to be of some actual help, but I don't have one of these. I'm sure one of our other 464 owners will be along to offer some assistance...

It says in the manual it voids the warranty, however, there is a larger screw on the left side of the receiver. Larger than the others. If you remove this screw, you can work the bolt back slightly and you will see a metal pin. You have to carefully drift that pin out from left to right and that will release the bolt IIRC. It is the same design as the old Winchester 94s.

The first night I had mine, Dad and I were examining it and trying to clean some assembly lube out of the action. Dad brought out his gunsmithing book on the old 94s and we looked it over and discovered this. I did not remove my bolt, I simply wiped it out and oiled everything with a little teflon lubricant.

I know this is an old post, but it sometimes it takes me a while to wakeup. This procedure is for people who are going to take their 464 apart anyway. I am just trying to help them...

This is a caution: do this procedure only if you're mechanically inclined preferably with experience disassembling firearms, do it where you stand a chance of finding any dropped parts, pay attention to what you're doing, taking pictures with your phone as you proceed is a good idea, if you can't get it apart you're doing something wrong, both pins are an easy fit, if you can't get it together you're doing something wrong, don't pound on anything, don't over tighten anything.

The bolt on my 464 SPX is actually very easy to remove, 2 screws and their associated pins and that's it. On the left side of the receiver there is what looks like a large screw, unscrew it and you find out that it's just a plug. Keep the Lever closed almost all the way and turn the rifle over and put a small punch or screw driver into the little, open hole and gently tap the pin out. The pin will come out via the the hole on the left side. This will disconnect the lever from the Bolt. Then remove the screw at the forward end of what Mossberg calls the Link. The Link is the piece that the fore end of the Lever goes into. Once the screw is out, using a punch and small hammer tap out the pin. The Lever will come loose, and by operating the Lever you can move it around and disengage the back end of the Link from the Locking Bolt and remove the Lever and Link as an assembly. Make sure the Locking Bolt is low in the receiver, and holding the hammer down, slide the Bolt rearward and out of the receiver. Note that the Firing Pin is loose and will drop out of the Bolt if given a chance. The Firing Pin is not symmetrical and must be oriented correctly in the Bolt. If you look at the back of the bolt, just make sure the angle on the back of the Firing Pin matches the angle on the back of the Bolt, or look at the underside of the bolt, into the slot that the Lever fits into, and turn the firing pin until it looks like the Lever will fit.

To put it together, put the firing pin into the bolt, making sure it's oriented correctly. Make sure the Locking Bolt is low in the receiver and holding the hammer down, fit the Bolt into the back of the receiver. The angle on the rear of the bolt faces down since that's what gives the hammer a ramp to ride up on to cock it. Turn the receiver over and put the front of the Lever through the slot in the Carrier, then moving the Link around engage the rear of it with the Locking bolt. Put the pin through the receiver and through the front of the Lever. Close the lever most of the way, and push the Link up into place. If you look through the hole where you removed the plug screw you'll be able to see the holes in the Bolt and the Lever and when they are aligned. Put the pin in the hole, smooth end in first and gently tap it in.

Hold the rifle and gently cycle the Lever making sure there are no problems. Finally put in the plug screw and the screw that retains the pin at the fore end of the lever.

That's it. Once you've done it a few times you can have it out and back together in a few minutes...

Thanks Andrew, I think just for right now I will just print out what you wrote and carefully do this step by step. I am a mechanically inclined engineer and was worried I was doing something wrong. Thanks for the reply post.

I just wanted to offer a video I just did of how to disassemble and reassemble the 464 on youtube. This post is actually what prompted me to create this video because this was the ONLY information out there about how to go about doing this and I always prefer to have visual aid when doing something like this so I hope this can help someone out there like me!!

Here's the link

Or you can just type in "How to disassemble a Mossberg 464" and it's by tommydreamer70 - There may be an issue with trying to view it on your phone so just use an actual computer if you're checking it out.

Hope this helps!

Back