• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Everyone writing letters?

TerryD

I was just wondering. I see alot of banter on forums and hear alot around work, but hardly anyone is writing any letters to our representatives. The only way we can beat the gun-grabbing hoard is to fight their fight. We have to be loud, whiny and a general thorn in the side of the elected official. We have sat back on our haunches for too many years, saying "It'll never happen..." and "They wouldn't do that..." But it's happening right now. We need to be bothering them, letting them know we do not support these measures. Making ourselves heard! Not simply sitting by saying "The NRA is fighting this for us."

Use logic, use kind words, be mature. Use statistics that are verifiable, site them even. Chicago should be a good starting point! I don't want my kids growing up in a country where defending yourself is looked down on, and I'm sure you don't either :!:

I haven't. Yet! The reason I have been waiting is because of the Fiscal Cliff deal they are beating the hell out of each other about. Their attention is only on one thing right now. But when they do move to start talking about the "new" weapons bill in whatever form it takes, I assure you I will be writing to several of my legislators...

Paul

I wrote my reps but it's an effort in futility. My Congresman and Senators are anti-gun and nothing I have to say will affect their decision.

I have been spending my time trying to talk to people and get them on our side. There are a lot of Dems out there that own guns who are not in support of this, and a lot of gun owners that do not think it affects them. Many are quick to change their mind when they realize their beloved deer rifle, heirloom from dad/grandpa or their weekend plinker could be a target of a ban.

Many people don't want to hear it and many don't care but the more we can wake up the better.

There is no harm in it that for sure. Whether it doesn’t hit the deleted items box as soon as its half way read, that’s another story. Do you folks actually think they even read them all through, let alone put into consideration the things people write them about everyday? I work in little old state gov…..I know some fed gov….they tell funny stories.

I really encourage you to write letters, especially if it makes you feel like you’re making a difference…..Federal Government doesn’t work, its broke in more ways than one. The people you want to reach never see your letters…..not since they could make a canned cover letter that the secretaries can send out in mass ”Thank you for your concern and interest in your government, we know these issues…….”

I've written them for years.

Decades even.

And actually, having wrote basically the same letter every year (or sometimes a few times a year), I have a generic cover letter of my own.

I've mailed letters to all the Federal level reps here in the People Republik of Illinois. I've also written letters and made several phone calls regarding the upcoming CCW legislation in Illinois that the Cook County crooks have no choice but to approve......unless SCOTUS overrules the Federal Appelate court decision. :)

This is the one I have been sending out....
==============================================================

The man who stood and slaughtered innocent children face-to-face is now being described as "disturbed" and "mentally ill," and while I'll not deny that he was all those things, I submit to you that such a vile act could have only been hatched and orchestrated from the very pits of hell itself.

Of course the well meaning but naive people who believe the problem lies in the private ownership of firearms are out there beating the drum, while those whose purposes are not as noble are leading the way and self-serving politicians are coming out of the woodwork just itching to pass another meaningless piece of feel-good legislation that will mean about as much to illegal gun owners as the ones on the books now.

Our problem is not a lack of gun laws; we have enough now to paper the south wall of the Grand Canyon, we just need to enforce them.

How about we start at the top by forcing Eric Holder to tell the truth about Fast and Furious.

How about we bust the people who deal guns out of the trunk of their cars on inner city street corners?

How about the Obama administration setting an example about how it should be done by cleaning up his "hometown" of Chicago, a city with some of the toughest gun laws in the nation and one of the highest murder rates. Where law-abiding citizens can't buy a handgun for protection, but street thugs have no problem at all.

I will be the first to admit that, like in every other business, there are unscrupulous gun dealers who do things they know are wrong and put guns in the hands of people who will either use them offensively or sell them to others who will.

They should be identified and put out of business, period.

I am aware there are areas that need cleaning up, but another un-enforced law is not going to make any difference.

With the greatest of respect and deference I would like to address those who think that doing away with the private ownership of guns is the answer to our problems.

The people who are causing the most problems did not obtain their firearms by legal means. They were bought off the thriving black market after being stolen or otherwise illegally obtained for resale.

Selling guns on the street is a felony already, how much more illegal can you make it?

Will another law or gaggle of laws stop illicit gun trafficking?

Have they stopped illicit heroin trafficking?

Have they even stopped human trafficking?

The truth of the matter is that a law is no more potent that the will to enforce it, and as long as the courts continue turning violent criminals back out on the street, as long as parole boards take only a cursory look at the mental health of the parolees, as long as we continue to tie the hands of the men and women who stand between us and the jungle and try to tell them how to do a job so dangerous that we can't possibly comprehend it or the split second decisions between life and death they have to make on a regular basis, we will continue our descent into chaos.

We've got to somehow get past the cosmetic, "look at us, aren't we wonderful” superficial and meaningless media-happy flaccid efforts and do something fruitful.

Does anybody really believe that the gun buy backs do anything except get the Saturday night specials and other junk off the street and make a down payment on a more sophisticated illegal weapon.

Politicians can pass laws from now until the end of time and if they're not applied and enforced to take the people who are actually doing the killing out of society, it will make absolutely no difference.

The first thing I was taught about guns was safety and responsibility. I have never shot anything with them but animals and targets, and I am in the vast majority of legal gun owners.

Gun owners like me are not the problem and taking our guns away will not reduce gun crime, but increase it, as criminals realize they're the only game in town and rob businesses and invade homes at will.

Why do you think they pick schools and other vulnerable places to start with? They know nobody can shoot back at them.

Think about it, (INSERT NAME HERE). We need to back off, cool off and make some rational decisions and soon, before our constitutional rights fall into the hands of an unpredictable Supreme Court that seems to be more concerned with the legacy of the court than the welfare of the American people.

Sincerely,
XXXXXX

===========================================================================

;)

Sig line worthy

Will another law or gaggle of laws stop illicit gun trafficking?

Have they stopped illicit heroin trafficking?

Have they even stopped human trafficking?

The truth of the matter is that a law is no more potent than the will to enforce it, and as long as the courts continue turning violent criminals back out on the street, as long as parole boards take only a cursory look at the mental health of the parolees, as long as we continue to tie the hands of the men and women who stand between us and the jungle and try to tell them how to do a job so dangerous that we can't possibly comprehend it or the split second decisions between life and death they have to make on a regular basis, we will continue our descent into chaos.

Yeah, really good letter Ripjack!

I have been waiting until New Year's is over and will begin the letters this week. I wanted to send them after they got back because they have a shorter attention span than a boy in a toy store.

I got this Nugent letter to Joe Biden from CCDL FB page...

=====================================================

NUGENT: Open letter to Joe Biden on guns

‘Gun control’ won’t save lives

Joe,

Congratulations on your appointment to lead a presidential commission to end gun-related violence.

As a National Rifle Association board member, husband, father, grandfather, law enforcement officer and genuinely concerned American, I too want nothing more than to see evil, senseless massacres stopped. I concur with the president and caring people everywhere: It’s time to end these slaughters.

As you gather your team to study massacres and how to stop them, I offer to you my services and a lifetime of expertise on guns in all their implementations. While I strongly differ with President Obama on many issues, I agree with him that we must work with all we can possibly muster to end these tragedies.

As you begin to formulate your thoughts on how to proceed with your task, I hope your starting point is to provide the president with the facts regarding these slaughters and to offer him common-sense recommendations that are void of a political agenda and will actually make a meaningful difference. If the American people smell a political agenda here, that will only bog down our efforts.

In the spirit of goodwill and a deep desire to end gut-wrenching, incredibly sad and senseless rampages, I offer you the following recommendations:

I encourage you to persuade the president to lead this effort by providing a number of public service announcements. The announcements should include watching out for each other, encouraging parents to be more involved in their children’s lives regarding entertainment choices, and knowing various indicators we should watch for in people who are unstable.

Clearly, the focus on solving these mass murders must be on the mentally ill. In almost every instance of mass killing, there were ample red flags and warning alarms that either were avoided or were not acted upon by mental health professionals, family members, friends and acquaintances. While I deeply respect an individual’s privacy and civil liberties, the American people need basic awareness of what indicators to look for regarding potentially violent, psychotic people. Our collective safety begins with being collectively vigilant.

You will find in your assessment that all of the massacres have occurred in gun-free zones. What gun-free zones create is an environment where good people are unarmed and virtually defenseless against an unstable person intent on committing mass murder. Gun-free zones are modern killing fields. I implore you to recommend that Congress pass a law to ban gun-free zones immediately.

Just like your full-time, armed security detail, qualified citizens with authorized, legal concealed-carry permits should be able to carry weapons virtually everywhere to protect themselves, their loved ones and innocents.

I also implore you to strongly consider recommending that trained school officials have access to weapons to protect students. Just as airline pilots may have access to a weapon to prevent another Sept. 11 mass murder, school officials also should be trained to stop shooting sprees at our schools.

I don’t encourage you to recommend a ban on any weapon, magazine capacity or type of ammunition. That won’t accomplish anything other than prevent the 99.9 percent of responsible, law-abiding Americans from enjoying these modern weapons as we do now. We should never recommend or develop public policy that restricts the rights of the good guys based upon what evil people do or might do. If that were the case, alcohol still would be banned. As you may know, drunk drivers kill an estimated 12,000 Americans each year and hurt tens of thousands more.

I encourage you also to keep this misnamed “gun violence” in perspective. While all deaths are tragic, the vast majority of gun-related murders and violence are committed by gang members who do not use guns that look like — but do not perform like — military assault weapons. The majority of crimes that involve a firearm are committed with handguns. I concurred with you back in 2008 when you stated, “If [Mr. Obama] tries to fool with my Beretta, he’s got a problem.” I trust you still maintain those sentiments.

Again, I offer you my services and a lifetime of expertise. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Ted Nugent

http://www.guns.com/2013/01/02/ted-nuge ... n-on-guns/

Back