• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Coyote Hunting

Re: coyotes hunting

Thats some crazy footage. I'm planning on doin some coyote hunting this year. I kinda want to tan the hides if I get some. It sounds like a lot of fun to hunt them so I figure I'll give it a shot.

Im actually getting my permit this week. They are all over where I live......

Well, after reading the post here today, my hunting partner and I have come to the conclusion that Coyote hunting is just considered shooting a pest and we will start to actively do it as soon as we can plan it. I'm still not thrilled over killing something just for the sake of killing. It just doesn't feel right. And we don't really think for a second that we can actually make a dent in the population since they can have 12 pups per litter. But who knows? Maybe. Maybe we can help the Deer, Turkeys and Quail in the areas that we actively hunt when the season is open. Heck, they have enough stress on them already with fires, droughts and pigs eating their food.

The plus side is we figure that if you can shoot a coyote at 200 yards or even more, then deer hunting will be a cake walk. Keep our skills sharp with the weapons we would normally use for big game, get out of the house for some well needed expercise and help get rid of a pest. Why not? Amazingly it's one of the few species that California allows electronic game calls. Bobcat is the other. I love hunting and being outdoors. If I can extend my season and hone my skills during off season, and if the great state of liberalism aka California thinks its OK then why not.

Paul

I've never been to keen on shooting something I had no intention of eating but coyotes I've started to make an exception for. They have become so prolific and troublesome that I no longer feel guilt in controlling their populations.

You might be able to sell the pelts, tails and skulls boiled off. Or if you want I could give you the addy of a friend in California who makes art out the bones. Very cool looking stuff too. I sent her my 2 turkey heads n feet and shes in the process of mumifying them.....

Depressing because that would have been an EXCELLENT one this fall but Great Catch on the cam!

ripjack13 said:
You might be able to sell the pelts, tails and skulls boiled off. Or if you want I could give you the addy of a friend in California who makes art out the bones. Very cool looking stuff too. I sent her my 2 turkey heads n feet and shes in the process of mumifying them.....

Translation = rip knows a voodoo priestess

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
ripjack13 said:

HAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
ripjack13 said:

Ha!! That's a funny right thar. ;)

mmrhunter and yotes in virginia

:D Man i lucked out fri night , called in some dogs at 110 to 150 yds, i shot the first one,it shook and ran , then fell over, after the shot the 2nd one ran i missed on the 2nd shot, but i struck home on the 3rd shot, it ran in a circle 2 times then was pawing the ground. the mmr hunter is an asset to my shooting :D problem yotes here.

Thanks Mossberg, Hayman.

Re: mmrhunter and yotes in virginia

hayman said:
:D Man i lucked out fri night , called in some dogs at 110 to 150 yds, i shot the first one,it shook and ran , then fell over, after the shot the 2nd one ran i missed on the 2nd shot, but i struck home on the 3rd shot, it ran in a circle 2 times then was pawing the ground. the mmr hunter is an asset to my shooting :D problem yotes here.

Thanks Mossberg, Hayman.

Its good to hear you are putting your MMR hunter to work! Be sure to post up some pictures!

DHonovich said:
hayman said:

Thanks Mossberg, Hayman.

Its good to hear you are putting your MMR hunter to work! Be sure to post up some pictures!

We are getting to have a lot more coyote's here as well. Nice to get a double though. I've never been able to pull that off.

John A. said:
Good deal.

We are getting to have a lot more coyote's here as well. Nice to get a double though. I've never been able to pull that off.

John, i have done this only once in my lifetime, friday was the second, my first double was shooting fox, two came down a pipeline rightaway, i shot and nailed it with a t/c 22-250 single shot, the other fox turned and looked at the downed one then sat on its hind legs, here i am fumbleing to put the 2nd bullet in,finally got it closed up put rifle across hood of my truck, it never moved untill the 2nd round was fired,it never moved then either it flopped over. i felt as if i couldnt stand on my feet after that, i was shakeing uncontrobly. i had the same shakes again friday night.

Thanks,Hayman

Hey all, I forgot to tell everyone I'm going coyote hunting! I'm actually leaving within the hour, and I'll be gone until sunday. So if anyone on MO is going to miss me, I'm sorry, but I won't have internet until I get back and I'm sure ya'll will survive. Maybe I'll come back with some pics of me and some dead things!

Good luck. I hope to see some pics of stuff, even if it's just guns. LOL

Back