• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

loaded up some 9

Will do. There is a lot of talent in the region. I'm one season in and just being in the peleton is an achievement in itself.

Might I say, that looks like a professional picture taken for B-VAC or Eagle for a website :p
How did you find out what length those Jacketed bullets needed to be?

Published data lists lengths but to get custom length I took a case fired from my gun , coaxed a bullet in the case mouth to where the bullet is barely held by the case mouth .
I then slid the dummy cartridge into the chamber of the CZ. I continued to push until the bullet was resting on the rifling at the end of the chamber. I them pushed the brass the rest if the way into the chamber ,sliding it up the bullet until the case moth came to rest on the chamber edge , where a rimless cartridge comes to a stop I then removed the dummy cartridge and measured it.
I take that measurement and subtract a couple of thousands of an inch for my final OAL.....I subtract a couple or 4 thousands so the finished bullets are not resting directly on the lands (riffling)......

make since ?

Oh! Okay, my Grandfather has something from Hornady that does this process. I think it is OAL Tool. Funny looking thing to say the least, has threading in the bottom of a modified case (caliber specific) and does that same thing. I read somewhere about doing this when I was going to reload .308 but I sold it haha

I filled in the rest of a gift card with some of these.
Hornady 9mm 124g XTP….anyone loading these ? How did you like them ?

IMG_1164.jpg

Dave, would you crack open your Hornady book for me at your convenience ?
I have some Blue Dot, AA #9, AA#5, Bullseye and I think we have a little Power pistol…thanks man :!:

Sure! Wait just a few..... I have some of the same bullets I think, maybe a box of 100. Nice Photo, Bro!

Of the powders you listed, the Hornady Manual only lists Blue Dot with the 124-gr XTP.

COAL 1.060"
900 950 1000 1050 1100
4.8 5.2 5.7 6.1 6.6

and Power Pistol

900 950 1000 1050 1100
4.3 4.7 5.0 5.3 5.7

My Sierra manual, using the very similar jacketed hollow point #8125

AA#9 COAL 1.075"
900 950 1000 1050
7.4 8.2 9.0 9.8

AA#5 COAL 1.075"
900 950 1000 1050 1100 1150
5.1 5.3 5.5 5.6 5.8 6.0

Bullseye COAL 1.075"
900 950 1000 1050
3.5 3.8 4.1 4.4

Power Pistol
900 950 1000 1050 1100
4.7 5.0 5.2 5.5 5.7

Thank You !......I wish I knew all there was to know about powder. Have you used Bullseye much ?

Most of my Bullseye use has been with target .38-Spl wadcutter ammo at 650-fps like the old NRA Bullseye load, but when I made up some standard pressure 9mm with FMJs 124s and Bullseye it worked quite well for general plinking. I've been more inclined to load most everything toward the higher ends and don't usually make powder-puff loads. I have bought exactly one 1-lb bottle of Bullseye in my life and it is still half full. At 2.8-grains per cartridge for the thirty-eight wadcutters it lasts a helluva long time!

My fave 9mm powders are AA7 and Unique but I know that WSF and Silhouette are super great as well.

Accurate #5 is the sperical (ball) equivalent to Unique (flake) on the burn rate chart and is a really good one to try!

#5 is so fine. I got it for a couple 12 gauge slug loads I wanted to try. Didn’t like it for that, It recoiled like hell and that’s fine I guess but it was tied with HS6 for worst accuracy.
I haven’t tried it at all for metallic loading yet. Looks like it will meter good for metallic, sucked for the MEC

I like loading for the upper end too....but my grandpa would make light 38 WC loads that were a blast to shoot all day and all kinds of accurate.

Here are the 9mm 124 gr round nose FMJ from Everglades Ammo and Reloading. $65 for 500 to your door is an excellent bargain, cheaper then plated !

IMG_1189_zps83686f5b.jpg

If anyone has a load for 124 grain FMJ I’d like to hear it

Well, I don’t really want to get into doing that. Besides all the rules and money on shipping ammo, I would hate it if I somehow messed up a charge and someone besides me got hurt from it. I hope you understand .......

I do understand. Im wondering what you would charge for say 500-1000 ends. I'd be willing to make the drive to the line for delivery and payment.

Well I loaded up some 9mm Saturday…..found data for AA#9 in the Speer book so I loaded some 124 gr FMJ to the low end of the data…….then for the last couple days I kept reading AA#9 sucks for 9mm Luger.

So today I went out and much to my surprise touched bullet holes with them at 10 yards through the CZ.

They were stout as hell, accurate as hell and I loved them. The only thing I can say is they may be a little dirtier than AA#5…..but that could be attributed to an entire 10 grains of AA#9 trying to be burned.

I shot it against a magazine of 124 gr Fiocchi and I printed better with my AA#9 reloads.

Anyway I know a couple folks here like the Accurate Arms powder as do I and wanted to report this as a positive experience and I will be loading some more of it…..at least through the 5 inch CZ barrel they were as nice as anything I have put through it.

Sounds like you're pretty danged happy with your 9mm, both the gun (well, duh) and the ammo.

Great report, man!

mingaa said:
Will do. There is a lot of talent in the region. I'm one season in and just being in the peleton is an achievement in itself.
Last 2 matches I finished 5th then 3rd unclassified so Sat. Is a Classifier event and I'm in. My current scores put me mid-marksman. Been reviewing the IDPA standard - tuning up and hoping to place well. I'll try and post Sunday.

Back