• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

The most useful knot you'll ever learn

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I wanted to share a knot with you that my Dad taught me years ago. It's simple and very versatile and can be used to tie stuff down with, to help pitch a makeshift tent, etc.

Since I'm a hands on kinda guy, I wanted to show you one thing (of a million) that you can use this knot for and basically show you how I make my own *REUSABLE* trot lines using it.

I have no idea what the knot is called, but it's as simple as any knot I know, and won't come untied. The string/twine/rope itself will break before the knot itself fails.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUkJ9z7DsY[/youtube]

And yes, it does work ;)

catfishin.jpg

sammich006.jpg

Nice John,

I've done a lot of fishing and the right knot makes all the difference. The "improved clinch" is my go-to knot with smaller line for rod 'n reel or a hand line...

Bookmarked to teach myself later! Thanks for the share! I carry a lot of 550 cord with me at work and this knot could help me out next time I need to tie something down for sure! The shoelace method doesn't always work haha

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nice John,

I've done a lot of fishing and the right knot makes all the difference. The "improved clinch" is my go-to knot with smaller line for rod 'n reel or a hand line...

thats the only knot I know how to tie for fishing lol

thanks for the vid John

I've been tying my hooks and leaders on with that know for as long as I can remember.

John, that's awesome! I use the same knot on a linefor cinching equipment and or tyin loads down to my truck!

I noticed the familiar sounds of birds in the background as well as you havin a teen it looks like with the all too familiar head phones stuck to the ears! :D

That's a basic overhand knot plenty of uses for it. For tying hooks I learned the polymer knot works best for me, I've lost a lot of lures with the improved clinch knot.

Thanks geardog.

I should've known someone would know what the knot was called.

I actually use that knot to tie on my lures too.

If you double the line and stick it through the eye of the lure/bait, and make a big enough loop to let the bait come through the loop and rest in the palm of your hand, then hold the lure in the palm of your hand while you pull the string going up to the rod, tightening it down.

It sounds more difficult and time consuming than it is, but is probably about as quick as the improved cinch knot for me.

Or, if you're really lazy, or are a high speed operator in tournaments, you just have to tie one of these on the end of your line using the knot before leaving home, and just use a snap when you want to change lures. ;)

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-C ... duct/7821/

I know 5 knots that I can choose from in any situation: square, bowline, figure 8, taut-line hitch, and the improved clinch. I learned the first four in scouts and the fifth from my dad when he taught me how to tie a lure (one addition to the instructions: if you're using fishing line, wet down the line before cinching it down to improve the hold). Everyone should know these knots.

A knot I use regularly is a surgeons knot for tying leader lines to fly line. (different sized lines).
On larger lines, I find a monkey fist to be quite helpful. either for throwing the line or as a stopper at the end of a line.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nice John,

Absolutely, we fish a lot and this knot is invaluable, the only other knot I would say is a must is a simple slip knot.
+1 :D

I use this one almost exclusively. When fishing tournaments in S FL this one was the fastest and quickest knot I could find. Just make sure you "moisten" the line before pulling tight...

Attachments

• palomar-knot.jpg
    palomar-knot.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 56
Back