• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

THE TRUTH ABOUT TACTICAL STOCKS

volkoff

Copper BB
Hello all, I am new to the forum and new to the shotgun world. I shot clays for a couple hours about 18 years ago and that was my shotgun experience. I since (in the last two years) fell in love with pistols, so I picked up the awesome polished stainless steel CZ-75B in 9mm, and a Sig Trailside 22.
Now onto my gripe and the reason for the post. I was looking to pick up a tactical 12 ga for home defense, and really like the look of the tactical recoil reducing stocks on the shotgun. Come on guys you know that the look is the main reason to put a tactical stock on a shotgun. The more I read the more pissed I got. Everywhere I looked I read it's to difficult to release the for-end, the release is out of reach with the pistol grip. The other big one is the Mossberg top mount safety is not easy to access with the tactical type stocks. I wonder if these people ever even held the gun and tried this. I picked up a 18-1/2" 500, Ati collapsible stock and I have to tell you it has the most comfortable and natural feel. The stock plastic stock was nice and yes the safety was right at your thumb but so what. You have two arms and two hands (my apologies if you do not) so use both. If you are getting your gun out in your home and it's loaded you are either showing to your buddy (safety better be on) or there is a crack head in your house (safety off). The motion of picking the gun up with the grip, swiping forward the safety button to the kill mode as you are placing your hand on the for-end is a very natural motion. As far as the for-end release, I have small hands and the Ati grip is quite large (and very comfortable) and the freaking release is right next to my thumb. Strange how that works. Very easy and again a natural feeling to activate.
So in closing, if you are considering a shotgun with the tactical stock and have read the same crap I did, you can now rest easy and the next decision to make is which brand stock to get. You should go to a local gun shop and play with the safety and the release and see for yourself how good it feels. Thank you all, I love my Mossberg 500, I'll post a pic later today as I think you all will love it too.

I agree they look great, and a number of people never have any problems with the adjustable stocks.

Personally I don't like them on Mossbergs, but I'm certainly not gonna fault you if you do. I know with practice and through repition the motor skills required to function the mechanics will quickly become second nature. I don't care too much for a learning curve, but it can be overcome... Bottom line is if it works for you, and you can function the firearm like findin your way to the toilet in the middle of the night, then its totally cool and what's my opinion worth anyhow? ;)

Congrats on the firearm man, lookin forward to seein it!

Welcome. I suggest you take an hour out of your day and check out the home defense shotgun video in this forum. It will give you more perspective on what you may or may not want and some additional considerations.

Welcome to the forum! I too have smaller frame hands and the ATI stock is dead on perfect fit for me. You are correct that the slide release is right near the tip of the right thumb, just wish it had a little ear sticking off it to make engagement a little easier... anyone know if a way to mod this? Is there one already available somewhere?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I don't know bout a mod for the action slide release, but there are aftermarket safties available intended for use with pistol grip stock on OFM shotguns. The one I'm thinkin of does have "ears" that stick out to the sides so that while the firearm is mounted to your shoulder, you can still access it with your thumb.

I'll agree the video is worth watchin, it isn't necessarily intended to change your mind, but to give you some considerations, things to think about. Its rather well done.

It's funny I saw this, I literally just got home from the range. I went specifically to try out the Blackhawk NRS stock I bought. I'm in no way an expert but my initial reaction is I like the factory stock better. I felt more recoil, the release was very difficult to press. The position just didn't feel natural. Now maybe this brand and design isn't the best but for now I'd vote for the original stock over this one.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357496370.504434.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357496370.504434.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 1,181
I guess for me I don't have years of shotgun experience from hunting or whatever. So I feel that for me the tactical style is very natural. I fully understand there is a totally different position to the gun with the different stocks. Just thought you all would like to see my protectors of the home.
IMG_5734-Copy_zps90ef593c.jpg

IMG_5737-copy_zps0bac05b0.jpg

It seems as though every tactical stock I try feels good to me. I especially like the feel of the combination stock/pistol grip styles. I think it would also make it easier to manipulate with one hand. However, and this is only me, I "fear" the look of the tactical stocks.

My thinking is that if I ever have to use one of my shotguns to defend myself, I may very well be seeing the gun again in a courtroom. While we know it makes the shotgun no more scary/deadly than any regular stock, a jury may not see it that way. They may feel I was just hoping somebody would break into my house so that I could use it. I don't think it's right, but I'd rather be acquitted than merely be right. Take care. Tom Worthington.

I guess I'm not as safe as others. I take the safety off before I start targeting. I have the first generation Knoxx Blackhawk RRS. Only problem was with the safety going back to the safe position after a couple of fires. I stretched the spring for the detent ball and all was fine. I love it.

I'm with the Tac lovers out there. I have one on my 835...couldn't be happier...well..I could be..but that's a totally different topic. ;)

My experiences
Knoxx recoil reducer (over 1000 rd):
PRO, works awesome, looks cool, solid construction ,adjustable LOP, good sling attachment options
CONS: heavy, lots of moving parts for a stock ,questionable cheek weld, not properly lined up for sighting down the top of the receiver/bead, learning curve can be impossible for some people to grasp, they are known as the “cheek slap” crowd

Phoenix Kick Light(200 rd):
PRO: it does work, light, adjustable LOP
CONS: It barely works, kind of light weight construction, owner reports its starting to get “rattley”loose, messes up sighting down the receiver and bead

ATI *mossberg factory* (20rd):
PRO: light , looks cool, adjustable LOP
CONS: cheesy, rattley, lose,thin plastic, intensifies felt recoil due to no drop comb(shims available)

Controls are hampered by the pistol grip stocks but far from impossible to use. After all the time with my Knoxx I tried the Hogue, it won’t be coming off in the foreseeable future

I put a spec ops gen II RRS on mine, and I like it ok. The only issue I have is the slide release is a little difficult to reach over the pistol grip in comparison to the factory pistol grip. I use mine on setting #5 and haven't noticed any cheek slap (maybe that was a gen I issue?) Aiming is different using the reflex sight instead of the bead as well, but that's a different story... I don't know if the stalk itself helps the recoil or the limbsaver pad takes the abuse. I did get the wife to try it, so now she is not as afraid of the 12 gauge as she used to be.

^ Never been slapped by my gen1 SpecOps.

People forget that just because it's a 'recoil reducer' doesn't mean you don't still have to hold onto it...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
^ Never been slapped by my gen1 SpecOps.

People forget that just because it's a 'recoil reducer' doesn't mean you don't still have to hold onto it...

Everyone I've seen complain about it had a gen 1 is why I asked that. I'm happy overall with mine.

Gald you're enjoying you Gen II.

It's good to see they've fixed the problems with the pistol grips snapping off of units from the initial run...

I plan on getting one soon. I'm a fan of the collapsible stock and pistol grip. Ill be looking around for some ideas. I'm left handed so the release won't be a big deal

I am considering purchasing a Phoenix Technologies Kicklite Tactical for our Mossberg 500 as it is the only recoil reducing stock I have found without "cheek slap" complaints in its reviews. I am hoping that the "little" bit of recoil reduction will be enough to keep my wife from getting discouraged.

Nick Burkhardt said:
I am considering purchasing a Phoenix Technologies Kicklite Tactical for our Mossberg 500 as it is the only recoil reducing stock I have found without "cheek slap" complaints in its reviews. I am hoping that the "little" bit of recoil reduction will be enough to keep my wife from getting discouraged.

Depending on your financial situation. I can reccomend the Mesa Tactical Leo adapter, ITT shot shock tube set up. Once you have those 2 things, you can choose any milspec AR style adjustable stock you fancy.

Frank

Back