• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Itsricmo said:
Ladies and Gentlemen I am back for some more Wisdom from the Elders :lol:

Referring too the Rock Island Armory website, they say they have a "High Capacity" .45 and 9mm model. Meaning that the magazine is double stack, correct? Would the 9mm, double stack, be much thicker than the .45 single stack model?

Thanks in Advance for your cooperation with my random questions :)
Rick

Yes it would be a lot thicker, closer to the width of a Beretta 92 or any other double stack frame.

Honestly,

Unless you're shelling out some serious coin on a high dollar performance pistol like STI's 2011 models, I would stay away from a double-stacked "hi-cap" 1911 no matter what caliber. The Achilles heel of these hi-cap 1911s have always been the double-stacked mags which are notorious for feeding issues. The extra rounds don't do you any good if you can't get 'em into the chamber. I'd stick with a standard capacity model and carry an extra mag or two...

Okay, good report! You answered a few of my other questions there too. I was also finding it a bit difficult to find magazines that aren't 1/5 or 2/5 stars :?

Now, are there any issues with a 9mm 1911 over the 45acp 1911, or is the 9 just as reliable as the 45?

My 9mm STI Spartan V has never missed a beat and is every bit as reliable as any of my .45's.

The 9mm 1911s use .38 Super mags and some are modified to better feed the shorter 9mm rounds. The 9mm mags can be a bit harder to find than the .45, but I've never had any issues get'm my hands on the CheckMate mags I use. Here's a post I put together a while back on the mags...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Picked up a half dozen CheckMate 9mm Match magazines for the STI Spartan V 9mm...

SKU: CM9MM-9-S
Finish: Stainless Steel
Rd Capacity: 9rd
Floor Plate: Welded Base
Follower: CMI Patented
Feed Lips: Wadcutter
Spring: 9mm 9rd Spring

9mm 1911 mags are unique in comparison to most other 1911 caliber mags in that they are made from modified .38 super mag tubes. Because .38 super rounds are longer, manufacturers have come up with various means to shorten the inside of the mag tubes to ensure proper bullet seating and reliable feeding of the shorted 9mm rounds. CheckMate welds a spacer bracket into the rear surface of the mag tube that keeps the 9mm rounds seated to the front of the magazine...

The Spartan came with a 9 round stainless Metalform mag. Where CheckMate uses a spacer in the rear of the mag tube to push the rounds forward, Metalform creases the front surface of the mag tube inward to seat the 9mm rounds against the back wall of the magazine. The photo below shows the creased front surface in the Metalform mag compared to the rounded surface of the CheckMate...

Top: CheckMate / Bottom: Metalform

You can clearly see the difference in seating of the first round. In the CheckMate mags the rounds sit further forward and higher up, more level with the feed ramp and chamber. There is less distance to travel for the round to close into battery. Here's a couple more photos illustrating the difference in seating...

Left: CheckMate / Right: Metalform

Left: CheckMate / Right: Metalform

Overall, the CheckMate mags keep the rounds seated more firmly in place. Because of the gap at the front of the mag tube, the Metalform followers allow a bit of downward tilt in the nose of the top round. The upside is that I had zero feed issues from the Metalform mag through the 250 rounds I put through the Spartan last week, but the inconsistency in seating could potentially end up creating feed issues, especially once the mag springs have been loosened up a bit from use...

Sweet! Even better report! haha

MecGear seems to always be in-stock at MidwayUSA and they also have some others readily available. I did notice that you have your rig set up with the 9mm Spartan and that is what prompted me to look into a 9mm 1911. Just trying to get a general idea of the 9mm. Thanks for the input! :D

No problem Sir,

I REALLY enjoy shoot'n the Spartan. Same weight as my other 1911s and it really soaks up the 9mm recoil. Very quick on target and a bit less expensive to shoot overall...

Yeah those are some pluses and it cost the same as the other RIA models I am considering. I really like the Colt "Rail Gun" copy they have in 9mm! Would look great with a light attached on the bottom :D

My 21st is still a few months away, March to be exact, so I have still have time to sort through my options and what not!

EDIT: My father would buy one now and transfer later but he is too weary of Straw Purchase Laws

I know for sure too stay on budget it will be an RIA but I will be stuck between the Basic Model with Novak Sights and the Tactical with the Rail.. There is about a $100 difference but by March some stuff at work could change and I'd have no problem spending the extra...

All In Due Time :) I have been told that "Patience is a Virtue" lol

Yeah I will second that! However, this is a case where I have to wait and if I don't have patience I will spend the money on other items I don't so desire lol

Sorry Joe, I don't personally have one. I have handled Sig 1911's and can attest to their fit and finish. I checked the XO out on the websight. Just like it says, it is all business. Congrats on a fine choice in a 1911.

Here are a couple I picked up over last weekend.
Springfield Armory "Loaded" 1911-A1.
DSC01157_zpsc6783a34.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model SW1911SC "E" series.
DSC01162_zpse7a9889f.jpg

Back