• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Charging Handle Loose

bu11Dawg

Copper BB
I'm brand new to owning a 715T, and brand new to this forum. Bought my rifle over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to take it out and shoot it yet. Upon first impression though, the charging handle seems really loose. There is a bit of wiggle room with it, and I was just wondering if this is normal? Sorry for the newb question, just want to make sure that I didn't get a bad piece of gear.

I believe that's normal. If you're talking about an IN/OUT movement. The handle is pushed in to lock the bolt open. That may give a little wiggle in other directions as well since it's not attached solid. Hope that makes sense and helps.

When it comes to firearms, the only stupid question is the one not asked... Or "Does it shoot real bullets?" Man that kid was wierd...

They have wiggle room in all directions due to it not being attached and its functionality. It needs to have plenty of room so it can be pulled on and pushed left so that it can lock the bolt to the rear, all while not causing severe amounts of erosion to itself or the bolt.

The magazine follower will hold the bolt/chamber open when the magazine is installed and empty (after last shot). Without a magazine the operating handle is used to hold the bolt open to the rear. Pull it back and push it in firmly. To release pull the operating handle out (away from the gun) - you can ease it forward to close the chamber or release it from the rear position to chamber a round from an inserted magazine. The 'play' is a result of it being an active, 2 position 'switch'.

Mine is really loose and it on my recent trip to the range it started locking the bolt open while firing. At first I thought it was a a jam or a fail to eject issue but it just will lock the bolt back. just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if it is related to the loose charging handle.

ranger...i had that issue with my carry handle version...when brand new right out of the box...mossberg had to put in a new trigger housing assembly. they were pretty good that first4 time, but i had to fight with them to get them to pay the shipping...it came back with an extra mag and a flat top shell(sighting in issues)...it had to go back a second time because of fail to eject issues...

The handle on mine is also very loose, if I shake the gun around it rattles. I put 400 rounds through it on saturday with some times the bolt locking half way - but there was always a malfunction/fail to eject etc. (I was trying out different ammo to see what worked best). I just finished cleaning and re-assembly (2nd time) now I think it's worse than before. I am also thinking about sending it back to see if they can make it better.

cndmossy, send it back...read my posts...there is an issue with these guns that mossberg knows how to fix but won't do so until you return the gun for repair...

thanks speedyquad

I just send Canadian customer service a huge email about all the different issues that I've had (charging handle, mag stick, malfunctions and accuracy) and asking how to proceed with warranty work.

they are pretty good about warranty work...mine had to to visit them twice...the first time, i had to twist their arm to pay for shipping to them...the second time i ate that cost...i hope you get yours straightened out and it becomes a firearm you can trust...

Thanks I hope so too. If they grip about shipping for me I'll probably just drive it in (1 hour away from me) since for Canada looks like they just have 2 warranty centers and they aren't shipping them over the border for repairs.

I've got an update. Today I dropped off the 715 at the shop, showed them the handle and they said it was definitely way too loose like you said. They will fix it (probably replace the receiver he said). I was also having trouble with the mag so they will look at that too maybe give me new one.

Another update....

The tech had a look at it, and told me it was totally fine he did not replace any parts just oiled the crap out of the receiver and put 50 rounds of CCI Blazers (lead not copper) through it without issue. I went back to pick up he shot it without issue and got them to replace the 25 round mag (which was sticking) and I bought 2 more 10round metal mags.

Off to the range the next day with my new mags and a big box of the blazers - it worked fine no misfeeds no malfuctions over 200 rounds I figure.

So, as far as function things are working great. Accuracy is total crap though so that's the next thing to work on.

They told me to make sure I use penetrating oil and if possible use a air compressor to really push it to all the nooks and crannies.

Back