• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Carry Handle Modifications

Just don't need it, and doesn't really add anything. Would cutting it off and making this a flat top be a good or bad idea?

Re: Cut off the carry handle?

did u get it yet , if not just get the flat top , there is a youtube video on this someone who cut it

kid's 22 said:
did u get it yet , if not just get the flat top , there is a youtube video on this someone who cut it

Yeah, got mine a few months ago and there wasn't a flat top then.

Rootbrain

The carry handle houses your rear sight, and you're gonna need one of those...

How do you plan on attaching a rail to the top of the receiver once you cut off the carry handle?

more power to ya if you wanna do that...looks like donkey, i wouldn't trust it from not moving, which would move your sights...but...

let us know how it goes....

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
How do you plan on attaching the red dot?

Did it. RDS on the rear of the front quad rail. Bore sighted, cowitness front and RDS. at 25 yds. Off to the range tomorrow to see how it shoots.

EDIT: hated the cowitness so I just cut off the damn front sight, LOL. :p Will be getting folding front for the front quad rail, and a ghost ring for the back (after I add the rail mount for the new "flat")

Still some clean up from the Dremel cuts, but basically a flat top now. Looking at mounting a rail on the new flattop so I can use a 3x9 32 TAC scope I have sitting around. A cheapie for now, but will give me an idea.

Will get some pics, but going to do camo so will do it then. Should have done before, during and after but to lazy. Will post finished product when I get to my happy place :grin:

Rootbrain

That's awesome man!

Lookin forward to your pics and range report...

KentuckyWindage said:
kid's 22 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbbldmPnHdI
Wow I felt sea sick after watching that video
That's to keep you from eyeballing his work ;)

I say as long as you are willing to take the chance and be pleased with the outcome, do it.

Yep, I'm happy so far. Dremmel work needs a little "clean up". just sanding and leveling off a it more. But I've always hated that damn carrying handle, LOL. My Colt AR had the removable one, have wanted this off since purchase.

I also cut off the front sight. Going to get folding front sight and rear ghost for when I want to use irons. The strap on the back is connected to the pin/screw that held the adjustable stock (also gone as you see). Arm goes through the loop and the rifle hangs to my strong side. Raise it up, pushing the rifle forward (like leaning back into the strap). I might get a bit longer strap, this one is a bit short for me at 6'1". We all know recoil and muzzle rise are pretty much non-existent with this thing. Since this will be used 50yds and in mostly for squirrel/rabbit gun, sometimes in heavy brush, and plinking rats at the dump, stock not required for me. The RDS will be the key. Mine is a pretty good $60 (something) RDS (Walther PS-22). Works like a charm on other guns, so if dialed in, should be GTG. Certainly NOT going to put a $400+ Aimpoint or EOTech RDS on a $200 gun.

Here it is, the basic. Will continue along, got 3 of the 25 round mags and use the YouTube on getting them "stable". Haven't been to the range today, might have to put that off a few days, busy the next couple and then snow coming for the next couple.

Attachments

• IMAG0112.jpg
    IMAG0112.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 2,711

Ok here they come. Will post then edit to add them. Took off the strap in the original. Going with something else.

Attachments

• IMAG0109.jpg
    IMAG0109.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 2,697
  • IMAG0111.jpg
    IMAG0111.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 2,691
  • IMAG0113.jpg
    IMAG0113.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,694

A couple more.

You can see by this there are plenty of options for cleaning up the opening for the stock.

Attachments

• IMAG0115.jpg
    IMAG0115.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,673

As you can see it's pretty fuggly still. Covering the hole where the stock can off is first priority, don't want moisture in there.

Found a steel auto freeze plug perfect diameter to go over it but just not deep enough. Will keep looking. When I find one, it will get camo like the rest.

As far as the other holes, pretty simple to take everything apart and fill each "half hole", do the camo and put it back together.

Be another week probably.

EDIT: Got started early. Desert Camo. This is just the rattle can base, will be doing the rest by hand, probably use paint pens, sponges, rags. Couldn't find the exact color I wanted in flat, had to go with satin finish, easy enough to "flatten" the color with some 320 grit sandpaper.

I've also taken off the RDS, put it back on my Colt AR, will be using a 3X9 32mm tac scope with illuminated reticle. This sling is being delivered today: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/473038 ... ylon-black

Rootbrain

Attachments

• IMAG0117.jpg
    IMAG0117.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 2,613
  • IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 2,598
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 2,602
Back