• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Handgun Recommendations and Advice...

I read the size of the 30 and 29 are the same so I was wondering how it was to CC that thickness.

The thickness of my 21 doesn't give me any problems.

The 29 and 30 are the exact width of my 21 at 1.27" just with the shorter frame, but are a still bit larger than the smaller bore sub-compacts which measure in at 1.18" wide. The only difference I see in size related tech specs between the two is the overall height (rear sight to front heel of grip frame), 4.45" for the 29 compared to 4.76" for the 30. Carrying IWB may be a bit tight, but with a decent OWB pancake holster I doubt the width would be too much of an issue...

sound good, and really I think as long as I keep the grip length down I'll be comfortable

Oli, I use an Everyday Holsters IWB to carry both my Glock 30 and 21. Ebay has these for $34.50 with free S&H.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IWB-Holster-Cro ... 35c18c771c
IMG00133-20121112-1016.jpg

IMG00134-20121112-1016.jpg

I use a Blackhawk Instructor's belt and a loose fitting polo shirt or sweatshirt and can hide both very well. However, I am 5'10, 240 so I am not a small guy. I could probably hide a Mossberg 500 Chainsaw with the right clothes. :)
I say get a G29 if you want. As nitesite I am sure will attest, it is a great platform and as you said, you can change it around to meet your needs.

My G29 is a favorite handgun of mine. The slightly shorter barrel only loses about 30-fps from the longer G20 slide length.

Factory 10mm 180-gr Gold Dot chronos around 1200-fps from a G29.

Factory .40S&W 180-gr Gold Dot chronos around 990-fps from a full size G22.

10mm Auto Underwood Ammo and Double Tap goes even faster!

So a shorter G29 is never going to handicap a 10mm shooter even compared against the full size version of a .40S&W shooter. The difference can be as high as 300-fps!!!!

10mm is a hugely versatile cartridge to reload. There are bullet weights from 135-gr all the way up to 200-grainers. The GLOCK can handle anything you want to load within SAAMI specs and never wear out. If you also own a .40S&W the same reloading dies work with both rounds.

And the recoil from a G29 is surprisingly manageable, way less than expected and on par with a G30 .45Auto. I guess it's the grip width and slope, plus the double-coil recoil spring setup that handles the pressure so well. It's more of a rearward push and not an upwards snap.

I carry my G29 in a Safariland 6378 ALS holster off-duty quite a lot and it's a very accurate, controllable and powerful platform. A 3.25" .45ACP comes nowhere near as close in power and performance, and I dare someone to get a .45 JHP to reliably expand from a micro length barrel.

The G29 is a real all-around package.

I'm so glad to know you

I'll see you over in the reloading section. I am just starting to decide whether to buy ammo shoot it and reload it or just buy brass and projo's right from the gate.....considering 800X because I can use it for 00 and slugs too.......

I wish to give some input here. I have been able to put close to 15,000 rounds through my favorite sidearm since 1994. The Daewoo DP-51 9mm is beyond fantastic! The only thing I had to do to make it reliable was put ammo in it. It shoots better than I can and has finally had it's first maintainence. I had to have the extractor tooth recut. It had rounded off after all those rounds. $35 later and it is all good again.
The gunsmith fired it after he did the work and immediately contacted me to see if I would sell it. If you find one at a gun show, BUY IT!

1287734548.jpg

Now, if you are looking for a pocket/deep cover .380, get the IO Hellcat. It is a Keltec/LCP clone, but the trigger is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the LCP! My father has the LCP and we have traded back and forth many times and it is always amazing in the back to backs how much better the Hellcat trigger is. On top of that, the Lasersyte LCP laser is a direct fit. So, for just over $300 you can have a 6+ 1 .380 with a laser! Good stuff!!!

Online Sales

Hello all,

I'm interested in purchasing a FNX 45 in the next month or so and none of the stores around me even think they'll be able to get them in. I see a few going in the price range I'm comfortable with at Gunbroker. I've never done an online purchase and am wondering how "safe" it is. Are the user ratings worth anything? Is there any customer protection? I have an FFL to ship to just curious if anyone has any experience with this type of sale. I'd rather use the lgs but I really want one of these pistols.

Re: Online Sales

I haven’t done Gunbroker but as long as feedback is there it should be ok.
I have done Bud’s and it went smooth.
Make contact with an FFL holder and let them know you want them to make a transfer. For a fee they will receive the firearm for you.
The sender and the receiver must exchange FFL information.
Your FFL holder then contacts you, you go and inspect the firearm. If everything is there and it looks good you accept the transfer get the background check, pay the fee, usually 25 bucks to 40 bucks and get your gun.
If something is wrong you do not accept the transfer and it goes back.

Thanks. That gives me some peace of mind. I didn't realize if there was some issue I wouldn't be stuck with it.

I've ordered a few things off of GB and it has always gone well.

...and yes, the seller feedback is is a good indicator...

Looking for a new pistol.

With Illinois getting CC i want to get my girlfriend a pistol. Looking at 380 or 32. What do y'all recommend? The smaller the better.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

Re: Looking for a new pistol.

Sfd714 said:
With Illinois getting CC i want to get my girlfriend a pistol. Looking at 380 or 32. What do y'all recommend? The smaller the better.

I've got a little Karh P380 and it's BY FAR my favorite micro compact.

Action - Double
Caliber - 380 ACP
Barrel Length - 2.5"
Capacity - 6+1
Sights - Drift Adjustable, Low Profile White Bar-Dot Combat
Weight - 9.97 oz

I have a few others and what I can tell you is that the Kahr handles better and shoots straighter than any of them. Personal opinion is one thing, but the best advice I can give you is to take her out and get her to put ALL of her options in her hands. Being able to fire them before buying is even better, but I understand that isn't always an option. Keep in mind that while these little micro compacts may be great to carry, they are almost all very uncomfortable to shoot. My wife went through three different CC guns before finally settling on the one she likes...

While I have owned 32s, and like shooting them, I would only carry one for protection if I had Glasser Safety Slugs or other prefrag +P loads in it. MagSafe also is effective.

+1 for what LES wrote.
Ask a bunch of gun guys and gals what gun they would recommend and you will get 50 different answers. If we knew what she intended to do with it and how she intended to carry, her experience level and so forth, then we could help you make a better informed decision on what to try. I personally can recommend the .380 ACP Ruger LCP, but it's lack of proper sights make it a belly gun at best. It is, however, a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than a Kahr P380, ($375 vs. $685 MSRP) but you are getting a Kahr, one of the premier gun maker's for that size of pistol. In .32 ACP I can recommend the Beretta Alleycat. It has a tip-up barrel for ease of loading and they can be had with an XS Sights big dot night sight set for less than $400 out the door.
The little belly guns in .32 and .380 are nice, but not what I would recommend for a first pistol, nor a primary CCW. There are very good options in the 9mm class that are not much bigger or more expensive. They do recoil more, but you are getting a much more powerful chambering in a pocket sized gun. I can recommend the Taurus Model 709 (my wife's pistol) and Beretta Nano from personal experience. I paid $375 for my Model 709 and saw the Nano for $440 in a shop over the weekend.
Don't overlook revolvers. The Smith & Wesson J frame has been around for decades and for good reason. It works and works well. While not as powerful as a 9mm, the .38 Special still whoops a .32 or .380 anyday for power. The Taurus Model 85 is another good "pocket gun". I own a S&W Model 042 and a Taurus Model 85 and can vouch for both, with the Model 85 being my favorite. Ruger revolvers are also great and built like tanks. The SP101 is the pick there.
Also don't get stuck on having to buy a new gun. Right now it is a buyer's market on used guns and there are alot out there. People are dumping them like crazy here in Indiana in anticipation of the gun bans that may or may not take place. I have been picking up excellent condition used guns, several of which were as NIB, for 1/2 to 2/3 the original cost. Single stack guns and revolvers are plentiful, because the guns that are selling are high caps.
As LES says, put as many different models in her hands as you can, and shoot as many as you can, then let her choose. I chose my wife's first handgun for her which did not work out well for her. Now she has a single stack 9mm she says is a perfect fit, which will translate into confidence in the gun and herself on the range and in a defensive situation.
Good luck and congrats on you finally getting to exercise your Second Ammendment rights!

First Time Handgun Owner Questions..

Hey guys,
I have a question pertaining to handgun regulations, not sure if anyone can help b/c it is pretty particular to my scenario but I figured Id try you guys out as everyone has been helpful to my other questions.
So I have done a bit of web searching myself and can't find exactly the answer I need.
I am a 20 year old Pennsylvania resident and my birthday will be in this coming April. I know that one must be 21 years of age to legally purchase a handgun, however I was wondering if it was possible to put a gun on lay-away until my birthday. From the little bit of searching I have done I can see that a lot of state's laws vary between which paperwork one must fill out and that business but I havent been able to get an answer about PA.
If not I plan to save my dollar bills by myself, always easier to give someone else the cash before I spend it myself though! :D
I plan on going to my local gun shop and asking this same question and they may be the most help, but I figured I'd pose this to you good fellas first.

Thanks in advance!

B

Back