• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 930 Autoloader Troubleshooting

need some help with a few issues

some of the below issues i found posts to and tried the advice and it didnt work, the other i couldnt find much on.

problem #1:

when i load the mag tube full and then pull the bolt back no round gets let out onto the lifter, i seen a thing on brownells that said to take it out and deburr it, i took it out and stoned all the burrs and sharp corners off, installed it and i still cannot get one to kick out onto the lifter unless i seriously slam the bolt back in a way i would just never do under normal conditions.

problem #2:

some times with loading the mag tube ill get to the 2 or 3ed round and it will act as if its full and will not let me load any more shells not sure whats hanging up inside but something its, i have a choat tube and spring.

problem #3

i have the factory spx extension tube and spring, from what i was told its a 7+1 i can only fit 6 in the tube 1 in the pipe, thats what choat claims but i have read people are getting 7 in the tube 1 in the pipe, i have read some people say their spring is 37" some say 35" should i have 37 or 35 in order to get 7+1 ?

Re: need some help with a few issues

guess no one knows..... i looked in the section on magazine springs... seems my issue is the spring... how ever no one can agree on what size the spring needs to be for the spx. guess i am sol

930_tactical said:
some of the below issues i found posts to and tried the advice and it didnt work, the other i couldnt find much on.

problem #1:

when i load the mag tube full and then pull the bolt back no round gets let out onto the lifter, i seen a thing on brownells that said to take it out and deburr it, i took it out and stoned all the burrs and sharp corners off, installed it and i still cannot get one to kick out onto the lifter unless i seriously slam the bolt back in a way i would just never do under normal conditions.

Have you inspected the shell stopper to make sure it's not loose? There could also be some factory grease or crud behind the shell stopper spring preventing it from fully compressing.

930_tactical said:
problem #2:

some times with loading the mag tube ill get to the 2 or 3ed round and it will act as if its full and will not let me load any more shells not sure whats hanging up inside but something its, i have a choat tube and spring.

Unfortunately, this is common with the factory extensions. The issue can be caused by the extension being threaded on crooked or by a gap on the interior at the junction between the mag tube and extension. Either way, this causes the spring and/or follower to hang up and not allow access to the entire length of the tube. Some members have de-burred their followers with some success, while others have had no luck other than to replace the factory extension.

930_tactical said:
problem #3

i have the factory spx extension tube and spring, from what i was told its a 7+1 i can only fit 6 in the tube 1 in the pipe, thats what choat claims but i have read people are getting 7 in the tube 1 in the pipe, i have read some people say their spring is 37" some say 35" should i have 37 or 35 in order to get 7+1 ?

Check out this thread for what's working for others...

930 Magazine Spring Survey

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
930_tactical said:

problem #1:

Have you inspected the shell stopper to make sure it's not loose? There could also be some factory grease or crud behind the shell stopper spring preventing it from fully compressing.

930_tactical said:
problem #2:

Unfortunately, this is common with the factory extensions. The issue can be caused by the extension being threaded on crooked or by a gap on the interior at the junction between the mag tube and extension. Either way, this causes the spring and/or follower to hang up and not allow access to the entire length of the tube. Some members have de-burred their followers with some success, while others have had no luck other than to replace the factory extension.

930_tactical said:
problem #3

Check out this thread for what's working for others...

930 Magazine Spring Survey

i have had the shell stopper out a few times to deburr it and to put frog lube on the parts so no problems their.

seems my mag tube is bent so hoping choate will replace it ( i bought my choate tube on ebay new )

and it seems my spring is also out of wack and again hoping choate will replace the spring

Nah,

I've heard from a few folks here on the board that they're great folks to deal with and eager to help...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Nah,

I've heard from a few folks here on the board that they're great folks to deal with and eager to help...

well i sure hope so, before i put their tube on my 930 it was a pure machine after the tube it has been such a pain i wanted to take a hack saw and cut the thing in half

I'd remove the bolt carrier group and trigger group and give it a good cleaning.

Very lil oil should go back on these parts after, in fact I'd dry them as much as possible after an oil application. You don't want them getting gummed up with dust n powder with residual oil.

Re: Should I be concerned?

Okay, some good news- the shotgun came back from service on the 2nd, which was actually sooner than expected. So besides lack of communication, I'm happy with the turnaround time.

The gun came back with a new spacer and retention plate kit plus my old one (if anyone needs a certain plate or spacer, let me know, I've got several now... haha). The invoice on the box only mentioned a mag extension tube, and picatinny rail (not sure what was up with that), but it looks like they've also replaced the follower, gas piston assembly and possibly the gas piston spring. It looks black now I think, but I see silver underneath it. They did not change the barrel or the magazine tube, which is still scratched. The barrel does seem to be easier to install, and I don't feel any burrs on the gas piston spring, nor see any new scratches on the mag tube. Good. Barrel still looks cockeyed to me, but Choate extension tube is straight.

Took it to the range, and it still occasionally sticks getting all 7 in the mag tube, but for the most part it's okay. No real difference, as it was doing this before. I tried to shoot mostly high powered ammo, consisting of Winchester/Rem slugs, Remington 00 buck, and Federal High Brass, which it mostly shot fine, but still had a couple of light strike FTF's with the High Brass.

I tried some of the cheaper lower powered Federal/Winchester ammo later in the day, but it's basically the same as before. They would mostly cause FTE problems. I realized it really doesn't like steel hulled shells. Couldn't get anything with steel to cycle reliably, even some ammo rated at 1290 FPS. Not many issues with stuff made with brass. So it seems she's still a very picky eater.

Having said that, slug shots that I did put on paper at 25 yds were pretty accurate, even with high winds in my face, shooting at one time a 4 shot group, off of bags, into 1.5" CTC. Probably put about 80 shots downrange today.

Tonight I cleaned it up again, and after some more googleing, decided to polish the chamber with a brass brush, 0000 steel wool, and a drill. I'll give it a few more shots of tlc and see it I can get it to be less finicky. From then I'll decide if I'll keep it or not.

One question for you all, should the gas piston assembly slide easily all the way out of the housing? This new one slides well through most of it's travel, but gets sticky as I pull it out all the way, where the split rings are making contact with the rear edge of the housing. Is this normal or should I polish out the housing to get the gas piston to pretty much fall out on it's own?

Got to tell everyone about Mossberg's GREAT customer service. I bought a 930 Tactical on December 14th, but had trouble with double feeds from the mag tube. Sent it back, and did not expect quick turn around because of the holidays. To my surprise Fed Ex walked in with my gun today. Went out and put 15 rounds thru it flawlessly. Mossy did not list the exact repairs; so I have a question - can someone explain how the 930 shell stop works? Don’t think I have ever seen a shotgun with a single shell stop.

So I have some good news.

After scouring this forum and many others, I decided to get proactive and start doing everything I could think of to get this thing running better. Nobody answered my question above, but I went ahead and polished the gas piston housing, and for that matter, anything else that I could find where metal is touching metal. Turned out I was wrong about the replacement of the gas piston assembly and spring- they were the same original parts with blue spring. I took apart the piston assembly and did find some crud underneath the rings, and upon re-installation, felt much smoother than before.

The mag tube was still getting jammed after 5 rounds in, so I also dremeled/polsihed the follower's edges, and the inside edge on the Choate extended tube. That didn't totally alleviate the problem, so I began cutting the spring. Got it down to 30 1/4 inches now, and it is feeding better.

I also found a video on youtube which explained some things to me about the 930's feeding habits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdDpYdL_8lE

So I lowered my expectations of reliably cycling birdshot for now, and to be honest, was more concerned about cycling buckshot for HD anway.

Took it out today, and only got 5 rounds in the first time. I ejected one, re-fed it, and for the rest of the day I was able to get all 7 in the tube. Cool. Also, I could feel a difference in the cycling action, and it once again shot the slugs and 00 buck fine. Since it was feeling better, I tried some of the lower power stuff, and was pleased to find it was cycling much better, only had a couple FTE's, even with birdshot!

Progress has been made, thank goodness, and I think with more rounds through it will get even better, so I'm encouraged, and actually had fun with it for the first time. I'm so relieved. I only wish that Mossberg would have had better communication and maybe a little advice (like telling me it may not cycle the low recoil stuff well at first- it's a semi auto, dummy)- it would have saved us both some time and money.

Again sorry for the long post, but I'd like to thank everyone here for putting up with me, and a special shout out to L.E.S. for his encouragement.

That's great Kevin!

Good to see she's runnin better for you. I know it's gotta be frustrating to have to go through all this, but I hope you're up and runnin for good this time. Keep us posted on your progress and enjoy it.

...and thanks for the shout out... :D

I cleaned my 930 again, same issue, bolt will not lock open. Interestingly enough, if i hold the gun upside down or 90 degress to either side it will lock open. It just won't lock upen when right side up.

What a PoS, I wish I hadn't bought it.

Only one month old and 200 shells through it and it needs to go back to Mossberg.

I own about a dozen firearms and none have ever needed a rapair let along needed to go back to the manufacturer.

pusher.JPG

Here is a picture of the pusher asembly that came in my new 930, how the hell did they let this leave the factory.

Has anyone modified the extractor for improved extraction? Fired 50 rounds today, and had three hulls stick in the chamber. Looked like the extractor would ride over the rim without gripping. The extractor is working freely, but looks like it could use a little more angle to hook the rim better. 930 Tactical. Less than 100 rounds thru the gun and it is getting better every time out.

What ammo were you using John?

Light, or underpowered loads are one of the main causes of exraction issues...

Back