• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Re: Finally finished my 500

Thanks, it took a little while but I think I got it right

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Very nice, indeed! Do you like the feel of the AFG2 on the ERGO?
I liked it at first but with Range time found it awkward for my wrist. Definitely a Personal Preference but I like to hear what everyone has to say! :D

Very nice!

I like the feel of the afg especially in conjunction with the light. It seems to make it easier to actuate the light at the angle it puts my hand. The only dislike I have is that I have to have a very firm grip on it or the front of the afg will smack into my finger. Not noticable at first but after a few rounds my finger gets really sore. Now that I am mindful of this it doesn't seem to be an issue. Just a bit of a learning curve to use the afg with a high recoil weapon I guess.

I also just removed the surefire and mount and replaced it with the Inforce wml and so far it seems much better. The light is easier to work with the erfonomic tail switch and the mount is more solid. The surefire rail mount was not holding up very well to the recoil. I will post some updated pics soon. So far the only negative to the new light is the inforce tan is nowhere near the magpul fde color

Same thing happened to me with the AFG2.

If you switch up to the original AFG the extra length prevents contact with your finger...

Nice looking shotty!

Was the Magpul stock a direct slide-on addition to the ATI grip and tube or did it require some alteration?

Don't think I've ever seen anyone swap another stock onto the ATI setup....

They use commercial spec'd tubes, so it shoulda been pretty straight forward...

The ati stock is a commercial spec instead of mil spec tube size. Any commercial spec stock will work with it and you can get the magpul stocks in either size

Nice......That opens up a new realm of possibility for me, since I REALLY like the VLTOR iMod stock but didn't like the idea of having to shell out for a Mesa LEO adapter.

My thoughts exactly on the mesa leo. If you put that stock on put some pics up. It should look amazing

500 turned out nice...love the barrel ports :)

How comfortable are those AFGs?
I just did a tapco foregrip install, and added an magpul afg.

It seems more comfortable without it.

thanks

I like the afg but a lot of people seem to be skeptical of it on a pump

travismate said:
...a lot of people seem to be skeptical of it on a pump...

I don't know if Skeptical would be the right word. A lot of us have tried it and either don't like it because of the angle it leaves your wrist or we love it for the same reason.. Personal Preference! It does add extra leverage I can confirm that! :D With the right setup, like with some hand stops on the side rails of an ERGO forend, you can pump crazy fast without the fear of slipping up!

Another 500 Build...

Newbie to the site here...My family has been thinking a lot lately about home defense and defense while away from home. I have several handguns, rifles and shotguns. Although I have never thought about anything "tactical" there are some great things about it that I find intriguing.

I own two Mossberg's. One was my Grandfathers that he received from Phillips 66 when he retired and the other I received as a gift while in college in the late 80's early 90's.

I'm building the oldest one...my Grandfathers with the 30" barrel. So here we go with the parts list.

• ATI stock, grip, for-end and halo heat shield - On the way.
    Magpul AFG fore grip - On the way.
    Mesa MS3 multi-sling - On the way.
    Ergo Rail hand stop - On the way.
    Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier with 4-1/2" Picatinny Optic Rail 12-Gauge - On the way.
    Bushnell Holosight - Ive had this thing for years but never installed it - Got it.
    Barrel shortening - Yes, or do I buy one with tube for more capacity or buy Vang Comp? Up in the air.
    Vang Comp barrel porting - Up in the air.
    Muzzle Break/Breacher - Up in the air.
So, I have already taken a couple of still photos of the gun an may or may not video the build. Do you guys really wanna see another one?

Anything I missed or advice is most welcome.

~ David

Re: Another 500 Build...

Hi David, welcome to the site. A question, is there no new new Mossbergs in your area ? Your bolting all that stuff on your Grandpa’s retirement gift?......sorry man, hope you consider bolting that stuff on your college present instead.

welcome from NY. not knowing the age of your grandads gun,you should consider what oli mentioned.
one because if its an older receiver it won't be drilled and tapped. secondly it prob.has beautiful wood furniture on it. just a thought. make sure to post some pics. :)

DSteagall said:
Newbie to the site here...My family has been thinking a lot lately about home defense and defense while away from home. I have several handguns, rifles and shotguns. Although I have never thought about anything "tactical" there are some great things about it that I find intriguing.

I own two Mossberg's. One was my Grandfathers that he received from Phillips 66 when he retired and the other I received as a gift while in college in the late 80's early 90's.

I'm building the oldest one...my Grandfathers with the 30" barrel. So here we go with the parts list.

• ATI stock, grip, for-end and halo heat shield - On the way.
    Magpul AFG fore grip - On the way.
    Mesa MS3 multi-sling - On the way.
    Ergo Rail hand stop - On the way.
    Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier with 4-1/2" Picatinny Optic Rail 12-Gauge - On the way.
    Bushnell Holosight - Ive had this thing for years but never installed it - Got it.
    Barrel shortening - Yes, or do I buy one with tube for more capacity or buy Vang Comp? Up in the air.
    Vang Comp barrel porting - Up in the air.
    Muzzle Break/Breacher - Up in the air.
So, I have already taken a couple of still photos of the gun an may or may not video the build. Do you guys really wanna see another one?
Anything I missed or advice is most welcome.

~ David

David,

I am in another opinion from the two previous posts. Use what you have. Now bare in mind, KEEP the Original Stuff so you can put it back. By doing the Mesa Mount, it doesnt sound like you are modifying the original in any way.

With that said, I would purchase another barrel. Leave the 30" the way it is. If you are considering a Vang Comp, they have used barrels for a decent price alread ported and internals done. I just ordered one. They do have limited Stock, and are heading to Vegas this week for Shot Show. I would give them a call if your serious about it. Or get the Breacher Barrel that you are interested in. In my case when I cant make up my mind, I get both....LOL

Do we want to see it/build? Does a Bear Crap in the woods? Hell Yes!

Frank

The only reason I say it is the cost of listed mods will net you a new HD ready Mossberg 500 and you can save your family heirloom from training abuse ,buy the post I since no budget concerns .....unless you plan on just building a cool looking shotgun and propping it up in the corner and not training with it.....anyway neither here nor there, hope you enjoy what you end up with, and again welcome

Back