• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Buck Shot, I'm too Light- 930 SPX

Rotor23

.22LR
Hi. I have a 930 SPX. I put 100 shells through it today. The 7 1/2 bird shot went through fine. I had 15 pellet 00 buck too, and that would fail to feed. I was getting blown back badly (I weight 150 lbs) and I think this was affecting the cycling.
Is there a way for me to stand or hold the shotty to improve the recoil/cycle?
If not, is 4 buck a good alternative for a home defense shell? Is there less recoil?
Thanks.

Hold the shotty with your strong side leg behind you with you knee pretty much locked. The weak side knee should be slightly bent giving you a little bit of a lean.

You need to go back down to the standard 2 3/4” 9 pellet 00 buck loads and try that. You are shooting 3 inch 15 pellet loads and they do have a heavier recoil.

Yeah, I'll agree on the 2 3/4" 00 buck. You can even try a low recoil load like Federal FliteControl or the full power Fed FliteControl is still a lower velocity load than other full power loads like Winchester SuperX.

I'll also agree on the stance. Square your shoulders to your target. Seat the gun inside from your shoulder a little almost over your pec. With your strong hand on the trigger, pull the gun back to you, with your weak side support hand, push forward on the forend. Like mentioned above, your strong side legshould be behind you a little, support side bent some, and you'll lean forward, bending at the waist.

I don't think your weight has as much to do with it. My daughter is about 100 lbs, but was only 90ish when she began shooting my 12 ga guns. A lot of it is in your stance and hold on the gun, and also load choice.

I think it was MikeD that posted this video in another thread but I couldn't find it. Regardless I thought it was really good and should help.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq74aiXn1b4[/youtube]

Good vid, the only thing I do differently is to have my strong side leg back a little.

Thank you everyone. Really, really appreciate the great advice and videos. I'm really impressed by how helpful the community is.

Rotor23,

It's all in the stance. I'm 5'4" 157lbs and I've shot 3" 00 buck 15 pellets just fine.

Big step forward, lock out the back leg, Lean into the weapon, get a good cheek weld.

Practice.

But like others said... 2 3/4 00 buck is more than enough for home defense.

I've had great groups in Hornady TAP and Federal LE Low recoil 00 Buck

Back