• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Are you shooting less, due to current events?

Tom396

.30-06
Because of the current ammunition supply levels, I'm shooting less than I'd like to. Too much trouble to hunt down ammunition and then, if you do find it, you may have to pay through the nose for it. I'm pretty much keeping what I've already squirreled away for a rainy day intact. Hate not shooting, but I'd hate to be short too.

How about you? Are you reloading folks shooting just as much as you always have? Take care. Tom Worthington.

I'm def shootin less, can't restock right now.

I have friends who reload and while the have brass and bullets, they're havin a hard time findin primers and powder for some stuff. Not like they don't 10,000 rounds, but they can't replace it.

I'm shooting about the same but maybe leaning more to the .22 than before. The gun club behind my house is usually dead after deer season but it's busier than ever this year. I assumed it was the political climate and the mild weather.

I am definitely shooting much less! I have been buying small amounts of ammo here and there but it is all stored away as my "inner prepper" thinks I have to have at least 100 rnds of mixed ammo readily available. I Currently have 75 Slugs and roughly (75) 00 Buck (Give or take a few) but that is my prepper stuff lol.. I have a few #8 shot that I could use to shoot some stuff but I even have that stored with my other stuff.

The prices aren't my only deterrent but the fact that some ammo is hard to come by like Winchester 00 Buck. I buy at least 5 boxes of it when I see it because Walmart is ALWAYS out of it!

yes I have been shooting less. It sucks but ammo is hard to find.

Still waiting on my pistol permit application to be approved so I can buy my first handgun here in NY.

Application sent late June 2012

Interview with Police Sept 2012

As of Friday when I spoke to my investigating officer.... probably another 4-6 weeks before I get approval for my license.

Redic waiting time. And as I'm waiting 9mm luger ammo is drying up. Ugh!

Water Monkey, that completely sucks! June of 2012!? That's a %$#@ crime. I didn't know it was that bad in NY. I read where you said NY still had the 94' ban going but even with that I could get a Browning Hi Power 9mm in 5 days and I never had to be interviewed by anyone.

You need to move to PA. Right now I can go into a store and buy a 9mm, be checked and leave with it. Same with a concealed permit...go to the sheriffs office, pay some $$$, get checked and leave with it...one stop shopping. Open carry is legal too without any permission from anyone although not many take advantage of it.

Back on topic, the gun range started at 8:00 this morning and I never saw less than 5 cars at the pistol range all day. The rifle ranges had plenty too.

I live in PA...

I remember going into my local gun shop about 3 days after the shooting in Conneticut occurred. Display cases full, ammo stocked to the ceiling. About a week after that I could tell items were starting to be bought up at a high rate. I went in yesterday and was shocked. Most of the display cases sat empty and the rifle/shotgun racks were also pretty diminished and I heard the owner telling a fella that people literally lined up at his door before opening to purchase the remaining AR rounds that morning. As for me I just need 12 ga target load and it seems that is the only thing the guy has left, in large amounts I might add. So I havent been shooting any less, but I can see the effects for sure.
I have a question, I over heard a couple people saying that manufacturers werent producing guns at a high rate because some were worried about future laws pertaining to clip size, length, etc. so they did not wish to be stuck with them. I figured everyone was just buying out the stores in mass frenzys. Any truth to these rumors though?

carbinemike said:
Water Monkey, that completely sucks! June of 2012!? That's a %$#@ crime. I didn't know it was that bad in NY. I read where you said NY still had the 94' ban going but even with that I could get a Browning Hi Power 9mm in 5 days and I never had to be interviewed by anyone.

You need to move to PA. Right now I can go into a store and buy a 9mm, be checked and leave with it. Same with a concealed permit...go to the sheriffs office, pay some $$$, get checked and leave with it...one stop shopping. Open carry is legal too without any permission from anyone although not many take advantage of it.

Back on topic, the gun range started at 8:00 this morning and I never saw less than 5 cars at the pistol range all day. The rifle ranges had plenty too.

Bro it sucks the fattest hog!

It's actually against the law. Based on existing law I'm supposed to be approved or denied within 6 months from when I hand in my application.... If you do the math... it's past 6 months.

There's a lawsuit against a few counties here because of the waiting period. The county next to me actually has a year and a half wait period.

And I can't get a CCW without cause. Or if I have large amounts of cash on me which has to be proven. The only license I can get is a restricted CCW permit which allows me to carry within my home, to and from the range, and while hunting. I kid you not.

That and all magazines are a 10 round limit unless manufactured prior to 1994. And that's one of the new laws trying to get passed to eliminate that grandfather clause.

Getting pretty bad here.

WaterMonkey, I can't imagine that kind of restriction. Havin to be approved to own a handgun?!!! And in your own home?!

Tom396 said:
How about you? Are you reloading folks shooting just as much as you always have? Take care. Tom Worthington.

Tom, I am shooting more than ever.....especially since I am in the 10mm. Primers are running out places but I have a good amount of each kind other than small pistol primers only about 800 of those. Projectiles are running low places too, but again I am well stocked in components. And its only temporary anyway.....less sheep and noobs reload . Ammo and components will come back around.

I have a question, I over heard a couple people saying that manufacturers werent producing guns at a high rate because some were worried about future laws pertaining to clip size, length, etc. so they did not wish to be stuck with them

They are businesses and want to make money. They are producing as fast as they can. People are just panic buying faster than they can make product. During the '94 ban everything they had in inventory was grand fathered and sold as pre ban. My dad bought a 9mm that normally came with two 13 round mags. His came with one so they could label as many as possible pre ban.

Yes, I have cut down on shooting. Haven't been to a 3 gun match since Oct. Need to make a trip to the local indoor range to practice but the lines there are insane. Even with a yearly membership it is difficult to get a lane.

The vendors at the local monthly gunshow are stocked with ammo but the prices are way up, even for the low-end stuff. Parts and mags are up 300% or more. And so it goes...

Rossignol said:
WaterMonkey, I can't imagine that kind of restriction. Havin to be approved to own a handgun?!!! And in your own home?!

It's the same bulls**t here in CT too. I need to move somewhere else. They denied me cuz of some stupid charge when I was 21....That was 24 years ago. I F**** hate CT.

Back on topic....I have been shootin here n there. No more no less. The day of the SH shooting I went and bought a bunch 12g ammo. Cash..... ;)

Man you guys ! I thought Californians had it bad.....your state makes California look like Oregon LOL.....sucks you guys, if it’s all you have known then I can see "accepting " it. But once you taste freedom, there is no turning back

God Rip....you got denied a pistol, yet there was still a massacre....look like the system is working flawlessly. I would be collecting cans to get the EFF out of there. Those states don’t deserve to have you guys as residence......sorry that pisses me off

oli700 said:
God Rip....you got denied a pistol, yet there was still a massacre....look like the system is working flawlessly. I would be collecting cans to get the EFF out of there. Those states don’t deserve to have you guys as residence......sorry that pisses me off

"Possession of a controlled substance'. It was a roach in my ashtray from some friends that I gave a ride to...wasn't even mine. :roll: But you know how friends are when you're young. I'm not a snitch. So I accepted the "burden" thinking nothing of it. But now in hind sight....it pisses me off too. I can own any long gun I want, but no hand guns... really??!! :x
That's also a reason why Rip's Grips has been put on hold... :?

I'm still in complete shock you can't walk into any LGS and after a 15 min background check (even with a non felony charge) walk out with a handgun!

And you should be pisseed, after all as Oli pointed out, these bogus controls didn't prevent tragedy.

Though the fascists misinterpret thisto mean more control is needed... another topic though.

Back