• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Brand new shell stop problem

mleonardi

Copper BB
Hey Guys!

This is my very first post to this forum, so I'm very new here and also new to shotguns. I bought a 590A1 yesterday from a gun range. I assumed it was oiled so i took it out and put about 50 8-shot rounds though it and then i started to come across a problem. When i would try to engage the forend, a shell would not pop out into the carrier. I called the range and told me to bring it in, so i brought it in and they told me to just oil it because it was bone dry. So i took the receiver apart (with some instruction it was surprisingly easy) and oiled everything. However, when i put it back together and after a function test to see if everything was working properly and it was, I put two dummy rounds into the magazine to see if i was experiencing the same problem and I did. After a closer look, it looks like the cartridge interrupter is keeping the shell from being released into the carrier. It looks a little something like this, except in my situation the forend is fully engaged and the elevator is lowered to catch the shell.

shellin.jpg

Notice the cartridge interrupter against the shell, that is the problem I am experiencing.

I was wondering how to fix this or what is wrong. I don't want to have to fuss with the receiver every time i want to fire it and am hoping it's and easy fix.

Thank you!

Bump, and also after some more examining, i found that the cartridge interrupter, doesnt want to lay flat in the receiver. i have to really work it in there, and when i do get it, its not laying flat. Could the interrupter be too big? I'm not sure whether or not it should lay flat easily or not but from what i have seen in videos it looks like it should just fall into place.

We've had a couple guys experience the same thing, or least similar.

In both cases I believe the problem was a bent cartridge stop. They said it was pretty easy to bend back into form. In the one case it was severe enough it interfered with the action bars.

Mine had this same problem. The Interrupter was ever-so-slightly bent inward and actually popping out of the track infront of the action bars. I just bent it back... problem seemed to be fixed...at least 300rnds later :D

Back