• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Troubleshooting

Re: Newbie Question

Lonerider said:
MyNewShotgun_zps5de16b02.jpg

Will post more when I get my camera fixed! Note: sticker, TDCJ (Texas Department of Criminal Justice) Texas Prison System. Checked with Prison System and it was used by guards who rode horseback supervising road crews! Shot very little!!

Brand new 500 - Unable to load. Follower stuck?

Greetings. I just bought a brand new 500 and was hoping to take it out tomorrow to get acquainted with firing it; however, I bought some 12ga ammo tonight and realized that I am unable to load a single shell into the magazine. The follower won't budge at all. I have removed the wooden dowel, and I have the forend in the foward/locked position.

Admittedly, this is my first gun. Is there something really simple I'm not doing? I wanted to check here first before I take the gun back to the store.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Brand new 500 - Unable to load. Follower stuck?

how did you remove the dowel ?

I can't think of anything that would cause that. Did you get it at a gun store? If so, id take it to them and at least have them look to see if they can come up with anything.

I removed the dowel as instructed in the manual - with the barrel off I shook the gun a few times then grabbed the dowel by the end and pulled it out.

I did buy it from a gun store. I'll try to take it by there today and see what they say about it.

did the o-rings come out on the dowel ? not alot to the guts of the mag tube , I would lean on it a little harder

oli700 said:
did the o-rings come out on the dowel ? not alot to the guts of the mag tube , I would lean on it a little harder

This is what I would suspect! There should be 2 rubber o-rings on the wooden dowel.

Is the Follower visibly canted or crooked? I don't know how that would happen but it is a possibility I presume. If the O-rings aren't the problem and the Follower is properly placed in the tube... I would apply a modest amount of pressure and see if it "breaks free".. maybe some grease or what not got inside and dried up... If all else fails, go back to the business you bought it from and request they take a look at it!

Both O-rings came out with the dowel, and the follower looks completely straight. I guess I'll be making a trip back to the store today.

Thanks for confirming that I wasn't overlooking something completely obvious.

We are all here to help! I hope everything works out and it is something simple!
Keep us up to date when you can!

MossNub,

I had a similar issue with my brand new mossberg 500. The follower wouldnt move, so I gave it a little encouragement. I took the dowl I pulled out of the tube, placed it on the follower, and lightly tapped the end of the dowl with a pair of pliars. Only took a modest tap, and it worked free. I sprayed a little gun oil, and havent had an issue with it since. Could be that easy.

Frank

Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion, that worked perfectly. I put the dowel against the follower and gave it a light tap with a hammer and it loosened right up. I'm glad it ended up being an easy fix.

Good deal, good advice Frank! Thanks for the help!

MossNub said:
Frank,

Thanks for the suggestion, that worked perfectly. I put the dowel against the follower and gave it a light tap with a hammer and it loosened right up. I'm glad it ended up being an easy fix.

Glad it worked out for you!

Frank

Reading in several places that an after market CNC aluminum or polymer follower may be a good idea.

Any thoughts about this?

Wouldn't hurt.

Although, a good de-burr and polish on the factory follower will accomplish the same thing...

Mossberg 500 malfunction

I have a Mossberg 500 waterfowl edition. The gun has performed flawlessly all season until last week when it began malfunctioning. I thought it might have something to do with moisture, ice, cold etc. and being dirty, but even after a full teardown, clean, and lube it is still acting up. It will work fine at first, but as the day wears on it begins to malfunction. What happens is the first shot fires fine, I cycle the action to eject the empty (which it does) and reload another shell from the magazine (which it does), but then when I pull the trigger nothing happens. The trigger pulls back, but doesn't fire the shell. I have to cycle the action very hard to get it to eject the second shell (unfired), and then the third shell fires fine. This makes no sense to me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Re: Mossberg 500 malfunction

TravisN,

Did you inspect the trigger group and the bolt when you tore it down?
Guesses;
1). There is an issue with your trigger group. Maybe the hammer is sticking? When you rock it back hard it is freeing it up.
2). There is something fouling your firing pin in your bolt, or your firing pin/spring have an issue. When you eject round #2 is there a dimple from the firing pin on the primer (Ammo issue?)
3). Alignment of barrel to receiver. Is it fully mating up? A gap can cause issues. Make sure your barrel nut is tight.

I would tear it down again, and check areas 1 & 2. May just need a good scrubbing? My guess is that there is debris in the firing pin assembly of the bolt. If there is an issue with the trigger group, you will likely have to send it to Mossberg. If its in the bolt, you could probably fix it your self, or send it in if you are not comfortable with that kind of work.

When you tear it down take some pictures and post them here. Maybe one of us will notice something.

Welcome to MO.

Frank

Back