• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Sighting In Your Mossberg Tactical .22 715T

Re: Newbie-complete fail on sighting a scope

Jeffross1968 said:
old mossy said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlHTGyPhm0

i found this,maybe it'll help you.
have you bore sighted the rifle?

New to this, but can the 715 be bore sighted? I don't see how...

i don't own a 715t. thought the vid could help.

22s are tough to bore sight unless you have a universal - iirc. There's a drop in remote unit but $$$ fwiw . With the 715/702 the old school method of looking through the barrel is not possible. He's on paper and maxed on adjustments so he's really beyond needing either of those techniques.

Ok, so little update. Had a friend help me a bit, though the problem is not completely resolved. He broke out the bore laser and as I had found, the scope was sighting very high and to the right with maxed out adjustments. So...he used a piece of velcro strapping and raised the rear end of the scope. We were able to get the scope zeroed in to the laser. However, when I shot it (as it was getting dark) I was unable to hit a target at 50 yards. That said, at this point, with the settings no longer maxed out, I should be able to, in daylight, get it perfect at 25 yards and go from there. We'll see. I'll update next week after I've worked on it again.

My suggestion is to zero at 25 yards with the iron sights first. Then check with bore laser to verify, then mount the scope.

Rootbrain

If you are on paper you really do not need a bore sight any more (IMHO) - especially one that costs $42 and has 2.5 star reviews. When I bought my 702 I passed on that unit. I have bore sights for other pistols and rifles but I was able to get on paper easily with the 702 (inexpensively as well - a reason many DO buy bore sights, high priced ammo). I shot with the iron sights then zeroed the red dot (then the Simmons scope) to that point. I moved to 50 - then 100 yds where ammo, wind etc will start to influence the 22 round - a little patience and logic is my approach rather than throwing unnecessarily.

So i just got my 715T flat top last week and have been trying to dial it in with the iron sites. while the shot groupings are less than 2 inch, everything is low. I have the rear sight as high as it will go and everything is still about 2 inches low. i have taken the front sights off and reset them with no luck. also tore the gun down, cleaned everything (twice) and still same results. Any ideas what to try next?

how far out are you sighting it? remember, at 100yds, most 22 will drop close to 6". Try sighting to 25 yards, then 50.
As some others have said, I sighted in my iron sites, then sited my dot optics to the same point.

Good luck! :ugeek:

Your front sight pin is adjustable.

It turns clockwise/counter clockwise. Lower the pin to raise your point of impact...

Not sure how i missed that but that fixed the problem though.. thanks

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

It turns clockwise/counter clockwise. Lower the pin to raise your point of impact...

Mine is the handle version and its fixed it has no adjustment. The FT may but the handle version doesnt.

The rear sight does move how ever but you have to adjust it alot to get it set. I filed mine down but im going to replace it with a tru glow type here in a few days.

715Thandlefrontsight_zps66074282.jpg

Today's Range Report

Took the Mossberg 715T Flat Top to the range today.
Shot 200 rounds of CCI Blazers thru it with no problems.
Took about 15 rounds to sight in the 6/30 scope at 50 yards, Shooting group of 3 rounds each for sighting, after the 5th 3 shot group. It was zero in perfectly. The next 185 rounds was a pleasure to shoot.

Now to take it home and give it it's 2nd good cleaning. 1st time was right after I bought it.

Ps. Oh yea. it took about 15 rounds to zero in the red lazer/light combo

target.jpg

My Scope: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160915726668
My Laser/Light Combo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130847190334
My Mossberg 715T Flat Top: viewtopic.php?p=98780#p98780

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Does the gun come with an adjustment tool for the front sight? I double checked my box and theres nothing in there. If its an accessory that needs to be bought separately, can you recommend a place where I can buy one? Thanks!

leadgunner said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Does the gun come with an adjustment tool for the front sight? I double checked my box and theres nothing in there. If its an accessory that needs to be bought separately, can you recommend a place where I can buy one? Thanks!

Somebody here suggested using the eraser portion of a pencil. Tried it once and it works for the first few turns and then you need a new pencil if you need to turn it more.

leadgunner said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Can you post a photo of your front sigh post, looking down on it from the top?

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
leadgunner said:
LAZY EYED SNIPER said:

Can you post a photo of your front sigh post, looking down on it from the top?

Its the rail mount front sight that came with the flat top. brought it to the range and its shooting 1" groups low to the left at 25 yards. I already have the rear sight maxed out high and to the right but im still 2" left and 1" low. below is the photo of the front sight post as you requested:
IMG_3906_zps915fac85.jpg

Back