• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Shotgun Scabbards

Re: shotty scabbard

welcome from NY. you found a great site and a great crew.

Welcome aboard!

The Condor and the two you linked above are essentially the same. The only other manufacturer I know of is Voodoo Tactical, but I have no idea where they're made...

Free Man said:
hi all,

nice site you've got here. been lurkin' a while and've enjoyed it. question for you if you don't mind...

looking at getting a scabbard. looking at VISM/NCstar and the Roma. seen the Condor but not as keen on that one.

anyone have any experience with either?

anyone suggest a quality one made in the U.S.A. (NCStar and Roma are china-made).

any advice is much appreciated.

Free Man,

I received the NCstar scabbard that you linked for Christmas. I have not been home since I received it. But my initial impression is that it looks to be well made. I will try and update you in about a week when I get home on fit.

Frank

thanks for the input and the welcome.

the voodoo tactical scab i saw looked great and was ambidextrous (i shoot left), but it did not have a retention strap to go around the pistol grip, locking it into the case.

the NCstar and Roma are basically the same thing, have the retention strap, but are set up for right-handers.

anyone have any other suggestions.

maybe i need to get the voodoo then just add a retention strap on my own???

Free Man,

The one I am talking about is the wider one "rifle scabbard". I selected that one for the same reason you are looking at it. I am a South Paw as well. Wish I could give you more info on it, but I won't be able to till next weekend. I have seen posts on the forums for the shotgun scabbard, and they seem to work with shotty's that don't have very many accessories on them. If you are planning on a TAC setup, not sure how the regular ones will work.

Frank

FWIW,

Whether using the scabbard with a standard stock or one with a pistol grip I've never used the retention strap. It's plenty tight and you won't have to worry about the weapon coming out unless you want it to...

I have the Voodoo Tactical. Its a decent scabbard, plenty of MOLLE (I have a machete attached to mine) and its plenty snug. Def won't work if you optics or light or any other accessories, just real decent for field use. The strap it comes with sux though.

For an American made scabbard, you'd have to check with Eberlestock. I don't know if it has a strap though.

I've got a NCstar scabbard and its plenty fine for my usage. The retention strap is great cause I use it to keep the weapon in place whilst running. I do a lot of tactical training.
It also has plenty of places to attach molle and has 2 molle straps included. The sling is ambidextrious as the scabbard itself has many d rings to hook it too. Can get pics if needed!

Here's the Eberlestock;

GS05MG%20SS%20hl.jpg

I've seen on Midway they have these in like a realtree or somethin with MOLLE runnin across em.

Only thing is I don't know if these are meant to work as stand alone pieces or intended to be used with a pack.

They have scabbards for scoped firearms too if you're usin optics or anything.

Is a scabbard considered legal for transport in a vehicle? I am relatively new to Tennessee and I thought the weapon had to be enclosed completely in a case. If so, yeah, I am going to purchase one.

As usual, the letter of the law itself is hard to interpret without a lawyer present.

Basically, under Tennessee law, a handgun, shotgun, or rifle carried by a non-licensed person in a vehicle in Tennessee must be unloaded and in plain view or secured in commercial gun cases. Rifles and shotguns carried in a vehicle must remain unloaded and ammunition must be kept separate ("not in the immediate vicinity") of any firearm unless the vehicle operator has a recognized carry permit. Tennessee now allows valid HCP holders to possess rifles and shotguns with magazine loaded, but chamber unloaded in vehicles.

There's no specific mention of a scabbard, but the law implies that a weapon may be transported "in plain view". These firearms laws in TN are put in place for purposes of "in defense of judgement", to be used in defense of prosecution. I would highly recommend contacting your local Sheriff's Department for their take on scabbard carry. It's one thing to know the letter of the law, but the most valuable information will come from those that may be the ones pulling you over when you have a shotgun in your car...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
It's one thing to know the letter of the law, but the most valuable information will come from those that may be the ones pulling you over when you have a shotgun in your car...

I deal with having to explain Federal Laws to fisherman here in town quite often, just as LES says, your local LEO department would be your best source for information (unless they don't like you for some reason :D )

Thanks for the advice. Even though I don't own a sidearm anymore, I have decided to get a HCP, if that would allow me the "privilege" of quick access. Heck, might as well purchase a handgun, again. All my weapons were stolen years ago. I suppose a .45 acp 1911 frame, since it served me so well in the Army, many moons ago. That is, IF I can find one at a reasonable price nowadays! Geeze!!!

Yes Sir,

With an HCP you will be able to transport your rifle/shotgun loaded, but not chambered, in your vehicle. However this law was passed primarily as a defense of prosecution for farmers/ranchers who need to keep loaded rifles/shotguns in their work trucks to protect their livestock from predators. Before this new law as passed a long gun was considered "loaded" if a loaded magazine was transported within reach of the weapon. Even with an HCP, carrying loaded magazines in a separate compartment of the same rifle case as the weapon was against the law. Same for carrying shells in the same case as a shotgun. Mags and ammo for long guns were to be transported "out of reach" of the weapon, ie. gun in the trunk, mags and ammo inside the vehicle. This still holds true for transporting ANY firearm without a valid HCP. It is currently unlawful for any weapon to be transported within reach of mags or ammo for non-HCP holders. Best to have the weapon in the trunk or in the furthest rear area of an SUV and the ammo as far away from the weapon as possible.

When you get ready to buy your 1911 hit me up.

I've got a great spot in town with 1911 inventory at pre-buying frenzy prices. They're great people who refuse to turn this political craziness into a profit at the expense of their customers...

Excuse me for breaking into this thread. I just picked up a VISM/NcStar shotgun scabbard for my 500 SPX with LPA GRS on it. It seems to be well made and very good for the price.

I noticed my Mossy fits pretty tight in it, most likely becuase of the sights. Does the material stretch/loosen up after a while? Its still quite usable as is, but would like it a little looser getting it out.

I am still working on getting pictures of my 500 SPX and accessories, just need a nice day to get the camera out. I promise :)

Back