• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Mossberg 500 Pump Action Customization and Modification

Ultra500 build video/photos

starting my 500 build. I will provide video demonstrating all products I pick up, including their installation and shooting experience. I'm starting with a Hogue Tamer pistol grip. I will post videos that are much more thorough than this one. ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKX6Wt9FoV4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

As of right now I plan on testing the following products:

Hogue pistol grip
Ergo railed forend
Larue tactical hand stop
Magpul AFG2
Magpul MS3 - Multi-Mission Sling

Re: Another 500 Build...

Didnt think of it from that perspectiv Oli. Good Call. I was thinking if it could be returned to original state, no harm no foul. Either way, cant wait to see it.

Frank

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from IL!!

My two cents......I totally agree with Oli here. Going tactical on Grandpas gun may sound like the smart move but I think you'd be kicking yourself later. Take that gun....try and find a pic or two of your Grandpa with it and set the gun and the pics back to pass down later. Make it a bit of a family heirloom, per se. You can usually pick up a ratted out 500 at pawn shops for under $200......I just rescued a "pound puppy" of my own for $125. Once you go chopping off barrels and modifying and tweaking that gun it won't be "your grandpas gun" anymore.....it'll be a tac'd out Mossberg 500 just like the thousands of others. Save it's history.....you can't re-buy memories for under $200.

But enough of that......

Your planned build sheet looks pretty solid.....I would definitely recommend an oversized safety and flashlight setup for HD use. Pictures and vids of an in-progress build are always welcome, it's a way of passing along what you learned in the process to people who are just starting their own projects. Good luck with your buildup and look forward to seeing the results!!!

If it was one of 50 if your grandpa’s guns then he probably wouldn’t care……I have guns of my Grandpa’s that he would trade/sell no problem……I have a Winchester single shot 16 ga that he worked all summer to buy when he was 16 for 21 bucks new in 1932…..its probably worth $100 now and I would die for its possession.

Like Tim says, whatever you end up doing a light would be nice , and the proper technique to go with it.

Hey David!

Welcome to Mossberg Owners from Central PA! :D Looks like you got the build coming in the mail :)

As far as the barrel is concerned you have MANY options available to you! You could back-order a Brownells "Mossberg 500 Conversion" which is a 20" barrel and 8 shot tube. You could go with Vang Comp and have them cut it and do their custom work with it. Could just buy a 18.5" security barrel... lol It is all personal preference and what kind of shotgun you are looking for

I had it wrong. I will be using the "newer" old 500. Grandpas is going in the case. I have decided on the Vang Comp route. Hopefully I can just buy one from them rather than send one in. I'm not a gunsmith, but I do want a project that I can be proud of and have a blast with as well as security.

I have also decided on a 930 SPX later on. A Benelli would be nice, but DAMN. I'm not against dropping coin for quality or what I want but mandatory raping to mod the gun is a little off-putting!

By the way guys, thanks for all your responses and help. Great community you have here. Cheers!

have fun with your build.don't forget the pictures. :)

Smurf's 500

Here are a couple pics of my shotty with the rail on the bottom of the 590 forend. Got it installed tonight. Got a GG&G rail for an AR15/M16. Drilled the front (visible) side just big enough for the screws to pass through. Counter sunk the back bushings into the under (non-visible) side. A drop of red thread locker on the screws and we're all kindagood. Enjoy the pics guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20130113_004224-1.jpg
    IMG_20130113_004224-1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20130113_004257-1.jpg
    IMG_20130113_004257-1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_20130113_004349-1.jpg
    IMG_20130113_004349-1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 248
Re: Smurf's 500

A full shot and then a close up of the AFG....even the cookie man likes it!

Attachments

• IMG_20130113_004642-1.jpg
    IMG_20130113_004642-1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20130113_005102-1.jpg
    IMG_20130113_005102-1.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 248
Re: Smurf's 500

LES,
Will do bud. Not really worried about recoil YET as I haven't shot it today. I'm more worried about the structural integrity of it. I got finished and waited a couple hours and then racked 21 rounds (pretty hard and fast) to test and she still held up good. So hoping for the best.

take some before and after pics of both. :)

Re: Ultra500 build video/photos

ready to go.

734262_10151628629564622_765211512_n.jpg

Two glitches and I haven't even started yet. As I stated I'm starting to receive parts but...

1). I ordered the wrong color AFG from Magpul. I need the black. Have you tried to contact them lately? Forget it. They are hammered and lines are jammed and email's may as well be junk mail. Good problem to have unless your the customer. I gotta get that changed.

2). The worse problem is that additional pictures that I've found of the Mesa Sureshell Shotshell Ammunition Carrier with 4-1/2" Picatinny Optic Rail 12-Gauge shows to have four holes in the Picatinny area that neither of my 500's have on top of the receiver. Do newer 500's have these or do I need to have a smith do them?

I submit these to the collective...

older receivers are not drilled and tapped on top. you can see a gunsmitty or look into the "weaver convert mount". problem with weaver mount is you are limited to what you can mount on it.

Back