• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 (Buck & Ball)

Like my other ammo post, the actual testing will be done later. We have severe weather in the area now so it will be a few days before I'm able to get out and do some shooting.

I've seen these online before but never felt like ordering any. Well, today while at Wal-Mart with the Mrs., I made my usual ammo counter visit to see what was in stock and if prices were going up or down. I seen these sitting at the bottom left shelf almost out of view and decided that I might as well give them a shot and see how they do out of the 590A1.

One of the main reasons I want to give this a shot is because of where I live, my concern of over-penetration is minimal. All bedrooms are in the hall way and I would not have to worry about any non-targets in between me and the likely points of entry.

I plan on fastening several 2x4 boards together for this test. The shot will be from approximately 10 yards. I'm really interested in seeing ho the three OO pellets will pattern.

IMG_1753.jpg

Just a quick shot from the other day. Distance was around 10 yards roughly (which would likely be the longest possible shot I would have to taken inside the house. Not as bad as I was expecting. All three pellets spread equally without a wild goose, so that's good.

I'll shoot a few more from a little farther out just to see how they keep spreading. I'll also get one at around five yards just because...why not? ;)

IMG_1770.jpg

After seeing this vs some of the other loads Goose, where would you rank this?

Do you see any advantages of these over other loads? Fewer pellets to go stray maybe?

The chance of less stray pellets is a plus with this round. But for my situation, I don't really have to worry about strays as much as other people probably would. I do not have any neighboring houses that are close, so that is a plus for me as well. Not to mention, the outer walls of the house (log cabin) are 6"x6" squared logs, so not much is going to cleanly go though them...especially OO buck.

The knock-down power of a 1oz. slug is sure to be more devestating to whomever is on the receiving end I would imagine. Just the shock alone of being hit by one of those would be so unbelieveable that whoever got hit by it probably wouldn't even notice the three OO buck, but that is some good insurance in case the slug doesn't hit any vitals.

I wouldn't run these PDX rounds alone in my 590A1 (which is my primary home self defense weapon), but I could see mixing up a couple of these into the tube along with the Hornady Critical Defense OO, depending on how further testing goes.

Cool, I appreciate that bit of insight! For me personally, I'd rather see a tighter pattern in those 3 00 pellets, so I'll be watching for the 5 yard!

Thanks Goose!

No problem! Just happy to be able to share my experiences with everyone else to give them an 'idea' of how certain loads might perform for them. But like you and others have said in different threads, none of these so called test should be taken as fact. The results I get may not be the same that others would see.

I'm also interested in seeing how the 5-yarder will turn out as well.

I've fired a bunch of these bad boys. Big 5 actually carries them on the regular, unless you go to mine and they're sold out ha. I don't have any pictures but you should see what they can do to a cantelope. Woo hoo!

Deadwhitegoose said:
I've fired a bunch of these bad boys. Big 5 actually carries them on the regular, unless you go to mine and they're sold out ha. I don't have any pictures but you should see what they can do to a cantelope. Woo hoo!

Instant fruit salad! :lol:

Took a few minutes to step out back and do two more shots with the PDX loads.

First shot was ~15 yards give or take. The three pellets still spread out in a triangle pattern, but compared to the 10 yard shot (seen to the right) the pellets didn't spread too much more.

IMG_1787.jpg

And the five yard shot, well...here ya go.

IMG_1789.jpg

Should have a couple videos to share a little later as well.

EAINC said:
Really like the feel and shot pattern of this ammo.

Yeah, it's not as bad as I was expecting it to be. At ~15 yards, the furthest one single pellet was from the slug was less than seven or eight inches...maybe not even that far.

I'll try to remember to take a scale or ruler out there and measure the spread. Didn't even think of doing that when I did the videos.

I had seen this ammo advertised and didn't think it applied to my perceived HD risks (mostly under 5 yards). The 1 ounce slug seemed too much and the 3 buck shots too few. Seems something like a 5/8 or 3/4 oz. slug and 6 buckshot would be more appropriate. However, I realize this would have to be some sort of sabot load to accommodate the slug in the bore diameter.

Anyway, for larger properties it might be good choice. Also, on a property where there is much cover to hide behind the slug might come in handy for the extra penetration.
I'm also coming to realize that at typical closeup shotgun distances the ammo choice debate is mostly a Ford/Chevy/how many angels will fit on the head of a pin thing. At 3 feet or 10 feet it really doesn't make much difference what buckshot a charging felon is hit with. At longer distance Federal le132, slugs, and this ammo start to come into their own. If it is available locally that is also a plus.

Finally bought and tried out some of these myself, today. They definitely make a pretty pattern, especially considering what I was expecting. The slugs made a pretty mess of my sheetmetal target, too. :D Take care. Tom Worthington.

Back