• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

State Capital Protest information

I have been in constant email contact with Greg Ball and only wish we had more senators like him!

Sounds like a good one to have especially in light of NY politics.

Lived there till I was 17, joined the military and have only gone back to visit family. It sucks you guys are going thru all this but it is a learning experience for the rest of us. Keep your heads up...

He sounds like a great ally. I wish CT had more like him....

DHonovich said:
I have been in constant email contact with Greg Ball and only wish we had more senators like him!

Sounds like a good guy, you do need a lot more like him in NY.

The Blaze said:
Tenn. Gun Rally Interrupted After Police Arrest Man Carrying AR-15

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwbmYRN1EBE[/youtube]

A peaceful pro-Second Amendment rally in Nashville, Tenn., hit a bit of a snag after a man showed up with a loaded AR-15, forcing police to arrest him on the spot.

“Organizers often request that people who show up to rallies leave their weapons at home, but one man didn’t get that message and now faces a misdemeanor,” WSMV reports.

“Troopers arrested Reggie Robertson of Byrdstown for carrying an AR-15 as about 100 people gathered to express their concern about the proposals in Washington to limit semiautomatic assault rifles and high-capacity magazines,” the report adds.

Link to Full Story

Maybe some of our TN members can shed some light on this one. I'm not familiar with the TN laws on this.

Well I know in PA there were a few people with AR's.. whether they were loaded was never disclosed and that I think is the main problem here... maybe.. it was loaded or maybe he didn't have a permit?

MikeD said:
Maybe some of our TN members can shed some light on this one. I'm not familiar with the TN laws on this.

well hickock45 could probably tell us....

If you weren’t armed at ours you were in the minority, there were very few not armed

Our carry permits here in TN are an HCP- HANDGUN Carry Permit, and are limited to handguns only.

Carrying a loaded rifle in public is unlawful carry throughout the state, permit or not. If numbnuts was awake during his certification class he should have known this...

Thanks for clarification LES.

You could have a million people all doing everything right and one idiot screws up and that's what gets the attention. We as gun owners are way to often our own worst enemy.

Getting arrested like this at a rally promoting 2A and responsible gun ownership does not help our cause at all.

Sadly, that may be blown up to represent the firearms community as a whole. As if we are all careless and do what we want... have no regards for laws and such things... I am sure he saw the picture of the guy in a Boscov's and the guy here in PA that both had AR's on their back.. problem is that We here in PA can do that stuff and unfortunately you cannot.

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Our carry permits here in TN are an HCP- HANDGUN Carry Permit, and are limited to handguns only.

Carrying a loaded rifle in public is unlawful carry throughout the state, permit or not. If numbnuts was awake during his certification class he should have known this...

Isn't Tennesee the stomping grounds for the guy who insists on open-carrying an AK-47 "pistol" in as many packed public places as he can with the sole intention of shocking people? As much as guys like this think they are helping the cause of the 2nd Ammendment they really hurt it more than they can understand. We've got several guys here in Illinois who are hoping the 180 day deadline for CCW passes with no Bill so they "Can strap a Super Redhawk in a chest rig on and a .45 on both hips just to scare the bejeezus out of them anti's"........all I can do is facepalm as I shake my head.

EDIT: Yup, here's the guy I was thinking of http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/gunman-vows-continue-carrying-ak-47-parks

Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

We are fighting a media war as well as a constitutional war. Perception is one of our biggest enemies. I just wish that more people took that into consideration. Every time any one of us go into public carrying a gun, concealed, open, etc, we represent the entire gun comminuty and our actions will speak for the entire gun community. It's not fair and it's a lot of responibility but it's a reality that our current media environment has created. We are all role models whether we want to be or not.

I will not tell anyone how or what to carry but I will remind people to seriously think about how they will be perceived in the media.

As much as I am a staunch believer in doing whatever the hell I want without hurting anyone, there a couple guys from here, far right country, who go to Portland, far left country, and strap on AR’s in the front and walk Portland on a regular basis……no sighs or anything.
Right after all the shootings and such going on, I told them they need to pack sign or something and put the AR’s on a shoulder or the back. I told them that if I saw that soon after all these shooting I would consider drawing my gun on a “psychos with a gun by the school” and if you even moved that AR you might get shot…there are some jumpy people out there. I think if folks made their intentions more clear they were exercising a right it would be easier to swallow, fckn media going to report what they want anyway, make you look just how they want you to look.

I am not disagreeing with you guys but if we let the media dictate how we express ourselves then they have already won….there are people in OR who are preaching about a “dress code” for the rallies…because they are AFRAID of what the media might think or say if someone has on black or a camo jacket……as you can imagine, I have been handing these folks their balls on a platter.
This is the great melting pot. Everyone has the right to dress the way they want, America is about diversity …..A dress code is the exact mentality that will unravel democracy. I don’t think we need to be militant , yet, but I don’t think we should play by the enemies rules 100% either

OH has an open carry law so a lot of folks at the demonstrations had their weapons on them. But one "quirk" to OH laws is while it is legal to open carry it is illegal to incite panic. All it takes is one frantic phone call, or one caller saying they are scared, and you will be arrested for inciting panic. I doubt anything will happen at a rally but if you go out alone you are opening yourself up to arrest and weapon confiscation. It has happened more than once...

As for my feelings, carry what you want. I chose to leave mine out of the picture. There is no need for anyone to know exactly what I have and what I carry. Let it be a surprise...

Well said, Mike. Public perception is hugely important right now.....and as firearm owners we need to do all we can to keep that perception of us positive for now. The fact is, most people in this country aren't "pro-gun" or "anti-gun".....they are somewhere in the middle, right around the "don't really care" opinion. We need to put forth an effort to get as many of the "don't care" crowd onto the pro-2A side as possible. Bringing new people into the culture is the only way we can keep the culture alive and the only way we can continue to keep the pressure on the politicians. Your average American doesn't view someone walking into the grocery store with an AR slung over their shoulder as "a rugged individual, exercising their 2A rights"......They see that person as a potential threat. 911 will get called, police will show up and people will in general be getting the crap scared out of them. Not exactly a good way to bring those fence-sitters over to our side. Not to mention the possibility, due to recent tragedies, of a confrontation with a potentially jumpy, fellow armed individual.

I guess in my opinion we, as gun owners, need to encourage each other to exercise common sense before we exercise the Second Ammendment. We need to do everything we can to increase our base of support......not scare them off.

Tim4k5 said:
Isn't Tennesee the stomping grounds for the guy who insists on open-carrying an AK-47 "pistol" in as many packed public places as he can with the sole intention of shocking people? As much as guys like this think they are helping the cause of the 2nd Ammendment they really hurt it more than they can understand. We've got several guys here in Illinois who are hoping the 180 day deadline for CCW passes with no Bill so they "Can strap a Super Redhawk in a chest rig on and a .45 on both hips just to scare the bejeezus out of them anti's"........all I can do is facepalm as I shake my head.

EDIT: Yup, here's the guy I was thinking of http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/gunman-vows-continue-carrying-ak-47-parks

Unfortunately, yes.

This douche lives just outside of town and has had four separate run-ins with local police, including the state park incident. Whatever his intentions, this individual is working against us. His actions have opened the door for legal precedents to be set against lawful citizens who wish to simply exercise their right to open carry. Now, due to the circuit court's ruling in this case (ref. Embody vs. Ward), the legal precedent is set that here in TN if you "look suspicious" while legally exercising your right to OC you may be forcibly disarmed, detained, and possibly lose your right to carry all together.

This guy belongs in a basement somewhere huffin paint, not out in public representing anyone else...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Tim4k5 said:

Unfortunately, yes.

This douche lives just outside of town and has had four separate run-ins with local police, including the state park incident. Whatever his intentions, this individual is working against us. His actions have opened the door for legal precedents to be set against lawful citizens who wish to simply exercise their right to open carry. Now, due to the circuit court's ruling in this case (ref. Embody vs. Ward), the legal precedent is set that here in TN if you "look suspicious" while legally exercising your right to OC you may be forcibly disarmed, detained, and possibly lose your right to carry all together.

This guy belongs in a basement somewhere huffin paint, not out in public representing anyone else...

He had his "pistol" capped with an orange tip...Those are for toys. Just that right there, he should lose it for douchebaggery.

The scary part is, even after this incident he was granted a home-based FFL and now runs a business transferring firearms out of his house...

He's a liability. Someones going to mistake him for a crazy and cap his ass.....

ripjack13 said:
Someones going to mistake him for a crazy and cap his ass.....

^^^This^^^

The First Amendment protects the right to free speech, but if you were to walk into a theatre and scream "Fire!" you would be in deep crap if the building wasn't burning. Nobody has a problem with this bit of regulation of an Amendment because of the fact that people could be injured or killed by the panic caused by yelling fire.

Walking around with a firearm that is chosen for the simple fact of getting the biggest visual scare possible out of people is the Second Amendment equivalent of yelling "Fire!" in the theatre. Nothing good comes from causing a panic.....

As for this clown choosing to paint the muzzle of his gun orange......I agree that it is a sure sign of severe douchebaggery and it's kind of a shame that there isn't some kind of law he could be charged under in regards to that

Back