• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

KY Senate bill 129 passes first hurdle

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'm going to be sending my rep a personal thank you letter for cosponsoring this and seeing it through.

Coincidentally, I also received a personal letter from Speaker of the House Greg Stumbo about it yesterday but it hadn't went up for vote yet.

Now we're just waiting for the Governor to sign it. And if not, looks like there would be a majority if he does try to veto it anyway. Which of course is possible.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/193178021.html

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/13RS/SB129.htm

SB 129 (BR 1546) - J. Carpenter, R. Jones II, W. Blevins Jr., C. Girdler, D. Givens, S. Gregory, P. Hornback, S. Humphries, B. Leeper, C. McDaniel, A. Robinson, J. Schickel, D. Seum, B. Smith, D. Thayer, M. Wilson

AN ACT relating to firearms and declaring an emergency.
Create a new section of KRS Chapter 237 to prohibit the enforceability of any new federal law, rule, regulation, or order relating to the ownership or registration of certain firearms, magazines, or other firearms accessories; EMERGENCY.

Feb 11-introduced in Senate
Feb 13-to Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection (S)
Feb 20-taken from Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection (S); 1st reading; returned to Veterans, Military Affairs, & Public Protection (S)
Feb 21-reported favorably, 2nd reading, to Rules
Feb 25-posted for passage in the Regular Orders of the Day for Monday, February 25, 2013; 3rd reading, passed 34-3

VOTE HISTORY
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/13RS/SB129 ... istory.pdf

document file
http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/13RS/SB129/bill.doc

Re: KY Senate bill 129 passes

Go shoot your gun in the air...thats cool as hell

Outstanding!

This is the model more states should be following...

Awesome!!

tumblr_m7wumnwMIh1qb0dqa.gif

Yeah I thought you'd like that KY Windage ;)

I'm still trying to find the exact wording of the bill to paste it.

AN ACT relating to firearms and declaring an emergency.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:
SECTION 1. A NEW SECTION OF KRS CHAPTER 237 IS CREATED TO READ AS FOLLOWS:
(1) Any federal law, rule, regulation, or order created on or after January 1, 2013, including any amendment or other change made after January 1, 2013, to a preexisting federal law, rule, regulation, or order, shall be unenforceable within the borders of Kentucky if the law, rule, regulation, order, amendment, or other change attempts to:
(a) Ban or restrict ownership of a semi-automatic firearm, magazine, or other firearm accessory; or
(b) Require any firearm, magazine, or other firearm accessory to be registered in any manner.
(2) This section shall not alter or amend the enforceability of the provisions of any federal law, rule, regulation, or order in effect prior to January 1, 2013, but shall alter the enforceability of any amendment or other change made to such a federal law, rule, regulation, or order.
Section 2. Whereas the right of the people to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the State is an inherent and inalienable right under the Kentucky Constitution and the preservation of that rights brooks no delay, an emergency is declared to exist, and this Act takes effect upon its passage and approval by the Governor or upon its otherwise becoming a law.

Looks good John......Hopefully your Governor puts his pen on it and you can all breathe a bit easier down there. :)

Governor party ends in (D) so it's possible that he doesn't sign it. But if he veto's it, with a vote of 34-3 to get it to his desk, shows that they'll have more than the votes needed to enact it into law with or without the Governors signature.

That pesky check and balances thing. :lol:

As a precaution, I did take a few minutes to personally email the governor last night again to let him know I think he should sign it, and if he doesn't that I'll do everything within my power to make sure he does not get re-elected.

Which given the dislike most people in my area already feel of him would probably not be too hard with the poor economy and astronomical unemployment rates the way they are already.

Add in to the fact he did nothing to protect their guns, and it would be political suicide on his part not to sign it where my region is concerned.

And that's not even taking into consideration those living and working around Ft. Knox and Ft. Cambell would be highly ticked as well.

And those living in/around Knob Creek, home of the largest NFA club/range in the country.

I would not want to be him.

Ahh, Gov Brashear. He can be a tool.

Hopefully, some of the same common sense will filter up here to OH but I'm not holding my breath. Two bills are up for consideration...SB-36 is a pro-gun bill. SB-18 is just the opposite...ban this, ban that.

Reply from Senator Smith to my thank you letter for Cosponsoring the protection bill

First of all, I would like to thank you for contacting me at my capital office. It is through input like yours that I am able to stay informed about what really matters to my constituents back home. Please rest assured that I have heard your concerns and take them to heart.

As a firm supporter of the second amendment, I hold dear our constitutional rights and was happy to sponsor SB 129. In addition to being an avid hunter, I believe that our founding fathers had the foresight to protect our personal rights. I apologize that you must even worry about this right but will continue to do my part to stand up for our right to bear arms.

Again, thank you for making me aware of your concerns. If I can ever be of assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Your friend and public servant,

Brandon D. Smith

wasn't signed into law

I called Sen Smith's office to find out what happened with the bill and am less than happy about the outcome.

It never made it to the Gov's desk.

Feb 27, 2013 House sent to Judiciary committee(H)
Mar 7, 2013 discharge petition filed; posted in committee

Thought it was done deals....guess you can still go outside and shoot your gun in the air.... because you are pissed.

It’s never going to be over, no matter where we live or what we are told, we are just kept in the dark and fed shit, even from our “allies”

WTF?

MikeD, that was my initial thought as well

Back