• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. F

Why on earth does Mossberg use a one-way screw to hold the safety?

If you're having trouble, get a gunsmith to do it. As others have noted, you need to get a sharp edge to put an indentation into the screw...once it's there you can use a flathead screw driver to get that bugger out. Absolutely a PITA, but well worth it for switching in a more ergonomic safety...
  2. F

Mossberg 590 Side Saddles and Shell Holders

TacStar (i think that's the brand name) makes a 6 shot shell holder. Uses the ejector screw (inside of the receiver and a new threaded bolt that goes through the trigger housing). Very reasonable price ($30 tops if I recall correctly) and works very well. With this and the 8+1 capacity of the...
  3. F

Recoil Pad options for 590?

Limbsaver makes a decent product, but their customer service is lacking. Previously I bought a limbsaver pad for Mossberg's synthetic speed-feed stock...only found out after the purchase that the stock was not set up the same way as Mossberg's regular stock and would not accept limbsaver pads...
  4. F

I'll show you mine if you show me yours! 590 photo thread!

Got it. So given the front sights you have on your Mossberg, I'm guessing that you had to force the heatshield's front clamps over the front of the barrel in order to install it, correct? I see that Mossberg now offers a heatshield for 590a1's with front (non-bead) sights. I was hoping that...
  5. F

Sorry, for the late response; I just saw this post. For my limbsaver pad (I can't speak to anyone else's experience), there were no bolts provided. I was installing a Remington 870 limbsaver recoil pad into the Magpul SGA stock, so my part #'s are likely a bit different from yours. I...
  6. F

590a1 8+1 capacity w/ 20" barrel and XS ghost ring sights. Started out with Synthetic speed-feed stock; LOP was too long and it was incapable of accepting aftermarket recoil pads, so I switched it out for a Magpul SGA stock, w/ medium cheek riser and Remington 870 recoil pad. 6-shot Tac-star...
  7. F

What kind of heat shield do you have installed and how did you get it on? The front attachment spacer looks different from what I have on mine.
  8. F

My Mossberg 590A1 Mod

I really like how you're resorting to DIY as opposed to just buying Magpul's accessories for cheek risers, stock optimization, ect. If I had the time and patience, I would've followed your lead on my own Mossberg 590a1 build. Quick word on the front sling attachment; I know you've already...
  9. F

Limbsaver recoil pad for the 590a1 is #10201. However, that recoil pad only fits the plain, vanilla synthetic Mossberg stock (does not feed the speed-feed variant). It also will not fit the Magpul SGA stock; you need to buy the Limbsaver pad for Remington 870 and buy an adpater kit from Magpul.
  10. F

epic limbsaver fail

Refer to dedicated 'Recoil Pad' thread...good info on there.
  11. F

590a1 heatshield

I'm not sure I understand what the video is demonstrating.
  12. F

My Mossberg 590A1 Mod

Awesome work! My 590a1 started out with a synthetic speed-feed stock. LOP was too long and butt pad cushioning was non-existent. I ended up going with a Magpul SGA stock, but if I had the time and patience, I would've ended up modifying my original stock for better ergonomics like you did...
  13. F

590a1 heatshield

I see that the new 590a1 Retrograde has a heatshield installed as it comes from the factory. My question is: how did Mossberg get that heatshield installed and is it the same heatshield that you can buy as an accessory for other 590a1's? Normally, heatshields are installed by removing the...
  14. F

590a1 forward sling attachment options

Thanks for the input. And I understand what you're saying about the swivel stud mounting points being better suited to vertical shoulder-style carry vs. tactical carry. I thought that the sling attachment hook might have some amount of articulation on the sling loop (to allow for a tactical...
  15. F

The picture I posted was borrowed from someone else (actually I think it was from another member of this forum). As I understand it, he put a swivel stud in the bayonet lug (there is a hole in the back of the lug which accepts those studs) and then attached a traditional sling loop attachment...
  16. F

I'm still considering the GG&G modification. However, I've taken a look at my 590a1's bayonet lug and I think I've figured out how the sling/swivel is attached in the above picture. There is, in fact, a drilled hole in the back of the bayonet lug (which I believe will accept swivel studs). A...
  17. F

I'm looking to add a 2-point sling to my 590a1. I have a Magpul stock installed, so my rear sling connection will either utilize QD mounts or built-in sling loop bar. I'm scratching my head a bit on how to attach the front part. I was originally leaning towards trying to utilize the front...
  18. F

Mossberg 590 Pump Action Stock Options

Old post, but I wanted to add some clarifying comments in case anyone is trying to add the Magpul stock to the 590 or 590a1. I went with the Magpul stock in order to better customize the LOP and cheek position/weld. Also, the Magpul stock offers better recoil pad options over what was...
  19. F

Shortened my 590A1 OEM stock...

I had the same issue with my synthetic speed-feed stock. I did briefly consider going the same route as the OP (shortening the stock with a saw), but that would not have addressed the other issue I had: cheek weld. The Magpul mossberg modular stock, though a bit pricey, really does address a...
  20. F

Tuning the 590A1 Trigger

My stock 590a1's trigger has quite a bit of slop in it. I suppose I could have it tuned somewhat, but I never thought of pump-action shotguns as having "nice" triggers.
Back