• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. N

Can I shorten an 835 barrel and use it on a 590?

I have an 18" 590 (non-A1) and found a used 28" 835 barrel in a pawn shop for a good price. I want a vent rib barrel on my 590 so I would like to buy the 835 barrel and have it cut down to 18". Will this work? I know I'm limited to 3" shells due to 590 receiver size and I've read the 835 barrel...
  2. N

Why dual extractors?

I understand the theoretical reliability increase that should result from having 2 extractors instead of one, but I don't know of any other brand that uses 2 extractors. Will the 500/590 series still run if one extractor breaks?
  3. N

Stippling for 590 Magpul Forend

Has anyone had their Magpul forend stippled? I really like mine, but when it's hot out and my hands are sweaty it's a bit slippery. I've emailed a couple guys who offer Glock frame stippling to ask if they would do a 590 forend but never heard back.
  4. N

2.75" vs 3" #1 buckshot

Anyone use 3" #1 buckshot for home defense? I cut open a few different types of shells today to compare different pellet sizes and wad types, and it got me thinking. Some advocate #4 for HD but I don't like to go smaller than #1, and I currently use 2.75" #1 (Federal Flite Control). I was...
  5. N

Ambidextrous light mount on 590?

I have an Inforce WML that I swap between my AR and 590. On the AR I mount it at 12:00 so I can activate it with either hand, and on the 590 I tried mounting it at 6:00 but found it too awkward to reliably activate because of the angle of the button, so I moved it to 9:00 so I can work the pump...
  6. N

S&J Sling Plate Compatible with 590 Barrel?

I have an S&J extension on my 590 (standard barrel). Last night I tried installing the sling plate that came with the extension. When I slide the plate over the extension, there is a gap between the top of the plate and the bottom of the barrel. I am not sure if my plate is possibly defective...
  7. N

18.5" vent rib barrel?

Does Mossberg make an 18.5" vent rib barrel? I think vent ribs look cool and wouldn't mind raising the bead a little. If not I guess my only option is to shorten a longer barrel.
  8. N

Checking over a used 500

I found a good deal on a used 500 near me and am considering buying it to add to my collection alongside my 590. I bought my 590 new and it's been great but I'm not sure what to look for on a used 500 to make sure it's in good shape. The seller says it has about 50 shells through it and it looks...
  9. N

Flite Control at close ranges (>10 yards)

I'm relatively new to shotguns for home defense and I bought some Federal LE132-1B because I read on a bunch of different sites that it is the optimal home defense 12 gauge load. I've been reading more on how the Flite Control wad works and it sounds like the shot doesn't separate from the wad...
  10. N

Making my 590 more versatile for hunting

I have an 18.5" 590 (50778) for home defense with Magpul furniture and an S&J extension and I love it. I was thinking about how it would be cool to have additional barrels for hunting, but barrels that work with the 590/835 mag tube interface are pretty expensive and hard to find. I also...
  11. N

Heavier loads in winter?

I recently purchased a 590 and my home defense round is LE132-1b #1 "flite control". I've seen gel tests that look pretty devastating, but nothing that shows penetration through thick clothing like winter coats. If someone breaks in in the winter, they will probably be wearing a coat. Does it...
  12. N

Question about velcro sidesaddles

I would like to add a velcro sidesaddle to my 590 but I'm concerned about what happens when the velcro wears out. How do I remove the industrial-strength adhesive from the receiver without ruining the finish, etc?
  13. N

Attaching picatinny rail directly to shotgun forend

I would like to mount my Inforce WML to my 590 and have been researching all the different options. The Magpul forend has good reviews but I think it's a little strange looking. The Mako Group has a railed forend but the rails seem to stick out excessively far and it has a rail on the bottom...
  14. N

Magpul vs Hogue stock

I want to put a shorter LOP stock on my 590 but not sure if I should go with the Magpul or Hogue stock. I'm leaning toward the Hogue because it's less expensive, I have a bead sight so don't need to raise cheekweld, and I think the Magpul looks a little weird. I've tried the Magpul and it felt...
  15. N

590 Wood Furniture Questions

I've seen a couple pictures of 590s with wood stocks/forends on here and they look great. I was wondering where you guys are getting the furniture. Checked out Havlin but don't really see how I can be sure to get a matching set with a shorter LOP wood stock. Also, how much heavier is the wood...
Back