• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. S

Mossy 500 no go with slugs

At risk of completely sidetracking the conversation, remember that you're currently shooting a smooth bore with bead sights. Six inches at fifty yards is kinda a practical limit. I managed about an eight inch group with Federal slugs (every gun store in town has exactly two boxes of the stuff, I...
  2. S

Whats a 20" vent rib good for?

Out of curiosity, does your 20" barrel have any kind of sling attachment? My '99 28" has a tapped hole, no stud.
  3. S

First shotshell reloader, what to get?

All the troublesome shells have been tossed, I've little desire to buy more Fiocchi. Are you sure the extractors are the issue? They certainly seem to grab the rim nicely, it feels like the case is getting stuck. Once the bolt moves the shell comes with it.
  4. S

Chamber erosion was present when I purchased the shotgun, can't blame that on Fiocchi. For all I know the previous owner was shooting nails and other stupid shit through the gun. Fiocchi shells tend to be difficult to extract from my 500. A box of orange hulls in particular gave me twenty-four...
  5. S

Well... there is this weird ring of erosion in the chamber, well behind the throat. Gun doesn't like Fiocchi ammo, either clear or (in fact particularly) their orange hulls.
  6. S

My newfound trap hobby is getting... ridiculously expensive. Mind you that's while working on league day. Solution is obvious enough, 12 gauge reloading isn't hard and I'm even willing to experiment with shot dripping. Question is what reloading press to buy, preferably for under $100. Through...
  7. S

Mossberg 500 Mainspring Retaining Pin walking out

Plastic trigger housing, not adjustable.
  8. S

What the hell federal?

Purchased four boxes of Federal Field & Range from a big-box store in town. Three of the four were fine, one had an issue: I inspected all one hundred shells at home. The five shells you see above all came from the same box, though I know not exactly where in the box as I dumped the whole...
  9. S

Mossberg 500 Mainspring Retaining Pin walking out

When I purchased my 1999 Mossberg 500 I found it extremely difficult to remove the trigger group. This, I found, was because the mainspring retaining pin had moved from it's hole and was catching on the stock. Pushing the pin back into place resolved the issue. Until Sunday's four rounds of...
  10. S

Help!!!

Guess I'm lucky with the hand-tight tube on my '99. Next time you have threads that won't give, try hitting them with an ultralight penetrating oil, or even a full-on solvent like Conn 500 suggested.
  11. S

Whats a 20" vent rib good for?

If you don't find it useful I'm sure someone (me) on here would be willing to buy it off you.
  12. S

Difficult extraction in a Mossberg 500.

Quick trip to the trap club produced three difficult extractions in two boxes. In all cases the action was difficult to impossible to open for ten or fifteen seconds, then cycled as normal. My first impression was that the shells were partially melting in the warm barrel, efforts to keep the...
  13. S

Just bought a shotgun, and it's dry on the inside.

I've every intention of shooting a a thousand rounds per year at least. You're suggesting that regular cleaning after range days will be fine?
  14. S

I'm probably paranoid about corrosion, particularly since the only salt water in South Dakota is on the roads mid winter.
  15. S

Purchased a well used but perhaps neglected Mossberg 500A in 12 gauge with a 28" barrel, made in 1999. Wood is nicely dinged, paint on the receiver shows obvious wear from being held against the body, and all the wear surfaces inside have a nice shine. This gun probably put a few meals on the...
  16. S

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

My 500A (serial number P673xxx) was made in 1999. Customer service did not supply a month.
Back