• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. MrSluggo

Mr Cheap goes buying a .338 Win Mag .... for cheap !

Well, just a quick, First-Peek-Out-Of-The-Box review: Sweeeeeet. The barrel definitely isn't a bull barrel, but I wouldn't call it a pencil barrel, either. Kind of an in-betweener. Fluted, which looks nice, and the muzzle has a nice crown, well done. The button rifling is very well done...
  2. MrSluggo

Good advice, to be sure. I might go with a Boyd's stock for $150 but I'll wait to see how she shoots. No sense in putting lipstick on a pig if she turns out to be a pig. I think it'll turn out at least all right, "Good Enough" so to speak. I know one thing, rounds are a little more expensive...
  3. MrSluggo

Okay, I'm mostly a shotgun guy, nothing fancy, just Mossberg pumps (500's and 535's). I have a number of 22LR rifles (I'll admit it; they're Marlin 60's and Glenfields !). I bought a T/C .243 Compass a little while back that wound up costing $160 (after rebate) because, well, just because...
  4. MrSluggo

Mossberg Owners hat on tour

I'm pretty good at resurrecting the dead. :eek: .... as evidenced by a post I just made in the Mossberg Rifle 4x4 thread. If anybody has any questions about Noah's Ark, I'm your "Go To" guy. ;)
  5. MrSluggo

Mossberg Owners hat on tour

Will this hat make my butt look fat ? You know what, I don't care if it does ! :rolleye: Definitely put me down for a "For Sure".If you need some moolah up front, that's good too. :thanks:
  6. MrSluggo

MVP

Nice looking ! Did you MVP come stock with a muzzle brake, or is that after market ?
  7. MrSluggo

Why does Mossberg get no respect?

Daaaammmmm, that's nice ! Fluted, stainless (?) barrel, factory Boyd-like stock, ....... I'd be willing to bet that that rig can shoot close to MOA at 100 .... heck, 150 yards !!! ;):) Just a second. Okay, I'm back. I had to put my T/C Compass back in the closet and lock the door. I...
  8. MrSluggo

New guy from Charlotte, NC

Welcome from Missouri ! BTW, my son's name is also Mike. Any relation ? ;)
  9. MrSluggo

Hello from NW Kansas

Welcome from Missouri ! Do me one little favor, if you would: I have some stuff coming from Kaw Valley Precision via FedEx, so if you could stay off the highway for the next day or two (to give FedEx a clearer route), I'd appreciate it. :)
  10. MrSluggo

Well, I don't want you to have to suffer with that Mossberg 30-30 anymore, so I think you should just get rid of it. I'd be willing to pay shipping/handling to take that troublemaker off of your hands. ;):) Nice gun. :) For my Mossberg 535, I have spare parts at the ready in the event...
  11. MrSluggo

This may be a little sacrilegious here, but I'm going to confess: a week ago I bought a .243 off of Sportsmansguide for $200 (after rebate). It has a 22" 5R floated barrel, 5-round rotary magazine, nice useful 3-way safety, a cheap but robust bolt, and a synthetic stock that is very stout, ie...
  12. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

I meant to mention that the "Patented Rear" on the Magnum Classic is held on by a .... SCREW. That's what I mean by "Old School". I checked for the video on Ballistics Products website for the video of Dave Fackler roll crimping and here's that video on Youtube...
  13. MrSluggo

Brenneke Black Magic 3" heavy magnum slugs in stock!

True, and if I remember correctly, you can shoot it through a choked barrel (up to "Modified") with accuracy kind of suffering. I'd hate to try shooting that slug through a turkey gun with a FULL XXX turkey choke. That would definitely fall into the "Not a Good Idea" category. :omg:
  14. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

That .... is ...... AWESOME ! Greg, what tool do you use to roll crimp your shells ? One of my often visited (but never buy:() sites is "Ballistic Products". The old coot, and he calls himself "The Old Curmudgeon", has a video on his site where he shows a simple tool for roll crimping. The...
  15. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

Yep, that's the adapter we have, Opsol. Worth every penny. We had some 2 1/4" 00 Buck shells that I forgot to try out with the Opsol in the 500 to see if they would also cycle. After firing 20 mini's, I figured that was enough money shot downrange and took the Opsol out to fire regular 2 3/4"...
  16. MrSluggo

Brenneke Black Magic 3" heavy magnum slugs in stock!

When you absolutely, positively have to stop something in its tracks, turn to Brenneke and their 3" Magnum Crush 12-gauge slug. 666 grains, 1650 fps, 3850 ft/lbs at the muzzle. Not a slug that you want to go plinking with. The Black Magic slug is right up there, VERY worthy, and something...
  17. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

I am going to get around to cutting open one of my Aquila mini-slugs, btw. That means I'm going to have to get up off of the couch though ! :eek:
  18. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

4I checked out Academy, got sidetracked, and wound up getting 5 boxes of Kent Turkey 12-gauge 2 3/4" shotshells. They weren't all that cheap ($5.99 a box of 10) but these relatively unknown shotshells are really good and tight. With free shipping at $30, it was a no-brainer, IMO. Lets me keep...
  19. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

I got a little side-tracked there (as usual) but the nice thing about the rubber adapter is that it goes in, with some effort, and can be removed with some effort. Not a lot of effort, where you start cussing :mad: but enough that it gives you confidence that it isn't going to come loose easily.
  20. MrSluggo

aquila mini shot shell

Thanks for that suggestion, Richard. It does sound like that is more of a permanent adapter arrangement than I had in mind but I DO appreciate that input. I do have the rubber adapter for the Mossberg 500 and we tried it out at the range yesterday. We fit 8 in the tube, cycled one into the...
Back